It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• how long does withdraws last?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
    ilovejoaquim
    Inactive
    (female)

ilovejoaquim HB User
    how long does withdraws last?

i've been taking percosets for a few about 6-8 months now, at first started with one 5mg tab every few hours, now it's 3-5mg tabs every hour to feel the "high" in them.
    I'm extremely addicted and want to stop but when i wake up i get the strongest urge to have one and i feel irritable, restless, moody, tired, achy, depressed, mopy, and have no energy.

Are these typical withdrawl symptoms? How long does it take for these symptoms to go away before I can start feeling alive again without them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User
    Re: how long does withdraws last?

how many a day were u taking and for how long, then i can give you a pretty good idea of what youll experience, i have been through the same thing with those percs

let us know, hang in there

Old 09-26-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
    ilovejoaquim
    Inactive
    (female)

ilovejoaquim HB User

like i said in the original post, i started off with one 5mg maybe 4 times a day and now it's up to 3-5mg at once every hour or so

i started taking them about 6 months ago

Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User

have you tried taper, me i couldnt not enough will power, if you stopped now youll probably be back to normal in about 2 weeks

but you taking a little more and more often then me, keep us posted

Old 09-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
    mosesport
    (male)

mosesport HB User

I'm not sure if you got my reply when you posted on the anxiety forum, but I'm very worried about your child if you're still taking sleeping pills all the time to sleep your day away. Please don't neglect your child. It sounds like you really need help.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #6
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

Hey there! I also replied when you first posted on the anxiety board. By the time I was done typing, it said the post had been moved. Made me so mad because it was a long reply. I have been off hydrocodone for a month now. I was not taking nearly as many as you, usually about 2 a day. I ran out and was not prepared for the physical side effects. I was extremely tired, body aches, headaches, stomach issues and extremely depressed. Not realizing I was going thru withdrawal, I went to my doctor (who does not know about the addiction) and she thought my syptoms were all from depression. I had been on Paxil for about 2 yrs but she switched me to Cymbalta and I can't tell you how much better I feel now! I've been on the Cymbalta about 10 days and actually felt "happy" yesterday - first in a long time. Anyway, since you are taking such high doses, I think you should taper down to start. Make yourself wait longer and take lower doses each time. When you get to the end, you'll have withdrawal and get ready for the big time depression. My withdrawal lasted about a few weeks but I've made it a month now and with the help of the Cymbalta am feeling human again.
    You CAN do it. You HAVE TO do it. Trust me, if you don't your life will only go downhill.
    Best wishes to you kiddo!
    JB

Old 09-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
    ms1
    (male)

ms1 HB Userms1 HB User

Okay, so here it goes.... First post.I have been taking hydrocodone for about three years. It was originally prescribed for a back/disc injury that I incurred on duty. As the story goes I needed more to get the same effects and ended up taking about 10-13 norco (10mg hydrocodone/ 325 tylenol) daily. On my days off I coupled this with alcohol. Needless to say it caused problems, mainly with my marriage and failure to be the best father I can be. I see everyone saying the same thing I said, and say. "It made me happy. I need it for energy." Unfortunately this is true for a while. Before you know it you are strung out though. When I ran out (on a monthly basis) I had severe withdrawls. Ever watched the movie "Trainspotting"? Yeah, the whole skin crawling, cold sweats, stomachache, baby crawling on the ceiling, could it get any worse type of withdrawl. I learned after a couple of years that I had to taper as best I could but sometimes I just couldn't keep my hand out of the cookie jar. I am not a scumbag junkie (and i am not implying anyone else is). I am educated. I have a great family and job. THIS CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE I now realize and does to approximately seven percent of all prescribees (National Institute on Drug Abuse). I should have known better but I didn't heed the warning signs. Likewise, when my wonderful wife dropped the bomb that she was about to leave me three weeks ago I was crushed ! She had all she could take of the monthly withdrawls, mood swings, lack of family engagement, and deception about if or how much medicine I was taking. I have been clean for two and a half weeks now. I called my pharmacy and pain management doctor and told them I can no longer take hydrocodone or any other opiod because I am incapable of taking it as prescribed. I am going to counseling (couples and individual) and seeing a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety medication options. I am also planning to seek another doctors opinion regarding my back and see what non-narcotic options I have. Whew ! This was a lot of typing and I'll wrap it up. Oh, and to answer the originally posted withdrawl question: physical withdrawl subsides after about three days but may re-emerge briefly around day 5 or 7. The depression lasts a couple of weeks so dont be afraid to see someone about it even if it is just for depression medication but be honest. I never felt so good as I do now when I tell the right people the truth about the mistakes I made. They are very supportive. I am refusing my psychiatrists demand to go to drug rehab however. I don't mean to stop short of doing everything I can but I am drawing the line. I hope its not th wrong thing to do. My wife gave me a list of written stipulations I must meet to keep her and they are all selfless. They revolve around getting help and stopping the self destructive pattern. I whole-heartedly aggreed and I am working frantically and daily to meet my end of the bargain. She is staying as long as I earn it and the glint in her eye and affection in her voice is slowly returning. I am just so remorsefull that I buried her feelings for me with lies and caused her so much pain. I thought I had found the miracle drug that made me the person I thought I should be; energetic, playful, "happy", relaxed. I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Being pleasantly numb is not happiness and all that I avoided over the years is still there for me to deal with. Not to sound to AA cliche but I am really doing this "one day at a time". I would not object to anyone including my family and marriage and maybe even me in their prayers.

Last edited by ms1; 09-28-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
    ms1
    (male)

ms1 HB Userms1 HB User

deleted duplicate

Last edited by ms1; 09-28-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: deleted duplicate

Old 09-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
    ms1
    (male)

ms1 HB Userms1 HB User