It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• what is subetex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
    jellyjones
    (male)

jellyjones HB User
    what is subetex

what is subetex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #2
    FullCircle08
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

FullCircle08 HB User
    Re: what is subetex

I will chime in with what I know --there are a bunch of people on here that are currently on it. If you are refering to SUBOXONE then its the latest and newest version of Anti-Opiate withdrawal meds. Its the Methadone of the 2000's. For some it works great. For some its still an opiate that they can get addicted to. The reason it works so well is because it blocks the ability of other opiates to work. It is very costly and some insurance plans cover it,but most dont.

O

Old 11-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Jelly

My knowledge of this med is textbook and reading the stories of people here on the board who have used it. I have not used it myself.

Subutex is buprenorphine, an opiate that has certain properties to it that block certain opiate receptors in the brain.

Suboxone is buprenorphine with a drug called Naxoleone added to it. The Naxoxone helps to counter the depression of the respitratory and nervous systems that occours when we have used opiates.

Both of these drugs were developed to help in treatment of addiction. As Meddguy wrote, these drugs are the 'new' methadone of this decade. Both are used for addiction issues, although I have no idea what causes a doctor to prescribe one rather than the other.

Some addicts use it very short term , like a week to ten days, to help ease off of whatever drug they are coming off of. Some use it for months, some years. I have read of a few instances where it has been prescribed for long term pain relief.

The pro of what I have read about about the drugs is that they can 'buy time' for someone who is struggling to get off other opiates and has not been able to find success yet. It gives time for the user to get the thoughts together in the head and mentally prepare for withdrawal. I think this has been so very vital for many.

The con I have read about is that it is often a huge struggle to withdraw from these two drugs as it is with any opiate. It has a 'ceiling' property that does not allow the user of it to become high, but keeps them stable. I feel badly when I read of bewilderment when someone goes to come off of it and discovers at that point that withdrawal symptoms are still going to occur.

To go on one of these drugs, a specially licensed doctoior must be found. The government has placed limits on how many patients one doctor may have at a time on these drugs so some times it can be difficult to get in to a doctor's practice for this reason. However, the number of patients being allowed per doctor is slowly being raised as is the number of doctors getting the special certificate.

I think it can be a viable option for some people, provided they walk into using it with wide eyes. To go on it, one must first be in withdrawal for anywhere from 12-36 hours. After an initial consultation with the doctor, a plan for when it will first be administered is made. The patient then returns as scheduled for the first dose , which is given in the doctor's office. Rrelief seems to come quickly... within minutes to half an hour from what friends have shared on this board. I am sure some of those experienced first hand are going to be stopping by to share more with you.

If you are an adddict yourself, then I want to wish you well and welcome you here to the boards. Smiles. There is a whole lot of sharing of experience, knowledge and hope that swings in and out of the postings. Hope to see more of you.

With all best wishes
    reach

Old 11-25-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

reach and meddguy are absolutely right about this drug.
    let me add that the only difference between suboxone and subutex is that suboxone has naloxone in it. one of the reasons that the naloxone is present, and the reason most addicts are prescribed -one instead of -ex, is because the naloxone prevents iv drug users from "shooting up" suboxone because if you do, it causes something bad. not sure what, w/d or something. but you cant shoot -one.
    hope this helps.

m

Old 11-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
    tat2duser
    Veteran
    (male)

tat2duser HB User

Suboxone has been my salvation. To me - so far - it has been a wonder drug. (Please see my post: SUBOXONE a wonder drug? I'm thinking so.). I had a pretty large opiate habit and was recently prescribed Suboxone to get through the w/d's, and it has been working wonders..... Actually, I'm about to post about my 'Day 7', so you can see more there.

If you have an opiate habit and are trying to get clean, TRY THIS STUFF if you can find a doc to presscribe it.

Trust me.

tat*

Closed Thread