It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• does this happen to you when u take opiates?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
    ilovejoaquim
    Inactive
    (female)

ilovejoaquim HB User
    does this happen to you when u take opiates?

for all u smokers out there, i have a little question.

When you take opiates, like percs, oxy's, hydro's, do you feel the urge, a very STRONG urge to smoke cigarettes, like, chain smoking because the urge is so strong.

I noticed that whenever I take a pill, I want to smoke and as soon as i'm finished with one cig, i light another up, one after another after another after another untill the pill wear's off.

also, i find that as soon as the pill kicks in, i have to use the bathroom. Almost like having diarreah. It happens everytime!

Just wanted to know if i'm the only one that gets like that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
    tat2duser
    Veteran
    (male)

tat2duser HB User
    Re: does this happen to you when u take opiates?

That's strange.....myself and most that I know have had the exact OPPOSITE effect from taking them. Hell, I was lucky if I went to the can once or twice a week.....

tat*

Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
    ilovejoaquim
    Inactive
    (female)

ilovejoaquim HB User

thats why i was asking because i thought all people who took opiates go through that untill i came here and found out, i think i'm the only one who gets the runs when i take any oxy or hydro pill. strange

Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

ilovejoaquim,

Wow!!! I am exactly the same way with the smoking. One after another, after another, after another. I have asked several people (including my doctors) if they've ever heard of this. The answer was always no.

I LOVED to smoke when I had an oxy or percocet. I would go through two packs - easily - when I was using. I loved the way it made me feel (to smoke). I honestly thought I was the only one lol. I've even asked people who took the same drugs as me. The answer was always no.

I'm totally in shock right now.

As for the diahrrea - same thing!! As soon as I'd take a pill, I was on the toilet. I think it was nerves though - like I finally got them, or I knew how it would make me feel - so my body would relax...make sense?

Do you think that may be the same reason for you?

Hope everyone is having a great night. Hubby and I (and our two little girls)are off to a Resort in Niagara Falls tomorrow- it has a huge indoor waterpark inside the hotel. I'm so excited and looking forward to spending time relaxing

I'll be back on Saturday, hope you all don't miss me

emsmom

Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
    mini59
    Inactive
    (female)

mini59 HB User

Me too! One after another....sometimes lighting another while one was still lit in the ashtray! I was the exact same way on cocaine. I'm not sure why?? Also, and this really sucks: I'm an artist by proffession, and I did some (not to toot my own horn, but toot toot) incredible work while high. And alot of it. It just seemed to turn on a switch and my creative juices started flowing non-stop. My income shot up because I was so prolific too. Isn't that just the pits? But I was making art before the drugs so I just had to get back into doing it again sober. I won't lie, though- there are times when I miss losing myself in those bursts of pure creativity. But then I think about the withdrawal and...well, yuck. Beyond awful.

K.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #6
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

I have to chime in here, ME TOO even the poops. It's weird but I think emsmom put it correctly, nerves. The smoking, weird thing though since I have tapered down my tongue burns and I have yucky tastes in my mouth, no matter how much I brush my teeth. My tongue does burn though when, or sometimes when I smoke. It's very weird, weird enough to make me not want a cigarette. As for the poops if I were to relapse I know I would have more diarhea then when I withdraw. It is very weird, the exact opposite that people say.
    How are you doing with your taper? Quitting, i know you are away for a while so I hope this post is still here when you get back.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:07 AM   #7
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

me too !! both when i was using heroin. but after a while i coulndt "go" at all when using that.
    but now that im on sub, i smoke like a fiend !!! and its really hard, b/c im a personal trainer and im supposed to be the epitome of health, i have to hide my smoking (and smell of smoking) from everyone in my 'daytime' life !!! i even have a liscence plate on my car that says "W8 TRNR" so i cant smoke in my car unless its dark out !
    LOL
    ive tried chantix before, but it made me nauseous when i went up to 1mg on the second week. im gonna try it again and stay at 1/2mg. see how it goes.

take care,

michelle

Old 12-05-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
    ilovejoaquim
    Inactive
    (female)

ilovejoaquim HB User

my mother just started chantix a month ago. she's been smoking for 30 years. she's been taking 1mg now and still smoking a month later. Not as much though. She's constantly naucious. always running to the bathroom. Always dry heavin. it's nasty.

but i noticed, once i cut back the opiates, i'll smoke 1-2 cig's per day. If i take pills all day, i'll smoke 1-2 PACKS a day!
    And when I do cut back the opiates, i can't go to the bathroom nomore!

Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 AM   #9
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

Wow, that is me. I did have the poopies for a while, now it's only on mornings when I have to go to work. And for the smoking, I've cut back a lot. Not as much as you but more than when I was big time using. I'm like Ohnotagain, I hide it from everyone. I drive around with a bottle of febreeze in the car in case there are times at work when I have a couple of hours without the kids. I also febreeze my clothes every single morning as well as the house.
    How insane, it takes more to smoke than to not. I am a weird chick!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
    muriel79
    (female)

muriel79 HB User

I think what was more important than did I smoke cigs or not or did I poo solidly or in liquid form when using opiates, is what I did to myself when I took opiates and in turn, did to others.

I was not myself and I harmed other people. What I did to others was not to harm physically, but I harmed others emotionally. In my case, I wasn't reliable. I let people down repeatedly, including myself.

Fortunately I learned a new way to live and it no longer includes mind and mood altering substances. I went to treatment to detox and attended 12 Step Fellowships to get and stay clean.

It's odd looking back what I thought was important when I was in active addiction, but now I know most of those things just weren't.

Muriel

Closed Thread