It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Klonopin for OC withdrawl

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User
    Klonopin for OC withdrawl

I got clean from opiates for almost a year until November 21st when I totally fell off the wagon. Started with 30 mg Roxi's then 40mg OC's, where I am now up to 4 a day on December 5th. Im DONE right now. I have a prescription for Klonopin although I never take them. I can suck down some opiates but Benzo's just make me sleep, not high. I have a lot of addiction experience, and I know that I wont get hooked on them. I dont plan on taking many, but I plan to take them at night, perhaps on days 2-4 when withdrawls are worst for sleep. Yall think that would be okay. I totally know they will not become a problem for me. How bad are these withdrawls going to be, I know I havent been back off the wagon that long, but I have been taking those large amounts, will my withdrawls be horrible? I was thinking an 7 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being the worst. Thanks for the input. This has to stop for the last time, Ive spent so much money in this 2-3 week binge, but I'm putting that behind me, trying not to get down on myself for doing this, and focu son the future and quitting!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
    muriel79
    (female)

muriel79 HB User
    Re: Klonopin for OC withdrawl

I feel for you, JWF. Been there.

What is it you hope the klonipin will do for you? Are you hoping to skeep through the worst of it? Something else?

I don't know what it's like to detox from opiates other than with medical supervision while in treatment. I'm not sure what was done medically other than I was kept safe from myself as in safe from refilling the rx for the oxiycontin and I was supervised in the event there were life-threatening adverse effects.

Medically I was supported with OTC Immodium for the diarrhea. We were encouraged to push liquids, specifically cranberry juice, grape juice, apple juice and orange juice. Whether we were or weren't up for eating the first few days, we were told to hit the juice, to drink it constantly. I was told it would help clean my system, would keep me from dehydrating.

When I had difficult sleeping at night I was given Benadryl.

My roomie in treatment was there for an addiction to benzos. She had a seizure about three days in. It wasn't pretty, but such events aren't. I'm mentioning this because you may not wish to hit the benzos coming off the oxies. You could trade one addiction for another as many of us have done.

As for how rough your detox will be, only you will know as it happens. I remember feeling as though I had bad flu gone turbo both times I was in treatment. In hindsight I remember thinking it was worse than any bad Lifetime made for tv movie. Now, not so much.

Is it possible to let a supportive, clean/sober, caring friend or family member know what you're doing or for you to contact your health care provider? Sometimes it's good to know someone can check on you, can see how you're doing. Some people feel better knowing someone is there in the house with them while detoxing. Whatever you choose you don't have to go this alone.

Keep us posted.

I wish you the best.

Muriel

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwf222 View Post
    I got clean from opiates for almost a year until November 21st when I totally fell off the wagon. Started with 30 mg Roxi's then 40mg OC's, where I am now up to 4 a day on December 5th. Im DONE right now. I have a prescription for Klonopin although I never take them. I can suck down some opiates but Benzo's just make me sleep, not high. I have a lot of addiction experience, and I know that I wont get hooked on them. I dont plan on taking many, but I plan to take them at night, perhaps on days 2-4 when withdrawls are worst for sleep. Yall think that would be okay. I totally know they will not become a problem for me. How bad are these withdrawls going to be, I know I havent been back off the wagon that long, but I have been taking those large amounts, will my withdrawls be horrible? I was thinking an 7 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being the worst. Thanks for the input. This has to stop for the last time, Ive spent so much money in this 2-3 week binge, but I'm putting that behind me, trying not to get down on myself for doing this, and focu son the future and quitting!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #3
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

well a few of my friends know what's going on. i have been through perc withdrawl after like 18 months of abuse, im thinking this wont be that bad, but still wont be pleasent. i have heard that taking a benzo like klonopin at the worst moments will relieve some of the wihdrawl symptoms and also help you sleep. i did that some the last time, and i seem to remember it working, but not sure. i know its hard to believe and we can never be sure, but i really dont see switching out an addiciton to benzo's! i dont "enjoy" them and i dont plan on taking more than 2 a day as an absolute maximum for no more than probably 4 days. if i remember, ill be fine on day 1, day 2-4 will be hell, and then the physical withdrawl will begin to subside, and ill have to fight the mental crap...does that ssound similar to yalls experiences.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
    muriel79
    (female)

muriel79 HB User

I'm glad your friends know what is happening. Hopefully these are friends who are supportive of your recovery.

As for benzos relieving opiate withdrawal, hmmmmm ... I tried and realized that, for me, I could be addicted to almost any substance that made me feel good. It didn't work for me. I wound up on benzos and opiates and yes, both were being rx'd by my pain management doctor. I was addicted to both and vodka (alcohol), too.

You have a decent estimate as to the days you'll likely feel pretty rough physically. As always, ymmv.

Do you know how you'll address the "mental crap" as you called what happens after the worst of the physical withdrawal pass?

The best to you,

Muriel

Last edited by muriel79; 12-05-2007 at 07:54 PM. Reason: my typing tonight. just not typing worth a darn tonight.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

This is just my experience - I went cold turkey off of pain meds and did take klonopin. Like you, I don't like the way it makes me feel so I have no worry of addiction to it. It's the only benzo my dr will prescribe for anxiety and it is nothing I have ever abused as it just makes me tired and lessens the anxiety a bit, not a whole lot. I can't see where it will hurt for you to take it if it helps get you thru the withdrawals. Get the imodium ready though and some advil or tylenol. Shouldn't be too bad. I didn't miss a day of work and had been taking oc
    and hydrocodone daily for months, but not in huge amounts.
    Best wishes to you,
    JB

Old 12-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

you mean you were hydro daily for months, right? not that i should take that

Old 12-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

oxycontin, morphine and hydro, one or the other, every day (never large amts) for about 3 months. Ran out and went cold turkey.
    Hope that answers your question

Old 12-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

Okay good. I know its early on, and its never THAT bad the first day, but I dont think its gonna be horrible, since it was only like 15 days.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
    muriel79
    (female)

muriel79 HB User

Glad to see you posting today. You can do it. You can recover because we do recover. Withdrawal bites, but the worst of it physically should be over soon.

Keep hanging in, hanging on. We're here for you, here for each other.

Muriel

Old 12-07-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

i messed up this morning! they are doing construction on my house, and it was driving me nuts! i know thats an addicts excuse, but im going to try again tomorrow, hopefully this screw up will make me try that much harder! the withdrawls after two days werent THAT bad, other than the night sweats and the fact that my body was totally FREEZING!!! i dont remember ever having that before. it wasnt a cold like i could put on a sweatshirt and make it better, it was a bone chilling cold. very hard to deal with! any tips on dealing with that? well i know relapse is part of the getting better processes, but i feel like i threw those two days away. im not going to beat myself up about, just be more resilient tomorrow. thanks so much for the replies and help this bored provides. it really is a lifesaver. just having someone post a reply, no matter what it says, seems to make things so much better for me! okay december 8th is now the quit date since i screwed up the 5th! please keep the replies and comments coming over the weekend, i know i will be needing them!

Old 12-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
    muriel79
    (female)

muriel79 HB User

All any of us have in clean time is this moment. Don't use drugs today. Don't use drugs right now. I seriously messed myself up and relapsed when I worried about being clean and sober the rest of my life.

It may sound cliche', but it really is a day to day propsition, a day to day choice. [I]Just for today.

Detoxing bites. Yes, you'll feel like crappola, but hit an NA meeting in your community. You won't be the first addict to go while in full-blown detox mode.

I had a sponsor who once just showed up when I was struggling. I was still in my pj's and it was afternoon. She said, "Come on, right now. We're going to a meeting."

I protested about the jammies, but she did not relent. She told me that I'd gotten high in the past in my pj's. I could also go to a meeting just as I was. So I did.

I felt self-conscious, but I also had thought I'd show her by going like I was. I was in a crappy mood, a bad space. By the end of that meeting I was not struggling quite as much with my then recent decision to get clean and sober.

Point is that it's okay to go to a meeting when you're detoxing. NA is come as you are anyway. If you've got the desire to drop the drugs, to get clean and sober, NA can show you how.

It's worked and still works for me, for today.

Hang in, okay? Right now can be the start of your recovery journey.

Best,

Muriel

Last edited by muriel79; 12-08-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: a million little typos

Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #12
    MsTres
    (female)

MsTres HB User

Hi, i am new to these boards, looking for info on my hep c........I am an addict in recovery 3 and a half yrs from oxycontin and heroin........I say listen to muriel.......she is one smart cookie........
    My experience is that i couldnt do it on my own. after many failures using various drigs to replace and help me along where i also started using again.i was blessed wiht 60 days away........a long journey this was.........did a three day methadone detox at pysch ward..used first day out, had a heroin induced heart attack.........spent 8 days in cardio unit, 7 days in another pysch ward, then 28 days in rehab.........
    Myself I wouldnt recommend clonipin.......this is what my experience was......I was given benadryl to help me sleep, clonadine <not sure of spelling, think it a blood pressure pill of some sorts> but this helped immensly with the anxiety which will most certainly occur.........vitamins, such as fish oil, b vitamins and a multivitamin........of course an anti-diahhreal......and think they gav me something for stomach upset too but not sure what......
    muriel is so right in statng that you must also prepare yourself for the mental anguish which comes after and most addcits in recovery use a mood stabilizer or antidepressant for a while as our serontonin levels are shot.there rmany drugs out there to help that r not narcotics....and beleive me you can do this if you really want it.......
    NA meetings also helped me, kept me sane and gave me something to do, as all my life had consisted of was the getting and using and getting more of the drug for so long i had forgotten what else to do.........
    as for the bone chills..........a hot bath or shower always helped me feel better....often stayed in until there was no hot water left.......
    I say God bless and i wish you well.......

Old 12-08-2007, 01:31 PM   #13
    cantdoitanymore
    (female)

cantdoitanymore HB User

I had wondered the same thing. I have been klonopin for anxiety/panic disorder for the last 2 years now, and I never got hooked on them. I usually only refilled a bottle of 60 .5 mgs every 6 months or so. Sometimes I didn't even get to the refill until the prescription had expired.

I am in the process of tapering off tramadol. I have like, 4 refills so I decided to take the slow and steady taper road. The recommended dosages used to control the pain (enough, I guess, though it never made me feel 100, or even 90%) for a while. After about 3 months it's doing nothing. I actually switched from hydros to trams because I was building a killer hydro tolerance and wanted to lay off them for a while. I have chronic back pain, sciatica, and pain in whatever that nerve is that runs from your groin/hip area down the inside of the thigh due to a bulging L4-5 disk, and I fear eventually nothing will work. I seem to build a tolerance for all medications really quickly. Anyway, I have been on a very long, slow taper, and I'm getting to the point where I am actually forgetting to take my next dose. After about 16 hours I start getting those really annoying "Brain Zaps" along with that unreal feeling that reminded me of stopping Prozac cold turkey. (An unsuccessful attempt to treat panic disorder.) I wonder if the benzos would help with that. It seems like they would, because I have talked to people who have quit benzos, alcohol, and SSRI's. My hubby got them when taking Zyban to quit smoking.

I completely believe you about how you feel differently about Benzos. It always perplexed me that people could lose control with them. I never found them to give me the buzz that other things did. So, while a have abused certain prescription drugs, I know that I would not get addicted to benzos. They make me worthless and lethargic. I'd rather be pain-free and energetic.

Closed Thread