It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• mirtazapine is it ok

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User
    mirtazapine is it ok

Hi Everyone,

So sorry I haven't been reading and participating to find out out is going on with you all. I hope everyone has a nice Christmas, it is Christmas Eve tonight, I am eating potato chips and drinking a diet coke watching a scary movie in the dark. I have candles lit of angels and snowmen and the colored outdoor lights twinkle under the full moon.

My question, my doctor prescribed, or I have finally agreed to go on antidepressant for the first time in my life, he has prescribed mirtazapine,he has been suggesting I go on something for the past year, coming off the opiods has been off and on again bouts of depression and mood swings and I keep plodding on, without, anyway, I have now 2 bottles, still untouched, hesitant to use cause I don't want to loose the light within and become dull headed and doped up. Will it make me like this? Does anyone have any thing good or bad or just ok to say about this antidepressant.Side-effects, anything? Any experiences

and again a Merry Christmas
    each and every one
    blessings
    kadee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: mirtazapine is it ok

Kadee! Kadee! Kadee!

Hello! Hello! Hello! Merry Christmas to you. Happy New year to You!

Well, my dearest friend... I had to go do a search on this antidepressant... just never maionstream about anything, are you? Chuckles. I had never heard of it. I read it is a Class C antidepressant.... meaning the effects on a baby if you are pregnant are unknown. Okay, I think it should all be clear there, yes? The other thing of note was that I read that the prescribing doctor needs to know if you have ever abused drugs. I have not noticed that warniong on Lexapro although it may be there and I just never noticed. So, just ask doctor about this.

Kadee... 12 years ago, antidepressants saved my life, Baby girl. I was on many combos before I could pull out of that first clinical depresssion. Big time combos with old timey antidepressants in conjunction with anti seizures meds and librium , just all kinds of things. When I finally started to level off, I used Prozac for maintainence. Few years ago, I switched to Lexapro as the Prozac just kind of stopped working ( I guess the way opiates are sometimes changed for effectiveness in pain management). I have been on the same dose of Lexapro for a long, long time and it does make a difference in my life. If an antidepressant is stopped, it does have to be a long, long slow taper for best results, but the same dosage of the same antidepressant can work forever sometimes.

When I first started them, the first effect I noticed was that the urge to cry finally abated in me. That was one of my biggest symptoms. I did feel dull at times, but do not anymore. The body (brain ) adjusts. There has nevr been a craving for more or higher dosgaes as with the opiates.

Did you suffer from depression before the opiate withdrawal? if so, I would think it a good idea to try the antidepressant. If the depression is since the withdrawal, I am not sure then. Come back and share ( man, I will do anything to get you back here so I can see you more. smiles.).

I will look for you in the next couple of days.

Love
    reach

Old 12-25-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Hi my reachy fairy folly bundle of holly jolly joy

Great to hear and be with you on Christmas Eve, I tried to do some baking, but I did that with my mom and now she is gone and I got so glued to the couch I couldn’t even think about the mixmaster and all that flour flying without her. My family is all of everywhere except with me this year, for the first since ever and I am feeling extremely empty. So, I guess I will do the baking when family comes back in the New Year. Or maybe not?

Yes I researched the antidepressant too right after I read your post. I got, it helps with sleep, which is good, which I need, is supposed to help with sexdrive, which some say I need but I could definitely could live without it and get thee into a nunnery, and they say there is a side effect with weight gain(which I don’t want.) It belongs to the Remeron family (sp) which I have heard nasty things about. My mother as you remember was ex addict alcohohic in recovery. My mother was on Remeron (sp) 3 years before she passed, I remember I begged her not to take them at the time, I advised her on my alternative medicines but since she was a nurse in her day she followed the duty of doctors orders. After she started to take them, she lost interest in everything, didn’t bake, knit, walk, shopping, traveling, visiting, lost interest in everything, was always worried and had trouble making decisions, my dad cared for her the last 6 months of her life. But then again she was dying, and we didn’t know it til 2 weeks before she passed to the other side.

Yes, I was depressed before the opioid withdrawal, I have been fighting depression since 1982 where I had a horrific, sadistic episode of being tortured then I had boughts of reckless behavior which toiled me with suicidal tendencies for a while with my reckless behaviors.. They say I am in the 10 percentile of women left alive by a trio preditators / perpetrators from which I am eternally grateful for (because I am alive today) I have been recently diagnosed (PTSD)and Agraphobia and claustrophobia. grieve and loss.so far, more to come…yekkk. So for me it is more psychological rather than pain management.

Your antidepressant sounds nice, I haven’t even started to take mine yet, my doctor gave me more valium in September after my mother passed and now I have to wean off the valium and he thinks the mirazapine might help with that. The dependably is not yet really bad, but of course it will be if I carry on with them. It’s only been 3 months this time around. Hell to come off as you know and as I have experienced. So here we are back on the hopscotch square. I cried for 3 hours straight, member last year, I couldn't cry at all - well not now..I had to cover my mouth so the neighbors wouldn’t think I was getting beaten up, I was crying everywhere in public He didn’t want to give me the Valium at all, but I assured him, excuse me -
    my addict re-assured him I would be Ok for one month and I have talked him into 3 months of them from trauma and panic attacks..And I know about these devils, I was on them for 8 years and it was bloody hell W/D for one year tapering as you know. I doubt he will give me any more cause he knows of my past addiction and he thinks this antidepressant will do the job for me psychologically and also help with any w/d off the Valium, but he is not an addiction doctor, he is a GP. I guess the only bad thing is that I will gain weight. And who cares, as long as the light from within is still there.

What is happening in your life my sweet? We all have so much work to do on ourselves. Now I must go and search for your threads to find out how you have been, but you can tell me everything, anything.

love you
    blessings
    kadee

So that is it in a Christmas eve nutshell
    Happy Christmas Day my angel

Last edited by kadee; 12-25-2007 at 11:29 AM.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
    captnanny
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

captnanny HB User

Hey Kadee I just got done reading this post and we sure do have a lot in common. Although I knew my predator, the PTSD is horrid. I take celexa which is the same as the lexapro that Reach said. My doctor has tried to get me to try the mirtzapine for a while. I stick with the zyprexa which is also in the same class. I take smaller than a childs dose. It helps me with sleep and anxiety. I call it my crisis drug.
    For you if you trust your doc, then you should be ok. I know celexa has a side effect of weight gain, I'm on the highest dose possible, no weight gain for me. Everyone is different. Your mother might have been on a really high dose.
    Remeron actually came out as a new form of clozarell (sp) The side effects were really bad I guess from that and many people who needed it could not handle them. So, the Remeron was introduced.
    I noticed when I researched it, it is also given to children for something. Then it is called mirtzapine. Maybe your dose is low, your doc probably knows you don't want to feel many side effects and since you are using it for anxiety and depression, you may not need the high dose your mom was on.
    This is all assumptions so forgive me if I'm wrong. What I do know is the antidepressants have been a life saver for me once I found the right ones. I have to stick to the prozac kind. Like Reach mine stopped working so now celexa is the one for me. I did try lexapro but really have better benefits from the celexa. Everyone is very different.
    Kadee my mom tried celexa and couldn't stand it. So just because your mom was that way on Remeron, does not mean that you will be.
    I hope I helped in anyway shape or form.
    Mary Pat

Old 12-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Ka-ka-ka-kadee, beautiful kadee.........

Take the antidepressant sweetpea... long overdue.

I willl be back tonight. Houseful right now.

Big Holiday Hug to you.\
    reach

capt... so much to say to you, also. I will get it all down here soon.
    love
    reach

Old 12-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

(cp)mp and (r)

I slept late, woke late and now must rush.. rush.. to get to the feastivities that I have been invited too with friends. Thanks for your thoughts and words, will write more on them when I am not springboarding through time and space

Hope everyone has a wonderful reunion and happy memories with sugarplum children and merry adults, in all gratitude for this day, talk later

blessings
    kadee

Last edited by kadee; 12-25-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:17 PM   #7
    Cup of coffee
    (female)

Cup of coffee HB User

My doctor prescribed this medication for me for sleep. I took it a couple of times and never took it again. It made me REALLY, REALLY sluggish. I researched it as well and found that the weight gain is huge. I personally wouldn't take it again because of the side effects. It is an older antidepressant and I think there are better ones on the market.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Thanks Glo bones
    I heard that too, about the weight gain, and I still have 2 full bottles of them in my med cab. I will get onto something else in the New Year.
    kadee

Closed Thread