It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• trying to get off opiates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #31
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User
    Re: trying to get off opiates

Hey Spork,

Welcome. I just got done reading this whole thread. Wow, I'm REALLY pullin for you !!! I am so proud of your courage and your honesty here. Thats one of the things that will KEEP you sober, once you get there. How did the appt with the sub doctor go?
    I am currently on sub. I can tell you a little bit about it. First of all, Ive been on since May. I relapsed on Oc's after a 5 year sobriety off of heroin. So i start the sub and it really works. i dont suffer any w/d symptoms, as you already know. I agree that it might be wise for you to try this, but please remember that you cant expect to get high from it. Thats not what its for; its to keep your mind clear while you are working on a program to keep you sober. You will start on a higher dose, prolly 8 - 16 mgs a day. Then you will slowly ween off of it. Yes, it is an opiate. And yes, if you stop taking it abruptly you will have withdrawl. but the plus side is that you will be as you were before the drug use. Mostly anyway. I do wish you luck. I look forward to hearing how the doct appt went.

Big Hugs Friend !!!

Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #32
    dtc1163
    (female)

dtc1163 HB User

Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for me for sure, because reading this thread it seems like the problems exist with people taking really high doses of stuff.
    I am really confused and don't know whether I have a problem or not, I think I do, but maybe I don't. I want to stop taking Oxycodone, but I sort of don't too! This isn't making a lot of sense is it? I have been taking it for more than a year but during the last 3 months I have had to have it every day, I used to only need 20mg, but I have to have minimum 40 now and sometimes 60, the most I ever took in a single day was 80. I was on sertraline/Zoloft 150mg a day, I came off it due to side effects and am supposed to be taking Prozac, but because I am taking Concerta with the Oxy, varying between 36 and 54mg a day, I have stopped the Prozac as I need the Oxy more, and I sometimes take 2mg of Clonazepam/Restorill at night to help me sleep.
    I used to take Concerta for ADD, now I only use it to increase the affect of the OX, rather than increase the amount of OX further.
    All I really need is the OX, I can't tell anyone, least of all the Dr. for fear of him discontinuing to prescribe it for me, and I am ashamed that what I began taking for genuine back pain, became a crotch when I had to re-live some past trauma.
    I don't feel like I can function when I try not to take it, I give in and take it just to feel human again. However, as I said, after reading the thread and seeing the amounts others are used to taking, maybe I am just imagining I have a problem with it, it doesn't seem like I can be taking enough to actually have a real addiction, and now I don't know what to make of how I feel.
    I don't drink alcohol, my only serious addiction that I know exists for sure is my nicotine, smoking, and I have recently got heavily into energy drinks, that's not an addiction, I thought it might be healthier than the coke I normally drink, and couldn't do without, and I drink way to much coffee, I just don't have any energy at all without Oxycodone.
    So I really would appreciate any advice, does anyone here have any idea what might be wrong with me, is it an addiction to the Oxy because I can't bear the idea of being without it, and everytime I need another prescription I am panic stricken until I have it in my hands, just incase the Dr. decides I shouldn't have it any more?
    Early on in this thread I saw something about finding some when you thought you didn't have any more.
    The other day I found a strip with about 6 capsules still in it that I must have lost a while back, it was like i'd struck gold! That's not right is it?
    I have never had an addiction to any other drugs, although many years ago I tried H for a while, I was lucky, I realized I was starting to get dependent on it, so I got a bunch of DF118's, don't know if you can get those anymore, I just kept taking the pain pills and stayed in bed for a week, just trying to sleep as much as I could, it was like having a really bad flu, I never touched it again after that, felt like I'd had a lucky escape, but I don't think I'm so lucky this time.
    I am no longer in a position where I can just stay in bed and try to deal with it, I have responsibilities that can't be avoided! I don't have any friends that are in a position to be around physically to give me any support either, so maybe I'm just doomed!
    I wanna feel good and be able to exist without the Ox, but I don't think I can do it, I am very alone with this and quite scared, even though I don't know if I need to be scared or not.
    Thanks Guys for listening, and well done to all you achievers and those that are trying so hard to quit, my heart goes out to all of you, I wish I could be here in a helpful capacity, maybe in the future something will change and I will be useful to a group like this, because I am normally in my element when I am helping others.
    I guess I gotta find a way to help myself first right now, I honestly don't know where to begin.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #33
    Spork Schivago
    (male)

Spork Schivago HB User

Sorry for not posting for a while. They have made it official as in the sense I will be seeing the saboxin doctor on Tuesday. Monday they're closed. From the sounds of it, I will be getting on the suboxin. I don't want to get high off of it. I want it to ease the withdrawal. As of right now, I have had a full relapse. It has just been for today. Tomorrow I won't buy anymore. For some reason, I just gave in all together and went and got really messed up on them. And tomorrow is day 0 again. I just have to make it to tuesday. That's only a few days but it's also like a life time away. We're doing a movie thing tomorrow. I might not respond because I have to stay away from my apartment for a bit I think. This is where I always used and I think just being here right now is hard because it reminds me of it a little. I know that sounds weird. It's hard to think right now and the apartment probably has nothing to do with it. I'm going to be sleeping on their couch. They asked me too and I agreed cuz they want to see me clean as much as you guys and I do. Today's okay now....but I know tomorrow will be hard because of what i did today. I will try to check this forum at their house but it won't be probably until later that night.

I hate these things.

Spork

Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 AM   #34
    bajaboats
    Veteran
    (male)

bajaboats HB User

Thanks for the up-date Spork. I'm glad to got the Doc you needed.
    This is the easier path for you. Cold turkey was something I didn't want to try.
    The taper may last longer but you won't feel as bad. In the you'll be clean in the end.
    Just keep up the praying I know it helped me.

Hello There dtc1163

Yep, You gotta problem with the Oxy bud.
    I had a simular situation to yours.

It was hydro for pain at first then went to Oxy only for a short time.
    I found myself needing it every moring to function. This is BAD stuff.
    Just like the H Bud. I never did the H but both are highly addictive.

I too started with 20/day and slowly crept up to 80 and bumped 120 a few times, way too many times.
    I started finding myself going for the Oxy more and more and felt I couldn't function without it.

If you are getting the Oxy from your doc just ask if he will help you with a slow taper.
    I did a rapid taper myself which is more painful and harder to do but the worst is over faster.

Your doc may help you but it will ultimately be up to you to follow the docs direction and taper down slowly. You will feel crummy for a while as your dose is reduced but no where close to what you would feel if you go cold turkey. You can see in this thread what it did to spork.

I am on day 11 clean and feel wonderfull

I didn't have to take some stupid pill to get thru the day either. I actually smile and have fun without the junk.

The first step is you see you have a problem which is good. Now you need to get going on getting off the junk. Sounds like you caught it in time too. You should not have too many problems.

If doc won't help get on the net and do some research on Oxy withdrawals and taper methods. there is plenty of it on the net. Maybe that will change docs mind.

I did my taper by myself so you can do it. My Doc was aware and helped but I decided the taper method and dosages and leveling off times myself. I did it and so can you.

Try to read some posts I have written on this board.
    Just click on my name and view posted threads.

Good luck and check in so we know how you do.

Peace.
    Baja

Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User

Spork:

How are ya? If you want the doctor to give you suboxone on Tuesday, you have to be in withdrawals. So, if you use Sunday and Monday, you will be told to come back for your sub after you're clean for 24 hours. If you are on something and the doctor gave you sub, you would go into instant, agonizing, withdrawals. You have probably already been told this, right?

I'm not trying to rub it in or anything like that, but if you would have stayed clean, you would be past day 4 now, right?

It ****s bad coming off of the opiates. Sub is a mixed blessing because of the long half-life (like 36 hours or something?). Most folks have a harder time coming off of it than the shorter half-life opiates, like oxy. Read Baja's thread about coming off of the oxy. In 10 days he feels great! He tapered, though, and not all folks can successfully taper off of their drug of choice. It takes a lot of discipline and, possibly, someone you trust holding the drugs and doling them out. That is what the doctor told my wife to do. After I had stablized, about 10 days, is when I had the willpower to do it on my own.

The sun is shining on this side, friend. Even though the weather is bad when you make the crossing, come and join us.

Good luck and stay strong.

mk

Last edited by mk7657; 02-17-2008 at 11:16 AM.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #36
    tat2duser
    Veteran
    (male)

tat2duser HB User

Spork.... MK is absolutely correct. You must be in mild to moderate w/d's to even think about ebginning Sub treatment. As he also said, if you start taking it and are not clean, you REALLLY wish you wouldn't have....the w/d's that it brigs on are like normal w/d's x's 100!! IMHO, don't take a THING at least 24-36 hours before going.

Goood luck - and keep us posted.

Peace,
    tat*

Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #37
    Spork Schivago
    (male)

Spork Schivago HB User

Today is Sunday and I just read the posts about not taking anything on Sunday and Monday. I haven't taken anything yet but I'm already feeling it again. Tomorrow's going to be hell, I'm sure. Thanks everyone for informing me and help me threw this. One of these days I'll be 100% sober.

Spork

Old 02-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #38
    Inactive
    (female)

3080 HB User

Hi there. I'm really sorry to hear about your addiction. I hope you don't mind me asking you this, but where are you getting these drugs from? These are serious schedule drugs and shouldn't be easily obtained. Thousands of people die each year from overdose on these drugs, even when they are in hospitals. Mistakes happen all the time and for you to be taking these pain medications without any knowledge of what they do to your body is just wrong. It's only a matter of time before you take even a little too much and overdose. I'm telling you man, it can happen and it WILL happen if you stay on them.

You are getting past the denial stage and that's very brave of you. I think with the right support and care you will be drug free in no time.

I must tell you though that being in school right now is probably not a good idea. You are going to overwhelem yourself with too much and you don't need that, because when you get stressed you probably turn to drugs? Am I right? I don't know why I'm suggesting this, but I think you should start smoking again, at least until you are off completely of the drugs.

If you want to get help. You are going to need to be under the supervision of some very special doctors who handle this kind of matter. Because like I said your body IS dependent on these drugs and if you take yourself off of them without being supervised at ALL times, you can end up having seizures and so many other things can happen.

I can tell you right now that a week is not going to get you off of those drugs. It depends on your body and how severe your addiction is. Opiades are not joke. And anyone taking them should be under the supervision of a doctor.

Now, if you are willing to seek the treatment that you need, you will probably be staying in a drug-rehab. Of course since you are over the age of 18 it will be by choice. If you don't want to ruin your life and die, than I suggest you do this. I would hate to see you suffer and NOT live the life you always dreamed of. . You have so much potential and only YOU can make the decision to STOP!!

When you do the drug-rehab program they don't just take you off of the drugs. It's not some cold-turkey program. They replace the drugs that you were using with other drugs and overtime your body will eventually not need the drugs.

While you're in drug-rehab, they will try to keep you as comfortable as possible.

I think you should look into rehab and get the help you need. Otherwise you will end up living on the street or dead. Sorry to break it to you like that, but that's the world for you.

I will pray for you and I really really really think you can get better. You just need to support and you have it here. Also the nurses at the rehab center will also be very supportive. Just remember though that you have to make the decision to help yourself before anyone else can help you.

GOod luck...

You might also want to think about gaining some new friends. Because once you're off the drugs, you don't want to hangout with people who do drugs. It will only be an open door to drugs again.
    I bet you got into drugs in the first place BECAUSE of the people you were hanging out with? Am I right or am I right?

Good luck hun, I will pray for you.

Take care of yourself.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:43 AM   #39
    bajaboats
    Veteran
    (male)

bajaboats HB User

Hey Spork Bud

Like I said. There is a road into hell and there is also a road out.

You have found the road out my friend. Get the help you need from the Pro's
    I was no where near your level of use and I have been under the supervision of my Doctor with weekly visits to monitor my progress. He is pleased needless to say but I also know I'm not out of the woods.

I have to continue my meetings and prays and positive thoughts. I have had to make some hard lifestyle changes to remove some of the stress from my life so I don't have this happen to me again. Stress really will kill me especially if I USE drugs to relieve the stress.

Just keep on keepin on.
    Remember, the W/D's will pass. They don't last forever even if you feel like they will.
    I'm on day 13 clean and feel like a complete new MAN.
    Disiplince and help from the pro's.

I'll send some words up to my guy in the sky for bud. (He's the ultimate Pro)

Hang in there.

Peace.
    Baja

Last edited by bajaboats; 02-18-2008 at 05:44 AM.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #40
    Spork Schivago
    (male)

Spork Schivago HB User

Thanks Baja. I appreciate it. I've went threw addiction before. I couldn't / didn't want to stop using drugs back then though. I just wanted to get away from my drug of choice. Now though, I want to get completely clean. This time is a lot different from back then. I'm ready to get clean. I did rehab twice before. I'm not going to do it a third time. I told the people up in dansville that I want to start out-patient again and they agreed that it sounds necessary. I appreciate all of the support you guys have offered. I wanted to make it cold turkey because I didn't want to rely on drugs anymore of any type. I guess this way is the lesser of the two evils. For an update, I have told my using friends that I am trying to live a clean straight life now. They all wished me luck. I told them that I didn't want them to contact me or anything because I'm going to need some time to myself. They said if there was anything they could do to help, let them know. I have support from my clean friends who used to use. They're the ones driving me up and back from dansville tomorrow. MK, I read what you wrote about having to be clean before they'd start you on a suboxone treatment. What if I'm on suboxone when I go there? Do you think they wouldn't start me on a treatment because of me already being on it? Thanks.

Peace

Spork

Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #41
    jules3
    Inactive
    (female)

jules3 HB User

spork,,my son was buying them on the street too..he admitted to the prescribing do what he was doing..be honest with him, thats not going to stop him from prescibing if he feels you are a candidiate. good luck

Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #42
    sterling7777
    (male)

sterling7777 HB User

Spork, be honest with them when you go there. They need to know what you have taken, so they will know what dose to give you, and when to start it.
    Good luck tomorrow!! You are on your way!!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #43
    Spork Schivago
    (male)

Spork Schivago HB User

I will be honest. Thank you guys for all the support. If by chance he decides he doesn't think I need them, I will try cold turkey again. Thanks everyone.

Spork

Old 02-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #44
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sterling7777 View Post
    Spork, be honest with them when you go there. They need to know what you have taken, so they will know what dose to give you, and when to start it.
    Good luck tomorrow!! You are on your way!!
    Ditto, ditto, ditto. Jules is right, too. When you tell the prescribing doc about your oxy usage, he would be crazy to not prescribe you suboxone. Expect random drug tests, though (some people might sell the sub to buy their drug of choice). The doctor is throwing you a lifeline, friend. Grab it and run with it.

I am happy for you spork. I think that you are doing the right thing. Considering the doses of oxy that you were taking, you are lucky to be alive. Keep posting on this board to let us know your progress. Once you're settled into the sub routine, post some more. You will find that there are a good number of people here that are in recovery and use the drug. They are great folks and are more than willing to share. Sub IS a way out, friend. You will be happy with your decision.

Good luck and stay strong.

mk

Last edited by mk7657; 02-18-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: English

Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM   #45
    Spork Schivago
    (male)

Spork Schivago HB User

The doctor couldn't take me as a patient. He wrote this letter and told me to give it to Guthrie:

Seen once at LCCASA, to see if I could put him on suboxine. I think he would be a good candidate but I am not able to take him on. I am making the following suggestions:

1. Enroll in Steuben County Drug treatment program. I believe that one or more of their doctors have applied to prescribe suboxine. If they are certified now, they could prescribe. If one of their providers expects to be certified in the immediate future and they call me, I might be willing to start him on suboxone with the understanding that Steuben County SA treatment program takes over. They would need to call me first.

2. Outpatient detox with Dr. Philips I would put on clonidine .1 1 or 2 every 4 to 6 hours, trazadone for sleep, ibuprophen for pain and you might add some tramadol but with careful control.

3. If that is not successful, go to Tully Hill for outpatient treatment and suboxone.

Please call me, etc, etc and then he signed it.

I went to Guthrie and they told me that they couldn't let me leave and that I was going to the ER. I told them that they had no right keeping me against my will and then I walked out. I called a friend cuz I was in no shape to walk. The doctor I saw today in Dansville told me I could take my last suboxone in his office so I did. It didn't really help that much though. Once this is out of my system, I guess it's cold turkey all over again. <sigh> I tried eating some food earlier but I got sick and couldn't keep it down. I bought gaterade to help keep me dehydrated.

Peace.

Spork

Closed Thread