It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• trying to get off opiates

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 AM   #61
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User
    Re: trying to get off opiates

Tell ken that he is in my prayers to the big man upstairs. It's good to hear that he didn't go back to using.

mk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #62
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

SPORK

Proud of you, Friend. Sometimes we need a timeout in life so that we can regain the ability to enjoy life again. Your efforts now are going to allow you to reach a point of seeing your life stretching out ahead of you filled with promise and not drugs. I am so rooting for you.

We will be here to welcome you back. In the meantime, lots of prayers and hope on your behalf.

Best, best wishes
    reach

Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #63
    Laurie434
    (female)

Laurie434 HB User

Hi Eafbf,
    I also suffer with the RLS problem. Boy it is awful!!!!
    Try getting Magnesium....there is a brand called Ionic-Fizz which is really good. It is in a powder form which absorbs into the body easier than pills. I take it twice a day and it really helps. You can get it at a health food store or order it online. Also I got a perscription for Requip, which I take when the RLS symptoms are real bad. I am here if you need a friend. You are in my prayers!
    Laurie

Old 02-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #64
    eaffbf
    (female)

eaffbf HB User

thank you for the support, i definantly need a friend in this... it is much harder than i antisipated. I will try the magnizium. do you know what causes the RLS?
    well i am going to head to bed, as i am wiped out!. talk to you soon
    thanks again,
    and bajaboats thank you for your support as well, it really help to know that i am not the only one with this problem, i NEVER thougt this would happen to me, i thought once i was off the illegal drugs i would be okay, but i guess i thougth wrong. It all started with my back, i have degenerative disc in my back and if i can't be in my hot tub 24 /7 i am really hurting! it sucks, andi am only 32. i was diagnosed at 30 with degerative disc diease.
    well thanks all, and good night.
    eafffbf

Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #65
    Laurie434
    (female)

Laurie434 HB User

Hi Eafbf,
    I think the RLS is caused by your body withdrawing off of the meds. I am not really sure except to say I am right there with you! It is not fun at all! The Ionic Fizz really helps, it has the magnesium and calcium which really helps a lot! Take care, Laurie

Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 AM   #66
    bajaboats
    Veteran
    (male)

bajaboats HB User

hello eaffbf,
    I only had one night that I had RLS while in W/D but I heard a little tidbit here I'll share.

Our brains had these little guys in them that help us deal with the day to day anxiety and depression we naturally experience with Life. These things are naturally occuring in our lifes. It it what makes us who we are, challanges us to step up and be better.

Well these little guys get LAZY when we take dope. The dope kinda does their job for them. We can hide our anxiety and depression behind Pillz and booze.

When we stop the dope those little guy have fotgotten what to do and get confused. They start running around in our brains and bodies searching everywhere to find any traces of the dope to make their jobs easier. They are like the Key Stone Cops if you remember them funny guys. They will remember how to do their jobs on their own eventually but they are human and by nature want to take the easy way out. Thats is human nature. Example, If I could get one million dollars for walking one mile or one million dollars for walking 100 miles, I would naturally pick the one mile deal. Who Wouldn't.

Well those key stone cops are pretty ****** and confused right now at you and this is the way they try to get some more dope. Don't worry. They won't die with out it and neither will you. They will learn their jobs again and you too will feel soooo much better.

Time really does heal all wounds. That does not mean that there is not a scar left behind and that is why we will need to work on this the rest of our lives. At least I know not I will. If I didn't think so, I would be fooling myself.

I hope this helps. Plus the key stone cops thing is a little funny. Good for a smile when you need one.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace.
    Baja

Old 02-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #67
    eaffbf
    (female)

eaffbf HB User

hey bajaboots,
    thanks for the words of encouragement...your example really helps! Although i am not sure what 'key stone cops' are?? just trying to tapper off so those little guys don't get too mad at me. thanks again EAFFBF

Old 02-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #68
    eaffbf
    (female)

eaffbf HB User

hey everyone,
    i am experiencing pain on my left side and it is getting worse... i have searched the web for possiable conditions, any thoughts on this?? i have upset stomach and changes in bowels. It hurts on my left side , upper portion of abdomen, almost over ribs, a burning pain. Is my liver their?
    just thought i might reach out to find some answers.
    eaffbf

Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #69
    Mose
    Inactive
    (male)

Mose HB User
    Thumbs up Re: trying to get off opiates

Hello EAFFBF,
    If you don't mind hearing from the senior center, and by the thread title, I'll assume frequent but irregular opioid use. If you ever get the screaming "schitz" pain killers are the best anti-diarrhea medicine. But if you don't you will feel like your passing a boulder and it turns out to be only a marble, so hard and dry you risk cracking the porcelain!

Sorry bout the subject, but its your pain. [;-) [a 's-eating grin]. Here's the beef, after 30 years on the gift of life enablers, WHENEVER you have something like this, its usually the stuff messing in your mess unless you develop a fever. Any fever thats measureable and you feel your body heat being suck out, go to or call your doctor. Anytime 2.5 degrees or more, go to the hospital

hope every thing blows over and works out....
    mosey

Old 03-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #70
    Trying2B
    (male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User

hey sporks, it's march 1st and i just read your post my friend. how are you doing now??

Old 03-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #71
    bajaboats
    Veteran
    (male)

bajaboats HB User

Hey eaffbf,

I might be showing my age with the Key Stone Cops thing. They were like a big group of the three stooges but way more than just three of them. Always running around chasing their tails and screwing stuff up no matter how hard they tried.

No Worries. I still feel young (Like I'm still 10 yrs old) and I really am not that old. I'm only 43 almost 44 in a couple months.

On day 25 Clean today! Can you believe it?

Feelin Great.

Hope your doin fine.

As always,

Peace.
    Baja

Old 03-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #72
    DroopyEyes
    (male)

DroopyEyes HB User

Brotha Baja,

I knew we were brothas, because I'm 43 and will be 44 at the end of the month!

and a heckuva lot clean sober than a year ago!

Go Bro!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 AM   #73
    shannonjord08
    (female)

shannonjord08 HB User

I am new to this message board and have been reading this thread most of the morning. I, too have been in this type of situation. I was addicted to hydros, but it wasn't the amount of dosage that I've been reading on here. I think I took about 6-8 per day, but not for a long period of time. The withdrawls weren't that bad for me. Just a few restless nights. Then, a few years later, I started having bad headaches and went to a neurologist. He tried everything under the sun to help alleviate the headaches and then landed on Ultram. I took that for 7+ years. I didn't abuse it. I took the recommended doses. But, when it came time for me to stop using it, all hell broke loose. I felt like I was going to die. I ended up in the ER, very dehydrated and felt like I had the worst case of the flu ever! I'm telling you all this because I read that a few of you were told or suggested to take Ultracet or Ultram to help with withdrawls from the opiates. In my opinion, the Ultram is just as bad. To make matters worse for myself, I just found out that I have severe problems with my back and need surgery. I just got the phone call 3 days ago about the results of an MRI. Talk about draining the life out of me. I was put on the Ultram and Hydro for the pain. I try not to take it unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm scared to death about being on these 2 meds, but then again, what am I supposed to do about the pain.
    I really admire you guys on here. I just wish I wasn't put in this position. I don't want to go through what everyone on here has gone through. Thank you for your time.
    Shannon

Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #74
    greeneyes1
    (female)

greeneyes1 HB User

I'm not sure, but I think the liver is on the right side. Could be gall-bladder trouble. I've seen myself that opiate use can cause gall-bladder inflamation...not sure why. I do know that the stomach is on the left in the area you described. Maybe an ulcer? You could possibly try tagamet or something in the anti-acid/stomach coating family. If it continues, I would certainly see a doc. Good luck!

Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #75
    eaffbf
    (female)

eaffbf HB User

Good Afternoon all! Thank you for the input on the pain i am having., it is still their today, i have a CT scan set up to find out what is going on. I have diverticulosis and i might be having a flare up. Doc put me on Flagel and Cipro, i hate taking them, they make me feel like crap! i just have never had the diverticulities pain this high on my side. Okay i am rambeling now.

Bajaboots,
    Congrats on day 25! really happy for you , and you are an insperation.
    p.s. thanks for the explination on the "key stone cops" thing.
    i am 32 and will be 33 in a few months, but i just asked my husband about the key stone cops and explained why i was asking, he laughed, he is 42.

later, EAFFBF

Closed Thread