It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• arrested for prescription fraud

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
    GenSyd1
    (female)

GenSyd1 HB User
    arrested for prescription fraud

After being released with no bail...released on my own recognince(sp?), my next court date is on the 12th of March. I was doctor shopping because quite frankly my back is completely messed up. I have degeneration in my discs, arthritits, spondylosis, etc...so of course I was taking more than prescribed and running out early. I was finally caught and spent the night in jail. This is my first offense and I'm going to a "substance abuse" facility tomorrow to be assessed for rehab. Also, I'm attending NA meetings. I'm giving my attorney a copy of my latest MRI report and filling him in on my spine issues. I think I have a refill waiting for me of Vicodin ES and am afraid to pick it up because what if the police find out and put me back in jail with no bond this time? Does anyone know if that would happen? Thank you for any response.

Last edited by GenSyd1; 03-02-2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Adding more questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2008, 04:54 AM   #2
    DroopyEyes
    (male)

DroopyEyes HB User
    Re: arrested for prescription fraud

Hi Syd welcome ....

I don't know the answer to your questions- sorry.

I'd be wondering how the police found out about the doctor shopping and then tie it back to that last refill you think you might have. I KNOW how hard this is for you to be in pain and probably in withdrawal, but if there is anyway that last refill is tied to this case, do not make matters worse for yourself.

My (non legal, non medical) advice is --- call your attorney and tell him what you just told us and that you're in pain (if you are) and can he check to see if you can legally pick up that refill. If yes, bring something in writing from him. If no, DON'T.

I hope that part of the state's plan for you is relief from the pain but sadly, I haven't seen you mention that.

I used to have such contempt for people like Rush Limbaugh until I saw he was just as human as the rest of us, albeit richer. I have nothing but support and empathy for you. G'Luck.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i too am wondering just how you were found out when it came to this particular type of a crime?its just kind of hard to actually be arrested for this since it is the way it is,ya know?just how many docs were you actually seeing?if you could fill in some details it would help in giving you the best advice.since this is also a medical situation,i am just wondering at what point and in what way the police became involved.when you stated the title as Rx fraud,did you actuallty try and forge your own Rx and got caught?there are much better ways of handling back problems and pain that i really think you are going to have to start using once this ordeal is finally over.i honestly think you really need to sit down and truely and realistically asscess what IS you pain and what IS a possible addiction going here.many many of us live with very high levels of of pain every single day but do not go down that road you did in order to obtain some relief.there are just much better more effective and legal ways to take care of pain,you know what i mean?i have been down the addiction road before and am now also living with some really incredible levels of pain from SCI and a c spine that is just simply falling apart.i learned my lesson the very hard way and was clean for many years before all my crap happened and i didn't have alotof choices for pain management just becasue of the overall level and had to go back onto narcotics.i am never ever 'comfortable"being back on this crap and am always checking myself and also being monitored by my pain clinic,but the fear is always there even now that i could end up back where i was if i should ever think it wont happen again.trust me,this could be the best thing that ever happened to you in order to get that wake up call and start doing things the right way for yourself.that choice is up to you of course.i hope you really can see this situation for what it is.it sounds like you are doing the right things right now and thats great.you just really need to find better ways to manage your pain once things settle down for you.please keep us posted on how things are going.marcia

Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
    GenSyd1
    (female)

GenSyd1 HB User

Ok...sorry I didn't fill in the needed info for replies. I was going to 4 different doctors and getting narcotics for pain relief. I was taking as much as 20 pills a day and running out in 3-4 days. I've had three back surgeries and refused a surgery on my neck, knowing it probably wouldn't help. I'm not sure exactly HOW I was "found out" for this crime. I NEVER forged a script or altered them in ANY way. I just went to different pharmacies and filled the scripts. After looking at my "case" online, I saw that there were two affidavits from 2 of the doctors, so my guess is the pharmacies called them. I used my insurance for scripts from one of the doctors, and paid cash for the others. I'm just so scared right now because if I go to jail I won't see my little girl for years and that about crushes my heart. I have been looking at substance abuse facilites for months now, but have been to scared/embarressed to call. This was DEFINATELY the wake up call I needed. I have been taking Lyrica and it seems to help with the withrawal symptoms. My attorney thinks I'm going to be eligable for "drug court" instead of jail time, but after looking at other cases like mine online and seeing that those people were sent away for 2-5 years scares the crap outta me. Sorry for rambling, but I'm sure other people know how it is. Like this board is a lifeline right now...make any sense? Thanks to all of you.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
    shannonjord08
    (female)

shannonjord08 HB User

Syd,
    I am sorry that you're going through this. But, let me tell you about my brother. He worked at a pharmacy as a tech and was taking oxy's, vicodin(the strongest ones you can get) and Ultrams. He was busted because of cameras. He went to court and basically was completely honest with the judge. The recomended sentence by the prosecutors was 1-4 years. They offered him that plea deal and he atook it. At his hearing, he had friends and family read letters that you are allowed to do and the judge ended up giving him the 1-4 years, but suspended it and gave him probabtion for 2 years. I know this is totally different than what you were doing, but he was in trouble with the law before, but yet he got probabtion.
    I would be completely honest with everyone you have to come in contact with when it comes to the law. If you have proof that you are in pain al of the time, get it!!! Don't leave anything out. If you're honest and up front about all of this and are sympathetic, then you will be fine. I wish you the best of luck. If you need to talk to someone, just let me know. And, if you want any more info about the Ultram, just heed this advice. If you do decide to take the Ultram, take it EXACTLY how you're supposed to and try not to take it for very long. I believe if you do that, you won't have the withdrawls as bad as you would if you abused them.
    Shannon

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
    GenSyd1
    (female)

GenSyd1 HB User

Wow...I hope the judge I get is sympathetic. I'm also hoping that the copy of my last MRI that I gave to my attorney, plus the fact that I'm starting rehab before any court dates will help my case. Still scared to death. It is ALL I think about. I made an appt. with my family doctor for Tuesday and I'm going to "come clean" with him. Tell him everything. He seems very understanding but when I tell him that I doctor shopped while seeing him it's gonna be rough. If he agrees to still see me maybe he will give me a couple of xanax to get through this. I've only taken it once, and that was before having my tooth pulled. (I REALLY don't like going to the dentist" He actually prescribed it for me. I've never had a dentist do that before.
    Does anyone know anything about "Drug Court"? I know that my city has it, but I'm not real clear on what it is. Any input? Thank you all SO much for your responses.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Your case is heart breaking because you sound as if you have some legitimate pain. I hope everything ultimately works out for you. How you were busted is really irrelevant, but it's safe to say that someone somewhere became suspicious and did some cross checking. Pharmacists all know each other and somewhere along the line, one talked to another. I'd guess that one of the ones you paid cash for.....Anyone paying cash for narcotics is probably suspicious....Just my guess. But again, all this is irrelevant at this point.

My hope is that a Doc will help you through the withdrawal process....After all, it is a medical condition. If you checked into rehab, they would certainly help you with some type of drugs....either ween you down, with Sub, methadone, or whatever.

As far as your legal trouble goes, I'm not a lawyer, but I do know that most DA's are reasonable when it comes to those in pain who get in trouble. Those purely recreational users are a different story. The fact that you've got a documented medical condition will help a lot. In fact, the more medical documentation you can provide, the better.

Granted, you Doc shopped, but they were valid scripts and you have what appears to be a valid condition. If you were diverting or recreating, it would me much different. I don't want to give you any false hope, but I think you lawyer is probably right.....The drug court is a good and viable option for people like you. In drug court, what typically happens is that the court sets certain conditions....like rehab, counseling, & etc. and if you abide by all the condition, they go fairly easy on you. However, getting into drug court is contingent on being a first offense, no prior record(s), & etc. which sounds like you qualify for based on your attorney statements. The overall mission of drug court is rehabilitation not corporal punishment.

Good luck and hope everything turns out ok.

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 03-02-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-03-2008, 04:50 AM   #8
    GenSyd1
    (female)

GenSyd1 HB User

I cannot thank everyone enough for the responses I've recieved. I'm feeling hopeful about my case now. I went to my first NA meeting last night and it was AMAZING!! I have a sponsor now and I believe with help I can get through this. I'm going to be assessed for rehab later today and I know that will help also. But this board is proving to be an invaluable resource for me.
    After being in the hospital four times since September, my baby girl is scared that mommy won't be here when she wakes up. That seriously breaks my heart, but I tell her that "yes, mommy will be here", and I pray that's true for the rest of my life.
    Thank you everyone for giving me some hope. Not only for the court case, but also for giving me hope that there is a way to help my pain.
    Thanks...Gen

Old 03-03-2008, 06:50 AM   #9
    shannonjord08
    (female)

shannonjord08 HB User

syd,
    Do you know when your case will be going to court? If you can, have anyone that knows that you're in this much pain to write a letter, even the doctor that gave you the meds. Trust me, if the judge knows that you're not the type of person that does this on a regular basis, then he will be more willing to give you a second chance. As long as this is the first offense for you. The letters will let the judge know about your character. It helped my brother even having more than one offense.
    I will be praying for you. Keep me updated.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
    logalind
    (female)

logalind HB User

GenSyd1:

Ur story scared the crap out of me. It also let me know that I am not running a good program. U have helped me take a real look at my life and I don't like what I see. I am getting on my knee's and praying for help. Thank you so much for your experience it is giving me hope!!! I am so sorry you are in such a position, and I will pray for you. Lets keep the hope and keep posting maybe we can help each other. I am so happy you got a sponsor they are a lifeline. I don't use mine as much as I should be I need to work on that and alot of other things 1 at a time. I tend to get ahead of myself alot and need to Keep it Simple I have problems doing that. Thanks for sharing your story. May God be with you. I was given some good advice yesterday at a meeting, if you have the big book open it to page 65 and every morning read the 3rd step prayer to give your addiction over to God. Someone told me it helped them so I'm gonna try heck I'll try anything.

Take Care,
    Lori

Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
    shannonjord08
    (female)

shannonjord08 HB User

Gensyd,
    I was just checking on you to see how everything was going. Let me know how you're doing.
    SJ

Old 03-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #12
    eaffbf
    (female)

eaffbf HB User

Hi Syd,
    I was reading though this thread, and just wanted to say that i am too praying for you, i truely hope that everything works out for you and your little girl....i will keep checking this thread to see how you are doing... i am new too this site and i have also found allot of support here....for a while i have been feeling that my vicoden and norco intake has gotten out of control. my doc had started prescribing vicoden to me in 0ct 2007 and then it went to norco's. I have degenerative disc in my lower back and in October i feel down a flight of stairs and it really messed me up. Any way i am now up to sometimes 10 of 7.5 norco's a day, i know it is more than prescribed, and i worry that i might unintensionally (sp?) overdose. so i started reading these threads trying to find some answers....anyway, off the topic.....
    hope you are well, and things work out on the 12th for you!
    later eaffbf

Old 03-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User

First off,you didn't forge any scripts,you weren't selling any of the meds.
    The person that mentioned his brother getting 1-4 yrs. in prison,You have to take into consideration that he stoled medications,and since he didn't have a prescription for them,he was also charged with possession of a controlled substance. I don't care what anyone tells you,at most,you'll get probation.
    The scripts were in your name,so they can't charge you with possession of a controlled sub. etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to madhatter For This Useful Post:
    gmak (10-09-2012)
    Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
    shannonjord08
    (female)

shannonjord08 HB User

madhatter,
    I was trying to tell gensyd that she will be ok because even though my brother did steal the pills, he didn't get a sentence, just probabtion. She will be fine. She has a legitament problem and did nothing wrong. I just wish she would let us know how things are going.
    Shannon

Closed Thread