It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• What to say to Pain Mgmt. Doc.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
    diamondgirl19
    (female)

diamondgirl19 HB User
    What to say to Pain Mgmt. Doc.

I feel a need to call my PM Doc and tell them I will no longer be using pain meds. My reason is twofold. I want to cut off my access to medication if I were to become tempted to call for a refill on my prescriptions. Secondly, I am under contract and if I need pain meds in the future (dental, emergency, etc) I don't want to be in violation of my contract. I am not planning for something to happen but in case of emergency, I don't want to be scrambling to get in touch with him. Is it necessary to be released from your contract if you leave the practice? This is my first time signing this type of agreement and I don't want to sound suspicious when I call.

What should I say? I don't want to tell him I was abusing my medication. I am planning to go to another PM doc who doesn't so willingly write prescriptions. I need to find another way to deal with my back pain. I never want to go down that path again but I don't want to be labeled a drug addict by this doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
    Re: What to say to Pain Mgmt. Doc.

This is a great question. As I posted before under your other thread, I'd be very careful what I told him. You never know when you may need him in the future for some type of pain you may develop. Additionally, you don't want him to make permanent record in your file that you're an addict. Yes, things got sideways with your meds, but you weren't a recreational user and had legitimate medical issues. Your situation is completely different than say someone who used someone else's meds, Doc shopped or whatever. All I'm saying is that you don't want to be painted by a wide brush and lumped in with the run of the mill addict. You never know who's hands your medical records may end up in.

Thus, I would set up an appointment and go see him...Or go to your next scheduled appointment. Tell him that you really want to try to manage your pain without narcotics and see how your life manages. Tell him that you've put a lot of time into thinking and really want to try this, but that you really appreciate all that he has done for you and would like to keep the option open to return as a patient one day. I think you'll glean some very good information from him. I'm feel quite sure you're not the first patient to go down this road (in his clinic). Explain that it has nothing to do with him or his office, but that you don't like to be tied to meds everyday and you think you are too young to be on a lifelong schedule of meds. However, tell him you may prove yourself wrong and the pain may require medication again at some point. I'd even tell him you're going to try some non-traditional methods such as breathing techniques & etc.

I think by approaching it via the above, you can accomplish your goal of eliminating meds, but also keep the option open one day....You never know what could happen one day. He'll probably tell you that in order to be restored as a patient, you'll need to come back in at some point to get re-established and talk about your condition. Thus, you won't be able to "phone in" and get meds.

Lastly, you have to remember that when you first decided to do all of this and you were posting daily (some times multiple times daily), you were very emotional as you were going through a lot. You obviously don't want all of that part of your permanent medical record(s). Now that you have stabilized and thinking more clearly, you probably have a different perspective on things.

Best of luck to you. I have a lot of respect for you!

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 03-09-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Added text

Old 03-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

It is never a good idea to reveal or volunteer information about anything to anyone that isn't necessary. Not every person that works in the medical field can keep their mouth shut and you just never know how medical people will interpret what you say...they are after all just regular men and women with their own personal prejudices and personal problems. All these people in the medical profession are legally bound by law to never say a thing about medical information...don't you believe it. I live in a small town and just recently a hospital worker was fired because she just had to tell her boyfriend private information...he then went to the local tavern and just couldn't keep his mouth shut and so the patient's very private past drug and past everything is now part of town gossip. That is just one that the patient found out about but so much is said that should There are some things and this is one of them to keep private and you will just need to keep control over your own sobriety. Sorry ...but that's just something to think about. ...you do what you want.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #4
    diamondgirl19
    (female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

Do I need to get myself released from contract? I don't have any future appts. but if I need to break contract, I will make one. Is Suboxone a violation of my contract? Just thought of that.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Ex just gave you some really good advice here.what exactly are your plans with regards to getting on sub?the thing is,if this is the route you really truely want to go on,i would seriously consider just telling your PM that you wish to move onto another PM who uses some particular modality to manage pain that they cannot offer you there?you would have to do some checking and homework here.

i cannot say this for certain but i do think you have to actually in some way,cancel your contract with the current PM in order to move onto another?or at least sit down with the current PM and tell him that you really just don't want to be on any narcotics anymore for right now but do not want to take that option completely out of the picture yet,just incase.you just never know what your future may bring unfortuently and you may really need his help at some point.

the thing here is,you REALLY do need to know just exactly what it is you want to do or need to do before making any real permanent type decisions.can you realistically even go without narcotics?can you manage your pain using other modalities?alot of my ongoing pain just does not respond to any level of narcotic and i have had sooo many side effects from the types of meds needed to really manage this neuro and sympathetically generated pain that i have been forced pretty much just to seek out non med ways of managing at least the ugly flares.you really don't know just what particular modality will really work for you til you start trying other ones,you know what i mean?

just really looking at your current situation and seeing whether any of the narcotics you have been taking are really helping or hurting you and going from there as far as making any real "set' decisions is something you have to do before going ahead with anything that could effect your ability to be able to really use that option if needed.just really having a good heart to heart with your PM about wanting to try as much as possible to use non narcotic methods woud probably be the best way to start.if you really feel addicted to this stuff and really NEED to get off,you may have to remove yourself from PM for now if you want to go the sub route.

i would very highly suggest that you seek out whats called an addictionologist to help guide you thru this and to just make the best possible decisions for yourself.these are all of course just suggestions.only you know for sure where you are at and what really does need to be done here.but doing kind of a self assessment of you,your real needs and anything else that comes into play would really be the best thing to do first before burning any real bridges.just ask yourself,what are my real TRUE needs at this point?you just need to know this before anything else can be considered or done.i do wish you luck with this.please keep us posted.Marcia

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'd make an appointment to tell him what I outlined in my last post....That way you're not viewed as someone who quit showing up without any explanation. Unless you're PM Doc drug tests and you might be tested at your next visit, I wouldn't say anything about the Sub. Even if he random tests, I'd chance it. And if by chance, it's your lucky # that day, you could always say that it's not needed because after today, you're not going to be a patient anymore and you'd rather not pay the co-pay (UAs get billed to your insurance). I'd just go in & tell him that you want to manage he pain w/o drugs and you've weened down by yourself....He'll probably give you some "view" on the subject which will be enlightening.

This way, you leave on good terms and at the point, the contract is null & void because you're not a patient there anymore. I'm afraid if you tell him about the Sub, he may say you broke the contract and/or that you should have worked through his office....He'd also probably request all your records from whoever has been helping you. Hopefully, these people aren't going to double back and tell him anything. Again, when you're in pain and on meds, the anxiety and hopelessness that sometimes kicks in can be overwhelming and for me, I'd not want all the crap part of my permanent record.

Some may disagree with my approach, but I think it's a very practical one that works given all the controversy that's in PM today. You accomplish your goal and leave on good terms. You also leave the door open in the event that something should happen to you in the future....Which is the key here I think. God forbid, but you just don't know what could happen...And in the event that you need PM, you wouldn't want to be fighting the addict stigma or have them questioning whether your condition is valid. However, do what you think is best.

Good luck!

Ex

Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
    diamondgirl19
    (female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

Last week when I was in full panic mode, I called there and said I was taking more than he prescribed for me and I had become very dependent and they needed to do something to help me. They offered to bring me in and ween me off the medication. I told them I would let them know what I decided because at that point, I had already gone 2 days without anything.

I called back today and spoke to nurse. I told her that I was doing much better and I decided to quit taking everything and to re-evaluate how I would do with just OTC meds. I asked if I needed an appt. because I was under contact and she told me no. She said I should just do what I thought was right and if I found I needed their help to call them and they would get me back in there.

My father thinks I should call them back and tell them to rip up the contract. I am nervous about calling attention to my concern about the contract. I don't plan to be taking any pain meds anytime soon but if I need them in the future, should I be concerned about this contract? I am currently being prescribed Suboxone from Addiction Doc but I don't think I will need another prescription. He gave me 2 week supply and I think I should be done by then.

Should I just leave it alone since I told them I'm not planning to come back anytime soon?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
    Executor
    Inactive
    (male)

I'd call back and ask to speak to the same nurse that you spoke to before and tell her that you've thought of it more, and you've decided that you are going to do without pain meds and manage your pain naturally....Therefore, you won't be coming in anymore and just wanted to let them know. Also, ask her where that leaves you with the contract and see what she says. I'll bet she says that there isn't / won't be a contract anymore since you don't plan on coming back anymore. Make sure you tell her that you just wanted to follow up and make sure everything was left on good terms. If she doesn't say anything about the contract when you ask her about it (above) then tell her you just want to make sure that if you need teeth pulled one day, or whatever, that it's not considered a violation (if you were Rx'd meds). I expect the conversation to go very well and for her to tell you that it's null & void going forward. The contract is only good while you are a patient there. It's primarily to warn patients about Doc shopping.

Hope this helps.

Ex

Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 AM   #9
    diamondgirl19
    (female)

diamondgirl19 HB User

Thanks. I am going to do just that today. Thanks for the advice!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
    sterling7777
    (male)

sterling7777 HB User

Hi, I don't post much. I am sorry to break into this thread but, I am curious about these contracts. I herniated a disc in my back years ago. I opted to not have surgery. After about 8 months of limping around, my doctor sent me to a pain management doctor. It was located at the hospital. I thought I was finally going to get meds that help. I was told. We don't do that here. I was given percocet for 2 weeks. And that was it. Then I went through all kinds of physical therapy. I was all better in 2-3 months.If I was asked to sign a contract, I would have walked out. I had a friend going to a PM doctor.He had to sign a contract. He used an x-ray that was 7 years old from a broken wrist. They gave him all the pills he wanted. Why would someone sign a contract with a doctor? It seems to me that these places that have you sign a contract, are pill mills.Why do they only take cash? They dole out the pills, you get addicted,then they send you next door for sub or methadone. Do any of these contract places do anything else for your pain besides write scripts.I am not trying to offend anyone, please don't misunderstand me. I am very curious. I am clean now for 9 months off 60-70mg of roxicodone per day. I got my pills from a friend that went to one of these contract doctors. He took the methadone they gave him and sold me the roxicodone they also gave him.
    Having said all this. My advise would be to find a different (real) Doctor that tries to deal with your pain in other ways.

Closed Thread