It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Surgery without pain meds. Is it possible?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
    dogm
    (male)

dogm HB User
    Surgery without pain meds. Is it possible?

Hello

I am having hand surgery next week and I am extremely nervous and anxious about how I will handle and what to do about the pain. I have been opiate free from 1 year. I take 8mg of Suboxone daily.

Does anyone have any recommendations that they can share regarding a pain management plan that might help me deal with the pain?

I am also curious to hear if anyone used opiates for surgery, in a controlled environment, and if that worked?

Thanks

DOGM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
    FullCircle08
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

FullCircle08 HB User
    Re: Surgery without pain meds. Is it possible?

What is your history with Pain Meds and what surgery hare u having . Give us a little more history and we can help.

d

Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
    logalind
    (female)

logalind HB User

I was told in rehab that you can do this in a controlled environment. Give the pills to someone else to dole out to you when you need them. Some one you trust and who will tell you no its not time. I will pray for you sweetie this is a tough one. Have you tt your doc. What is there opinion.

Lori

Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
    sam78
    Veteran
    (female)

sam78 HB User

Hey dog, from experience... if you are going to have surgery, and extremity is a good place to start. First and foremost, you HAVE to be honest and upfront with your physician, and then anyone who cares for you, from a nurse to the nice sleepy sleepy doctor. There are many many choices for dealing with surgery and pain afterwards. I had a close friend in recovery that had a very involved shoulder surgery. She had it set up so that they did a nerve block for pain control. She is a nurse so they sent her home with a line that allowed numbing medication to be continously infused into the nerve to numb the arm so she didnt have to use pain medication. I dont know if this is an option for the lay public. However, i personally have had multiple surgeries on my abdomen. My plan was as followed. One I told anyone that walked in my room i was an addict. Be honest. It will help to prevent that little addict from popping up and being stupid. Secondly, when they first sedate you, ask them to give you the sedative, often called Versed, to sedate you first. This will allow you to be somewhat out of it when you get the narcotics and wont allow you to experience the rush. That is KEY!!!! Also if you are being put to sleep they can put you to sleep without the use of any narcotics to begin with so you dont feel the narcotics. For afterwards, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE YOUR DRUG OF CHOICE. From personal experience, you will fall off the band wagon and very quickly. I cant tell you how quickly I fell bad into the cycle as soon as I received the first drop of my drug of choice. There are many many drugs out there for pain control, so just dont take them. And finally, as logalind said, have someone from recovery with you. Do not handle a prescription for pain medicine. Go stay with someone or have someone stay with you. Remember you are an addict and cannot be trusted with pain medicine. Have some one give you pain medicine when you need it so you have to ask for it. That way they can monitor you and your pain. And as soon as you think you can handle the pain, flush the rest. Get them out of your accesibility so that you wont even consider them anymore. It was very rough for me, and I didnt take these steps and wound up in trouble. And with a year sobriety, you dont want to waste it. Be smart and be honest. Hope that helps, like I said this is what worked for me.

Closed Thread