It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Coming off of percocet after 4 years

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
    parapluie
    (female)

parapluie HB User
    Coming off of percocet after 4 years

Hi everyone... I'm a 20 year old female who is in need of some support. 4 years ago, I had to go to the emergency room because of some extreme pain that I was experiencing. 6 months and 4 back surgeries later, the doctors finally figured out that my back was broken. Many complications have arisen from that and I ended up having a total of 16 back surgeries over the past 4 years. Throughout that entire time, I've been on percocet.

I started at a relatively small dose (one percocet every 6 hours) but eventually built up to 2 percocet every 4 hours due to increased pain and tolerance to the medication. I was never happy about having to be on this medication and I've been telling my doctors that I wanted to come off of it for over two years now but they always just brushed me off. I finally realized that I needed to take the initiative and just tell them that I was going to stop taking it. I knew better than to just stop the medication cold turkey as I tried this once before when I was extremely frustrated with it and I've never felt worse in my entire life. So I've been tapering down over the past month and a half and it's been difficult to keep myself from rushing it. I want to be off of this medication so badly and I just want the crappy withdrawal feelings to be over with that it's difficult to keep myself from stopping all at once.

I have managed to get myself down to 4 pills per day which is a huge drop from the 12 pills per day that I was taking a month and a half ago. I still take a dose every 4 hours, but I've been cutting the pills so that I take 3/4 of a pill for 4 doses and 1/2 of a pill for the other 2 doses. I've felt like crap the entire time I've been tapering but I do have the motivation to do this. I'm supposed to be leaving the country for school in August and need to be off the medication by then.

I feel like now that I'm nearing the end of the taper, things have become more difficult and I really need some help and advice from people who have been there, hence the reason why I'm posting this. I do not feel like I'm mentally addicted to this medication, my withdrawal is purely physical. It's just very difficult to keep myself from taking more than I should when I know that taking a pill will make all the crappy physical feelings go away.

Basically I'd like to know how I'm supposed to handle the last stretch of this taper. I haven't really had an official schedule as to when I cut the dose down, I usually just cut it down when I start to feel comfortable with whatever dose I'm at. I've been at 4 pills per day for over 2 weeks now and still feel awful. How did you guys do it? I'm not willing to replace this drug with another (so I won't take xanax or valium to deal with the withdrawal symptoms). It seems like the worst physical symptoms for me are insomnia, anxiety and feeling like I'm going to jump out of my skin and go out of my mind. Of course it isn't nearly as terrible as if I had just stopped the medication cold turkey but it's definitely extremely unpleasant.

I think I need some emotional support as well. My family tries but none of them can possibly understand how this feels as none of them have ever had to come off of a narcotic before. I just need to talk to some people who have been where I am right now and succeeded or to people who are going through the same thing right now.

I appreciate any responses I get and thanks for sticking with me if you read this far

Last edited by parapluie; 04-02-2008 at 09:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
    maggieloop
    Inactive
    (female)

maggieloop HB User
    Re: Coming off of percocet after 4 years

I'm so sorry that you had to go through so much at such a young age. It's good that you are doing a slow taper from the pills though. I don't have any advice on the taper, but there are a lot of things you can do as far as some of the symptoms.

I started to take epsom salt baths with clary sage essential oils in it. The contraindication for the clary sage is that you shouldn't use it with a narcotic, but you could check with your dr first. Are you still living at home? If you are, maybe you could get a family member to give you a massage to help you relax and to help the muscles loosen up.

Another thing that may be suggested to you is attending a NA meeting, I've never gone to one, but from what I hear they are a big help. ALso, coming onto this board has been a big help to me and everyone is very helpful and friendly.

Good luck with the taper and let us know how things go!

Maggie

Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
    DroopyEyes
    (male)

DroopyEyes HB User

Hi kiddo...

Not sure which London you're in but if it's the one across the pond, tell my best friend from grade school I said hi.

Welcome to this board. You sound very mature for a 20 year old and I am very proud of how you've taken stock of your situation and actions to make your wishes happen.

You and I sound very similar. I'm just about 2 weeks sober. It's almost painful to write about. I almost feel that if I talk about it, I'll fall off the wagon, if that makes any kind of sense.

I, too, followed a very slow taper from 12 Norco (10mg hydro/325 apap) a day down to that last pesky 2.5mg eventually to just twice a day, then done.

In retrospect, I think i did it the right way, so I suggest you first evaluate what type of personality you have. Are you better at following a schedule, or reducing a dosage? I am an order-taker, so having a pre-printed timetable helped me and gave me a lot of comfort and optimism. I increased the time gap, then decreased the dose. It lessened things greatly.

I will tell you that once the supply was gone, it was enormously difficult - you can go back and read for yourself. My wife literally held me on the floor while I cried. So my advice would be...try to look at the end of your supply as a GOOD THING...something to celebrate...and don't do it alone.

I've begun attending NA meetings at the suggestion of friends here. I never thought I would. I'm glad i did. It's given me the in person therapy i've realized I've needed.

I hope this info helps and I pray for your continued strength and direction.

Last edited by DroopyEyes; 04-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
    parapluie
    (female)

parapluie HB User

maggieloop - Thanks so much for the reply. I've been taking hot baths and that seems to help, it just sucks that the relaxation that I get from it is inevitably quite temporary. I am living with my boyfriend and he's been great about the massage thing. As far as the NA meetings go, I was under the impression that they were more for psychological addiction versus a purely physical one? I am absolutely positive that I'm not psychologically addicted to these pills - I hate taking them and have wanted off of them pretty much ever since I started taking them, I was just never well enough to do so until now. I think maybe I just need to suck it up and deal with it at this point. I cut the dose down to 3 pills per day or 1/2 a pill every 4 hours a couple of days ago and that hasn't been too awful. Anyway.. I'll shut up now. Thank you for the response though.

DroopyEyes - I'm actually from the Canadian London It's nice to hear from someone who's been there and who got off of it. I've tried twice before to come off of this medication - once I just stopped taking it after 2 years (and I'll never do that again) and then another time I did a fairly fast taper down and had some medical issues come up again that required me to go back on it. I'm hoping that this will be the one that sticks.. it was always such a disappointment to have to go back on it after getting off. Generally I would say that I'm more likely to do well with following a schedule, but I think in this case I've been doing better just going by how I feel. When I spoke to my doctor before I started, she said that reducing the dosage by 10% every 3-7 days is a general guideline but that I should go by how I feel. So what I've been doing is lowering the dosage and staying there until I start to feel comfortable and the withdrawal symptoms lessen, and then I lower it again. I write down every single dose that I take that way I can see my progress and know I'm accomplishing something. You say that you increased the time gap and then reduced the dosage and that that worked for you.. up until now, my plan was to continue to reduce the dose until I'm at 1 1/2 pills per day (or 1/4 of a pill every 4 hours) and then start to space it out since at that point I won't be able to cut the pills down anymore. I'm kind of wondering if I shouldn't maybe try to space the doses out to every 6 hours at the dose I'm at now and then cut it down from there.. I'll have to consider that. Anyway thank you again... you've helped more than you know.

Closed Thread