It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• cold turkey, impossible ween or suboxone/subutex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
    bobokitty
    (female)

bobokitty HB User
    Question cold turkey, impossible ween or suboxone/subutex

Hi all! I'm very happy to have found this board. Your insights have been very helpful. My question is this: Last year, I detoxed from 8-80mg Oxycontin pills a day. I thought I could just quit but I ended up in the ER and after that, I literally threw up for two weeks straight, not one stitch of food, barely conscious, horrible pain... HELL, the worst two weeks of my life!! I am now on 10-20 Norcos a day (totally off Oxy) and can't seem to successfully ween off of them. I'm a little scared to quit cold turkey because of my Oxy experience, should I bite the bullet and just go for it? Am I going to be okay? Or should I try the Suboxone/Subutex route? I know you guys can't really tell me if I will definitely be okay, but an experienced opinion would be greatly appreciated. I've been taking opiates for about ten years now and worry every day about the damage I'm doing to my liver/kidneys from the acetomenophin. Thank you so much for your input!

The following user gives a hug of support to bobokitty:
    livingzombie (12-13-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
    acaptainn
    (male)

acaptainn HB User
    Re: cold turkey, impossible ween or suboxone/subutex

Hi and welcome to the boards. I detoxed many years ago from about 800mgs.
    of oxy. per day. And it was awfull! Even in a facility who gave me what they could to help ease the w/d. I then relaspsed 2 weeks aftr getting out of the detox facility.

Ive relapsed many many times since then while using smaller amounts.Ive tried tapering myself off as well with no success.

In my opinion a sub Doc would be a good choice, since you like myself have been using opiates many years.

I have an appt. with a Sub Doc next thursday ( my 1st time trying sub) as ive tried getting clean on my own and have failed.I believe i NEED proffesional help to get my life back and to live sober.

Wishes of goodluck and prayers coming to ya....Acap.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
    Missy14
    (female)

Missy14 HB User
    Re: cold turkey, impossible ween or suboxone/subutex

Hi - been right where you are.....many times. If an addict could successfully taper, there'd be no need for suboxone or treatment programs. some people are able to do it. I tapered from 25 10mg Norco a day down to 3 over 2 weeks and went cold turkey and had withdrawals that were really bad ... didn't last as long as when I'd gone cold turkey w/o the taper, but they were still intense and horrid....and I relapsed.........several times. Then I got onto Suboxone and I'm in heaven ever since. I highly recommend that along with support groups like aa/na. good luck

Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
    fitz31
    (male)

fitz31 HB User
    Cool Re: cold turkey, impossible ween or suboxone/subutex

Bobokitty, I believe the best you can do is taper real slow from oxy. I have been there and as far as suboxone goes its like switching seats on the titanic. The WD`S from sub are real bad but perhaps better if you dive in quick and use it for a short time.Go back in time on the boards and read all the stories about suboxone. I was on it and eventually went back to vicodin and tapered on that, and that worked for me.But my addiction stands in my shadow and can consume me at any time, and I belive it could. Get help every way you can. Once an addict, always an addict.Believe it!Peace.FITZ.

Closed Thread