It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 6 days off suboxone not easy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
    lovingfather
    (male)

lovingfather HB User
    6 days off suboxone not easy

I have been off sub for 6 days and it is hard! Like hard to get up and get going in the morning, back pain that feels deep and to the core of my spine.
    No energy is the biggest obstacle for me at this point. I take aleve for the pain and it helped alot and also a heating pad on my back gives some relief. Another big problem is sleeping, not as much going to sleep but waking up at night in pain and feeling a nervous energy. The chills and goosebumps are gone and the burning pain down my legs has stopped. Again it is the energy level that is having a big drawback on my recovery. I have taken xanax to calm me down when I feel extra anxious, and I drink alcohol on occasion to feel "better" but it only makes me feel worse in the end. I remember when I found a doctor that knew about suboxone I thought my troubles were over, I had found a magic drug that gets you off methadone and takes care of withdrawls at the same time. 2 things worried me, one a girl in the waiting room told me at NA meetings they don't consider you clean if still on suboxone and the other was the fact that I was in severe withdrwl from meth and within an hour of taking 2- 8mg tabs I felt O.K. I felt then that complete recovery was a long way off as long as I was on sub. Well I am no longer on sub and feel like just last night I had turned a corner but woke this morning feeling bad. It doesn't happen overnight but it does slooowly get better. Like losing a loved one only time can heal that type of wound, much the same as abusing meth for 12 yrs it is going to take time for me to heal. I have faith in God that He has given me the strength to push foward with my recovery and nothing will stop me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
    vickyc
    (female)

vickyc HB User
    Re: 6 days off suboxone not easy

Hello friend! It sounds as though your where your supposed to be with the detox... Just try to remember the crappier you feel, the better your getting!! I have found that B-12 (sublingual) helps get your energy levels up greatly. I also read there is L-tyrosine that you can get at a vitamin shop that also helps with boosting energy levels, but you do not want to take that with any benzo (xanax, ativan, restoril) Your friend you met that told you about Suboxone is absolutly right when it comes to the NA meeting this goes as well as the Alcohol. But please dont think your not welcome there, you are!! You just cant "share" if you used that day and if you were clean that day, that would be an awesome opportunity to pick up your first chip! I cant say enough about NA and AA. Addiction does not discrimiate against color, religion, weatlth....hang in there honey and God Bless!!

Last edited by vickyc; 04-14-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
    Wireman25
    (male)

Wireman25 HB User

lOVINGFATHER
    Congratulations i was also taking suboxone only 2mgs and you are almost home. its a battle i too tried to take the edge off and it does not work you are right you feel worse. Hang in there pray and no you are not alone. i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

PS Hello to Reach. Maggio and Captnanny i have been thining of all of you.

God bless

wireman

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #4
    logalind
    (female)

logalind HB User

when I got off suboxone I didn't have any bad reactions I think I was taken off to early. If they would have kept em on a little longer I think if would have helped. Cuz at that point I still hadn't grasped the idea that I could no long use DUH! So I relapsed I am going to go back and get back on sub and this time I am going to be honest with the doctor and tell her I need to be on them for longer than 4 wks. How many mg. were you taking when you went off of them. My doc weined me off of them it was really helpful. Keep on keepin on baby. And not to argue with the previous post but going to an NA meeting all you have to have is a desire to stop using. You have shown that by getting on the suboxone. Some meeting will let you share if you have a burning desire some meeting aren't that strict I find AA to be more restrictive but I think it only the meetings I attend. But, don't get me wrong I love the programs NA/AA they have saved my life and the fellowship is AWESOME. To meet people like us is incredible. Everyone is so welcoming and loving I felt like I was home when I went there. Good luck on your journey.

Lori

Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
    g8trgrl15
    Veteran
    (female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

Hey all.. I'm currently getting off of sub. Been on it since the middle of September. It's been a lifesaver, but I get scared to taper once I read things like this. I just wish it wouldn't be hard to get off of. Like I could just quit taking it... I'm down to 2mgs a day. Now I have to go to one. I have faith that it will be okay though. I have my family to help me through and a reason.. so I will succeed!!!! Best of luck to everyone!!

love and prayers,
    g8trgrl

Old 04-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
    goalsOF2007
    (male)

goalsOF2007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g8trgrl15 View Post
    Hey all.. I'm currently getting off of sub. Been on it since the middle of September. It's been a lifesaver, but I get scared to taper once I read things like this. I just wish it wouldn't be hard to get off of. Like I could just quit taking it... I'm down to 2mgs a day. Now I have to go to one. I have faith that it will be okay though. I have my family to help me through and a reason.. so I will succeed!!!! Best of luck to everyone!!

love and prayers,
    g8trgrl
    Good luck to you and I wish you the best.
    "YOU CAN DO IT"
    Please keep us posted on your process during/after the total taper.

I was also thinking of trying SUB.
    Is the cost the same as Methadone clinic?
    Does insurance benefits cover the cost.?

Currently on a low dose of Methadone (I really want to get off)
    80.00 a week out of pocket cost for the methadone.
    Having to go to clinic more i really would like to.

Methadone has totally been a life saver for me!

Last edited by Administrator; 04-19-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: removed disallowed website

Old 05-28-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
    sickntired74
    (female)

sickntired74 HB User

I was on subocone for nearly nine months starting at 8mg and very slowly cutting back untill I found myself down to 1mg and my rx running out. The cost was so great that I said to hell with it and quit alltogether.....bad choise three days later I was in so much pain from my lower back that I did the big no no I got a rx for vicodin! I thought I could handle it this time no problem well turns out I was kidding myself. Here I am two months later on day 3(ya me) of withdrawls kind a feeling better today but the past two day were definitly not worth anything that either suboxone or vicodin did for me. It not easy but I really encourage even suboxone users to get out of the vicious cycle.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #8
    kellibear
    (female)

kellibear HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by goalsOF2007 View Post
    Good luck to you and I wish you the best.
    "YOU CAN DO IT"
    Please keep us posted on your process during/after the total taper.

I was also thinking of trying SUB.
    Is the cost the same as Methadone clinic?
    Does insurance benefits cover the cost.?

Currently on a low dose of Methadone (I really want to get off)
    80.00 a week out of pocket cost for the methadone.
    Having to go to clinic more i really would like to.

Methadone has totally been a life saver for me!
    sub can be very expensive, most sub dr.s do not take insurance and the pills are extremely expensive if you don't have ins. (about $8 a pill). my first visit to my sub dr. was $400 and then $200 a month, thank god i have ins., so the cost is $50 for me.(for the pills) sub has a huge advantage over meth in the fact that you don't have to go to a clinic everyday. the drug co. that makes sub also has a program where every sub dr. can treat 2 pt.s for free. there are also studies where you can get your sub for free. sub dr.s have a 100 pt. limit so finding a doctor may be hard if you don't live in a big city. it is supposed to be easier to detox off sub, other than meth, but many people have a hard time getting off and have paws for months--but that depends on how long you are on sub. most people say it is easier to use sub for only 2-3 weeks. if you are switching from meth to sub, you must taper your meth down to 30mg and then wait until you're in withdrawl. for meth--most people have to wait at least 36 hours. if you are on short acting opiates, most people have to wait 12 hrs. you have to gauge your withdrawls by the C.O.W.S scale--your dr. can explain that. some dr.s induct in their office and watch you for a couple of hr.s and some--like my dr.--gives a script and you go home to induct. it is ALWAYS best to start off at a low dose--2mg, then wait an hour, if you need more, take another 2mg etc... the best dose is the dose that stops withdrawls and cravings. i started out at 16mg/day, and i had been taking 80 10mg lortab a day or 50 ultrams a day if i couldn't get the lortab. i took 8mg and felt absolutely fine in 30min. i am now tapering and trying to get off asap to lessen the paws. good luck to you and please educate yourself about sub before you begin. also, i would suggest to anyone--get a doctor that is an addictionologist or is very knowledgeable about sub, because some just don't have a clue and will give ridiculously high doses. sub has a ceiling effect at 16mg, but some long term meth pt.s will have to start a little higher.

Closed Thread