It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Subutex...if not taken sublingually (???)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
    SonicMax77
    Inactive
    (male)

SonicMax77 HB User
    Subutex...if not taken sublingually (???)

Hello...

Developed a real bad case of sciatica this past winter...the pain was so severe I couldn't believe it. I asked the doctor why this was so...in the absence of a direct injury to the affected area...& the answer was that that was "just the nature of sciatica".

So...Oxycodone & physical therapy were prescribed...both of which I practiced religiously (just kiddin'). With the Oxycodone, tho...seriously...I was hurting so bad for so long...by the time the physical therapy reduced the pain...I had developed a dependency.

My doctor put me on Suboxone...but the stupid Naxalone in the mix made me more nauseous than the damn withdraw symptoms. So he switched me over to Subutex, which is taken sublingually (under the tongue, until it dissolves)...(same method I used for the Suboxone).

The thing is...I have a hard time dissolving the pills under my tongue...& I take the medication when I get home from work at the same time I do my physical therapy for the sciatica...so I'm worried that a pill will slip down my throat, undissolved.

If this happens, is it dangerous?

What actually does happen if one swallows the pills, without using the sublingual method?

[BTW...not trying to cut corners or get a buzz or anything...I'm just having a hard time dissolving the pills...must be something about my body. I've tried drinking a glass of water beforehand...but that only helps marginally.]

Thanks,

Sonic Max

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
    red212121
    (male)

red212121 HB User
    Re: Subutex...if not taken sublingually (???)

No it is not dangerous it just wont work like that. If I where you I would take it at a different time than doing that. I took mine when I was reading the paper or had a minute to sit down and relax. Just hold it under your tounge and suck on it like a mint, I know it is not the best thing but it does work.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
    SonicMax77
    Inactive
    (male)

SonicMax77 HB User

Thanks...

So you're saying that...it doesn't work at all, unless completely dissolved under the tongue?

SM

Old 04-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
    Yossarian22
    Veteran
    (male)

Yossarian22 HB User

hi

Do not chew or swallow the tablets. The medicine will not work this way and you may get withdrawal symptoms.

straight from the horses mouth - well from the back of the packet actually.

hope this helps

yoss

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

The medicine works by being absorbed by the blood vessels under the tounge so it goes directly into your system. if you swallow it, you are bypassing all the blood vesses, so it wont work as well, if at all.
    have you tried cutting it into a couple smaller pieces and allowing those to dissolve (it will be quicker this way than with a whole pill) and also, rinse your mouth out with the hottest water possible before taking it.

hope this helps,

michelle

Old 04-16-2008, 12:14 PM   #6
    Sonic Max
    (male)

Sonic Max HB User

Thanks all...

Figured out a way to take the medication successfully...under one side of my tongue, only. (For some reason...one side gives me a complete, fast dissolve...& the other side does hardly anything).

Anyway...doing fine...using less & less per day (&...w/ Subutex...less = more...holy cow...last night, I actually got buzzed up on just a small amount...my knees got rickety after working in the back yard; & my wife told me to sit down before I fell down). I'm doing good, tho...the doc is monitoring me; & I'm hoping to be substance free in two weeks.

Thanks again,

Sonic Max

Last edited by Sonic Max; 04-16-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Closed Thread