It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 3 days off Oxycontin, How much longer??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #31
    pingeye2
    (male)

pingeye2 HB User
    Re: 3 days off Oxycontin, How much longer??

Great to hear your game is doing well and your walking again. I actually played sunday also and I played good as well 40 40. I havent broken 80 in a while and I guess i still havent but i was close. I too have started walking more on the course as I find it to be a good form of excersise, especially on a hot day as yesterday was. The times I did play while using I thought that I actually played better while on OCs but my recent scores have proved that to be false.
    I thought to ask you about NA meetings. I have thought about attending numerous times but i havent foudn the strength to do it. My addiction has been a very private matter for me and as amazing as it sounds even those closest to me have no idea of my addiction. The only people the know of it are me, my addiction dr. and the dealer. My Dr. encourages me to attend meetings and I know they will help but I am very nervous about my secret getting out. I know that they are anonymous but this does not reasure me too much. I think that this site has helped me but I am sure the meetings would be even more effective. Im wondering about your experiences in meetings and if you initially had some of the same feelings that I have and how you overcame those feelings.
    I was discussing with my dr. the other day about how strange my addiction truly is. For example, With some drugs like cocaine and heroin or even different types of people the addiction is so strong where it totally ruins their lives and things become so unmanagable that recovery is the only option. In my case I was actually able to live a productive life as my drug use increased. Somehow I graduated college and actually landed a pretty good job and havde been mildly succesful. And throughout this time I had this secret that was killing me inside and making most of my life hell. This is why I am so fearful of my secret getting out. If people in my life found out they would be very shocked and I dont know how they would react. Anyways keep up the good work. I am 14 days clean and every day things get a little better. Hope your handicap starts dropping!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #32
    dorskin
    (male)

dorskin HB User

Way to go Ping!! 14 days is awesome.

For me the 1st meeting was the hardest. Now it is something that I want to go to. People there you can totally relate with. They don't care what you used, how much or how long you have been clean. "The newcomer is the most important person at the meeting. You can only keep what you have by giving it away" I got a round of applause, keychain, a hug and the white booklet at my first meeting. I was moved. Their constant encouragement and willingness to help me was amazing. During the meeting they passed around a pamphlet and all the guys wrote their numbers down. Told me to call them anytime, anytime.

I went to a meeting cause my fiance had had enough and told me it was time to clean up or she and the boy were gone. That was my rock bottom. I held, and still have, a great job. IT director at an engineering firm and no one knew a thing. I told my family cause I knew I would need their support, and they have been amazing. My brother still uses but understands what Im doing and has kept it completely away from me. Its just weed, but it still counts and was an everyday thing for me.

I would say that I look forward to my meetings. I tried a couple, some were too big and others I just couldn't relate to anyone. Check out some, you don't need to share or anything. I still haven't (other than my first day)

Good luck man,
    d

Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #33
    mariecan
    (female)

mariecan HB User

Dorskin
    I wanted to thank you for sharing so much of your recovery. My first day on here I read your story and it gave me the inspiration I needed.
    Thank You
    Mariecan

Old 07-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #34
    dorskin
    (male)

dorskin HB User

You are very welcome. Like I learned "you can only keep what you have, by giving it away" It is great to read your story as well. It helps me in my recovery also. I am checking the boards 2-3x a day, or whenever I need some "inspiration".

I hope you stick this out, it does get better. Trust me. Jerry was a big help for me and Im glad other ppl can read our discussion and get something from it. Someday someone will read your thread and take something from it.

Im on DAY 45 and doing great, thanks

d

Old 07-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #35
    pingeye2
    (male)

pingeye2 HB User

dorskin glad to hear you are still d oing well and also very glad to see that you are sharing your story to others on this site. I know your journal of your recovery really served as inspiration to me and I am sure many others. I am now on 24 days clean and I fell great. I havent been able to post as much recently but I do come on the site and read a few times a day. Seein some of the posts and reading about how desperate people are to recover and how terrible they feel actually helps me because it brings me back to those feelings and reminds me that is a place I never want to be again. Anyways just saying Hi and hope all is well. Enjoy the holliday weekend.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #36
    dorskin
    (male)

dorskin HB User

Good to hear from ya Ping, have a great holiday. Way to go on 24 days man, thats awesome!!

Things just got a lil rougher for me. I just found out I need to go through another round of epidural steroid injections. Basically they insert a needle into my spine and inject with steroids. It hurts like hell and this Dr that does it was the first to give me oxy. Im nervous

Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #37
    pingeye2
    (male)

pingeye2 HB User

ouch!! thats rough. I would recomend being as honest as you feel comfortable with this dr. I would also say to keep your support system extra strong during this treatment. No matter what I say though you know you will have some hard times and cravings. Remember no matter how you convince yourself or try to convince yourself you cant just handle one oxy and then continue along. If you have just one then it will be just two and so on. Stay strong man, I know how much strength it has taken to this point so I know you can do it.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #38
    dorskin
    (male)

dorskin HB User

Thats good thinking. What I'm going to do is take either my mom or fiance with me. They will be my rock and I should get thru this.

How you feeling Ping??

Old 07-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #39
    softmint
    (female)

softmint HB User

Please tell me that day 3 is the worst.....

Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #40
    dorskin
    (male)

dorskin HB User

Ya I would have to say Day 2-4 are the worst it is, depending on the amount used and for how long. I was around 120mg/day for 4mo, but on 30mg percs for 8mo prior. Vics, off and on, mostly on, about 20mg/day for 3yrs. How you doing?? How long has it been? Do you have a thread I can read?

Lemme know and take care. Drink your water, your body is starving for it right now

d

Closed Thread