It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Passing a urine test with benzo's in system for Methadone maintenance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User
    Passing a urine test with benzo's in system for Methadone maintenance

Hi there,

I came on this site all the time years ago when I was having a lot of problems myself with opiate dependence. Well I am trying to help a couple of friends out and got them both convinced to go to our local Methadone Clinic. Well they were supposed to start Monday then go up five mg each day. Well over the weekend they both did some Diazepam (better than the amount of heroin they were doing) to calm nerves and make it till the first dose on Monday. Well when they got the drug test on Monday they said because of the benzo's and that they can interact with Methadone they would have to stay at the 30mg dose until they tested clean. Well today is Friday and they said the benzo is still in their system. One of my friends is hanging tight and doing much better than the other who is really struggling. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how long diazepam takes to get out of the system and if there is a way to speed that process up so that when they re-test on Monday they are ensured to get their dose increase which they both desperately need. I'm worried without some positive input that one or both is going to lose hope and start using again over the weekend.

Thanks for any tips or advice!!! I'm doing okay in my own respects. Much better than a few years ago. And this website really saved my life back then!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
    Re: Passing a urine test with benzo's in system for Methadone maintenance

Hello Tina,

Something about this post seems a little suspect.

With respect to speeding up the process ; if I knew, it wouldn't be in my best interest to explain how.

Your "friends" will have to let nature take its' course. To do otherwise, by altering the natural order of things would be irresponsible and not the way nature intended.

They chose to take another substance without clearing it with the clinic;it is unfortunate but true that they have to now deal with the consequences.

If either one goes into crisis mode, then I suggest that the go to the nearest ER.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 07-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Sorry if it seems suspect. It really wasn't supposed to. And it is in all sincerity regarding two friends of mine. I just don't want either to give up on the process they have entered in to. I went off opiates myself but did it on my own. And I know how many times I failed in trying to do so. And I honestly don't think that I was as bad off as either of them. Your comment on having to let things go naturally is pretty much what I have told them myself. I figured though, that it didn't hurt to find out if there were ways to help the process. I had suggested drinking a lot of fluids, etc... the normal things. But I know sometimes vitamins, etc... can help and thought someone here might know more about it. I've never personally been in the situation that they are in, having to pass urine tests, etc... And I honestly don't know how long those types of drugs stay in your system. I just see them both struggling and it brings back memories of how many times that happened to me and rather than sticking through, I ended up falling back into my old ways. I just thought if they felt like they were DOING something it might help them to stay motivated. That was always a problem for me...when I felt like nature's course was too painful and taking too long I would get even more anxious and then start using again without giving it a chance. I was fortunate enough to have this board as well as good friends who had been thru similar experiences that gave me tips on how to feel better, eating, hydrating, excercising for natural endorphins, etc.... that finally I WAS able to do it on my own. But that was after more failures than I could probably even count. For each of them, this is their first attempt to try and get their lives back in order. And I know they each have very specific reasons why they need that to happen. But I also remember how the need for whatever you are addicted to can overpower so much more than you would think it can.

As I said before, I'm sorry if any of this sounded wrong in any way. That was not my intention. I just don't know that much about urine tests or blood tests and I know that both (especially one) is struggling and that the dose they start out on is barely getting them thru the day at this point. I just feel like I am seeing them losing hope that this does and can actually get better. I just felt the more information I could give them, the better.

And I appreciate your response very much! Thank you.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #4
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello Tina,

I know that it hurts to see them in this position but the best thing you can do at this point, without dragging yourself into their plight, is to play a "supporting" role.

The more involved you get, the more obligated you will feel to do something.

Take care.

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

Unfortunately they don't have a computer or internet. I think they would both benefit from having the support. I haven't heard from either of them since Friday. I've left a few messages. So I'm kind of worried that they fell of the wagon. Which sucks. Like you said Phoenix, you feel obligated the more involved you get. It's just that I've been in their shoes and know how hard it is. It's hard NOT to want to help somehow. But there is only so much you can do I guess.

But right now I've got my own problems to worry about I guess. They know I'm here if they want to talk. It's hard not to worry though. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you are stuck in it. That's how it was for me. Thankfully I had a lot of help from friends, and especially on here where other people were going thru the same things I was. Neither of them really have that. Most of their other "friends" are users that aren't interested in quitting. I've tried to be the sober voice telling them that it IS possible because I did it. But if they decide they don't want to hear it there isn't much I can do. It's sad though because both of them are great guys that really could have a lot going for them if they just gave it some time.

It makes me sad.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
    Phoenix
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tina76 View Post
    But right now I've got my own problems to worry about I guess.

Tina,

Care to mention what is going on with you at the moment?

Respectfully,

Phoenix

Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
    tina76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tina76 HB User

I've been trying to find a job that is the right fit for me. It's been rough. I'm working in sales right now and not selling anything....which is a problem because it means no money coming in. I finally had surgery last year to correct the problem that made it necessary to take pain meds in the first place, but the recovery took quite awhile because it was major surgery. So after that I've worked at three different places. I used to have good longevity on my resume but after my surgery I've just had job problems. Trying to find the right fit. So I'm stressed about that all the time. And just recently I had to have another surgery to correct a problem caused by the first one. It's just been a lot of stress trying to get things going. The past year has been really hard on me. But the good thing is that I'm not using any narcotics for pain anymore. That part is good. But I dont' handle stress that well which is why I started using more and more of them in the first place. So it's hard trying to deal with things in sobriety. I always had medication as an "escape". So I'm proud of myself for not falling back into bad habits. But it's a lot of work. The stress really gets to me. But I'm trying to work on it. I have good friends and that helps. And my brother is awesome and I can talk to him about anything. But it's still stressful. Thanks for asking. I appreciate it.

Closed Thread