It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• is restless hands,legs,arms a sign of tramadol withdrawal?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
    nicolette36
    (female)

nicolette36 HB User
    is restless hands,legs,arms a sign of tramadol withdrawal?

so i have been an insomniac most of my adult life,well a few months back dh was prescribed tramadol for pain,he never took them since he couldnt tolerate the effects.so about 6 weeks or so ago i started taking 50 mg a night and boy did it help me sleep!!also got a nice warm fuzzy feeling,the pills were running out so i very easily got some online.anyways now im taking 100mg a night.well two nights ago we had a family emergency and i was so tired when i finally got to bed i didnt take anything and thinking i could maybe keep this up i never took anything last night either till i realised i wasnt gonna be able to sleep.i had horrible twitching and restlessness particularly in my hands and arms,couldnt keep still at all........this went on for about 2 hours,i couldnt stand it anymore so i got up and took a pill,2 hours later im back in bed and sleeping like a baby.is this classic withdrawal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
    Mecan
    (male)

Mecan HB User
    Re: is restless hands,legs,arms a sign of tramadol withdrawal?

oh yea. just the start of it if it were oxy/perc style, im unsure about tramadol but think its kinda similar probably less drastic. its a process too, im 14 days off them myself and feel like new. are you planning to quit ?

Old 07-20-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
    nicolette36
    (female)

nicolette36 HB User

i would like to but i have a ton of stuff going on at home and i admit that little hit at the end of the night is a nice break from lifes problems,im sure youve all heard it before...........

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
    Mecan
    (male)

Mecan HB User

trust me your ton of stuff will be a half a ton off the stuff. ive been 2 weeks clean and this past weekend i have had more energy thought clearer and got so much done i even surprised myself. you the one that has to make up your mind tho

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
    Anita M
    (female)

Anita M HB User

If I were you I'd quit taking tramadol immediately. I am a huge pill popper, you could say. I have taken everything from Vicodin, Lortab, tramadol, you name it, as long as it gives me a buzz, I've probably taken it.

The restlessness is definatly from withdrawls. I have never experienced withdrawl from any other pain killer except for Tramadol. The withdrawals are horrible. Restless body syndrome, I call it, and it is the worst ever.

<removed>

You should be very aware that Tramadol IS very addictive, no matter what they say. I have had several grand mal seizures while taking Tramadol, and I still am having a hard time kicking the habit.

<removed>

I know that this drug can kill me, and I am not suicidal, but like I said, this drug is the devil and I would advise anyone to stay away from this med!!!!! The pleasure I feel from this drug has taken over my mind, and please STAY AWAY!!!!!! I wish I had never taken it in the first place.

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-31-2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Please do not go into detail about drug abuse.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
    nicolette36
    (female)

nicolette36 HB User

thankyou for being so honest!how do you get out of the mindset where you need to feel numbed??

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Nicolette

Welcome to the board.

I was really taken with your question about how we get to the mindset that we need to feel numbed. I know how it happened with me, and gently, I think it is starting for you also.

that little hit at the end of the night is a nice break from lifes problems,

That is how it starts... we cross a line from using the drug from its intended purpose to using it to block out life issues. Tramadol is not meant to block out life issues. What starts as a sleep aid can so easily lead to using a bit during the day when we are stressed out and want to escape the stress a bit. Then it can escalate so quickly that we become more worried about escaping life than living it. It is a very fine line between dependence on drugs for true medical issues and addiction to drugs.

Mecan had some wise words for you... the effects of the Tramadol and the worry about withdrawal will make the problems in your life grow expotentially. When we have 'too much stuff going on' to begin to withdraw from the drugs, then the drugs have become a bigger problem in our life than any other issue.

I initially used pain killers for very legitimate reasons. I was suffering with a lot of pain from multiple surgeries. After many months of recovery from the surgeries, I went back to work. Then my use increased to help deal with added pain from working. I hid from the pain signals my brain gave me with the drugs. Hiding from them allowed me to work. Work caused more injury to the initial pain sites so when I got home from work, I took more pills to ease the pain and to sleep. It became an ever-increasing cycle until I finally broke down mentally, physically and spiritually. And as the break down progressed, I took even more pills to hide from it. Finally, finaly, I reached a do or die point and began the process of withdrawal.

My story was a drastic one, but it does not have to be yours.

When we use someone else's presciptions, when we buy drugs online, when we start increasing the mgs of our dose,there is certainly something amiss. What starts off in a way we think is innocent begins to turn us around in our thinking. We begin self-medicating, prescibing for ourselves and addiction begins to get us in its grasp.

Ideally, I would suggest to you to see a doctor and just tell the truth. It is so not a new story. Being totally upfront with a doctor allows the best treatment for us. Doctors can only work best for us with ful disclosure. For me, I have learned that sucking up the embarrassment of telling our story to a doctor is so much less stuffing down all the emotion and worry from a secret addiction problem. When we get past that embarrassing moment, we can begin to move on and actively get off the drug.

Wishing you all the best
    reach

Closed Thread