It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Afrin addiction....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
    steff87
    (female)

steff87 HB User
    Afrin addiction....

I am a 21 year old female and I have been on Afrin since I was 15. I used to go through 2 bottles a week, but I've cut down since I was 17 and now use 1 bottle for 2 weeks unless I have a cold. This happened because I switched from the brand name to the generic. I've been wanting to quit for years now but I have chronic stuffed nose, allergies, and when my nose is stuffed I get nauseous. I am also an emetaphobe (I have a severe phobia of vomiting) so clearly being nauseous is like death to me. I also get sick an awful lot throughout the year. For instance since the middle of June I've had 2 bouts of the flu and a cold, which I have now. My membranes are suffering greatly. Any little thing makes my nose burn, such as Oust or Febreze and I get nose bleeds at least three times a week. I went to a dr about this in January 2007 and all he said was 'get off it or your nose will be permanently damaged if it's not already and once you get off it I'll help you.' He never told me how to get off it. Any suggestions on how to get off this awful stuff without being stuffed? Oh and another question, when you get a cold does the Afrin work as well for you as it does without a cold?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
    loopman
    (male)

loopman HB User
    Re: Afrin addiction....

Steff,

I am right there with you, except mine is with Vicks. I kicked it once 25 to 30 years ago and I started back up a couple of years ago. It seem like it started back when we got a house cat. My wife is on it to. I do know in the past, my father was hooked on 4-way nasal spray and a Dr. gave him some RX spray to get him off. I had a person reccommend some OTC nasal allergy spray but I don't remember the name. She said her daughter used it instead of the nasal spray and eventually she got off it. If I come across the name, I will let you know.

Take Care,
    Loop

Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
    steff87
    (female)

steff87 HB User

Loop,

Thank you! I was on Vicks before the Afrin and when I got a cold, the Vicks didn't do anything because I was on it for a year so I switched to Afrin and have been on that ever since. Getting off the Vicks wasn't that hard because the Afrin was keeping my nose clear. I did try going cold turkey many times to no avail. It is a pain to get off of, both of them. Good luck to you and your wife.

Steff

Old 07-31-2008, 05:09 AM   #4
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Steff

Just wanted to share with you that my brother-in-law also became addicted to Afrin. Started with a bad cold and somehow he was still using it a year later.

His wife called the family doctor and simply stated that Hubby was addicted to Afrin and needed to see the doctor. He went in and no one blinked an eye or seemed shocked about it. The doctor gave him something... I have no idea what, but he was off the Afrin and fine within a couple of weeks.

See another doctor, in my opinion, and be blunt... "I can not get off this Afrin without some help and I want off." Personally, I would see an ear, nose and throat doctor as they will probably be more familiar with this type of problem.

In the meantime, try using fewer 'squirts' each time and stretching the time between doses more and more. Tapering with pills, we cut the amount of pills and start stretching the time between doses. Seems to me that tapering from a spray would work the same way.

Wishing you well
    reach

Old 08-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
    legallyblondied
    Veteran
    (female)

legallyblondied HB User

Replace the afrin with saline solution nasal spray...there is
    generic or ocean but it will take a little time but the saline
    solution will open up and flush out the nasal passages and
    heal them at the same time...for you,since your nasal linings
    are so raw, it may burn but it is better than continuing using
    Afrin which just creates rebound congestion and it gets worse
    and worse....nasal saline solution is the way to go . it worked
    for me and finally for my husband who was an Afrin junkie.
    Karen

Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
    steff87
    (female)

steff87 HB User

Thank you all...excellent suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to suggest something

Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
    pizzzzza
    (male)

pizzzzza HB User

I can also relate to the Afrin.

It's a miracle relief, in my opinion - it NEVER fails whenever I have severe congestion from my allergies.

But like everyone says, it IS addictive and can cause congestion rebound big time!

I strongly urge irrigating your sinus cavity with distilled water and saline solution (kosher salt/baking soda) daily - it DOES work to prevent infections, and keep the sinuses clear.

Mark

Old 12-11-2008, 07:41 AM   #8
    jonspock
    (male)

jonspock HB User

I am hooked on afrin but I have to quit. I think it will be better to stop one nostral at a time so my head does not feel like it will explode. Wish me luck!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Well, I don't have much advice for you besides that I too think you should see another doctor.. If yours is not willing to help.. Someone out there will!

Good luck with this.. sounds like you do need to make a change since your nose could be permanently damaged. You really don't want that! When you are older and your husband brings you home flowers.. you will want to smell them.. Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~Secrets

Closed Thread