It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Confused about withdrawl from Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
    cathy1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cathy1 HB Usercathy1 HB User
    Confused about withdrawl from Xanax

I had been taking Xanax .25 at night for over a couple years for insomnia and about a year ago I just stopped taking them... no withdrawl... nothing... (me not thinking that .25 was that much so I just stopped and never thought about if I was doing myself harm by just stopping). Now I'm having trouble sleeping again and started taking .25 every night for a week.. then every other night.. then as needed... sometimes I don't take any for a week at a time. I've read that .25 can cause severe withdrawl and I'm wondering why I never did.. but as to not play with fire... whats the guidelines on taking this stuff... do I cut down by 1/2... 1/4... ? and what happens when I need it for a week straight.. have I put myself in "withdrawl danger" when I stop? I ask only because simply I was maybe "lucky" last time and didn't have a major problem .. who knows what could happen this time. Is .25 alot once a day? Do some people simply not have withdrawl symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
    bill77
    (male)

bill77 HB User
    Re: Confused about withdrawl from Xanax

If memory serves me the half life is 6 - 12 hours. If with your body it is towards the quicker elimination, you are going thru a mini withdrawal every day. should you start taking larger doses or more frequent doses you will become addicted. some people handle the withdrawal very easily. This is all a guess - any one out there more versed in the drug?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
    Sherbear38
    (female)

Sherbear38 HB User

Hi Cathy - I do know this, ONE .25mg Xanax is NOT a lot. It is the smallest dose, without cutting it in half, that they make. So many people with anxiety take 3 xanax a day, and usually at .5 mgs or more. How addictive it is, I don't know. I myself, used to take it several years ago, 3 times a day, for about 3 months. Went off cold turkey because of insurance... but had no withdrawals.... sherbear38

Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
    trophywifenomor
    (female)

trophywifenomor HB User

Hi cathy, I too take xanax, but mine is prescribed .5mg up to 3x daily as needed for anxiety. I rarely take it during the day, but I do find myself taking it at night to sleep sometimes. I have not had a problem taking it when I need it and then stopping it altogether, even if I take it every night for weeks at a time. Maybe our bodies are just different, but I wouldn't think the dose you are taking would cause withdrawals. I am no expert on this, but I did want to share my experience. Good luck to you!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
    ashamed101
    (female)

ashamed101 HB User

I agree with Sherbear and Trophy...I wouldn't think that tiny amount would be causing w/d.

If you take it only when needed, and stay with the recommended dose, I think you should be fine. Have you tried a natural alternative such as valerian root? Just a suggestion.

Good luck to you! Sleep well.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
    Bren77
    (female)

Bren77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cathy1 View Post
    I had been taking Xanax .25 at night for over a couple years for insomnia and about a year ago I just stopped taking them... no withdrawl... nothing... (me not thinking that .25 was that much so I just stopped and never thought about if I was doing myself harm by just stopping). Now I'm having trouble sleeping again and started taking .25 every night for a week.. then every other night.. then as needed... sometimes I don't take any for a week at a time. I've read that .25 can cause severe withdrawl and I'm wondering why I never did.. but as to not play with fire... whats the guidelines on taking this stuff... do I cut down by 1/2... 1/4... ? and what happens when I need it for a week straight.. have I put myself in "withdrawl danger" when I stop? I ask only because simply I was maybe "lucky" last time and didn't have a major problem .. who knows what could happen this time. Is .25 alot once a day? Do some people simply not have withdrawl symptoms?
    .25mg is lowest dosage of Xanax. Since you're taking it 1x day, as I did, there should be no problem/addiction. I take 1 or 2 (.25mg) sometimes for sleep.
    It doesn't always help my insomnia.

Closed Thread