It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I have 5 months of Sobriety today!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
    TomsWife
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TomsWife HB User
    Wink I have 5 months of Sobriety today!

Wow! FIVE months. I have never gone this far without alcohol for over 30 years. At the end, I was drinking 1.5 liters of straight up whiskey every two days. I was killing myself. My home life was a mess, couldnt keep a job and had zero friends. I cared for nobody, nothing, nada.
    Today, I am a working member of society, my home is clean, my husband is trusting me and I have my self esteem back. I care about people and how they are doing. I have friends.
    I was sick and tired of drinking. I knew I could not stop by myself. I went to AA, got a sponsor, go to meetings, have a home group and do service work. If your not familiar with AA, all of this may sound like a lot of work. It is. But you know what? I did a lot of hard work drinking. Trying to keep my lies straight, stealing time, emotions and relationships with my family. I was sneaking into liquor stores and hiding the bottles. I was worrying about my liver that throbbed every day. I was juggeling money and manipulating everyone.
    I'm not that person today. My worst day in recovery is a million times better than my best day drunk. At the end of my drinking, there were no good days. I was a prisoner to the bottle. Not today. Today I am happy, joyous and free. Not to mention, safe sane and sober.
    You can be too. Make a decision. Make a plan. Ask for help. Take action. You dont have to live like this anymore. There are millions of people in recovery and there is always room for more. There are tons of people that want to help you.
    What do you have to loose when there is so much to gain?

Marilyn

Last edited by TomsWife; 08-07-2008 at 08:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
    ohiogal
    (female)

ohiogal HB User
    Re: I have 5 months of Sobriety today!

Hello and congratulations on 5 months clean time. Wow is right. Your post is very inspiring and full of hope for those of us still struggling. You sound great so be so proud of yourself because I am and I know that everyone that reads your post will be also. Keep spreading the word because it just may sink in to someone who reads it. So congratulations again for being clean, happy, joyous and free.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Congratulations Marilyn,

I'm so proud of you! You are an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your clean time

Love and hugs,
    emsmom

Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM   #4
    dorskin
    (male)

dorskin HB User

5 months is AWESOME!! Way to go. I hope to be right where you are in 2mo. I am at 90 days clean today and I feel great.

Feel proud TomsWife, you are doing great

d

Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #5
    trophywifenomor
    (female)

trophywifenomor HB User

Congratulations Marilyn! That is great! It sounds similar to how I was. A while back I was drinking a liter of vodka a day and hiding it. No one knew, not even my husband, then eventually he found out. He found the hidden bottles, I would come home stumbling drunk into the house. I can't believe I let my boys see me that way! Then I found the courage to stop - completely on my own.

But then I got on the pills. It seems I have been addicted to something off and on for about 15 years, whether it's diet pills like ephedra, alcohol, or pain pills. It goes back and forth and in between there are months of sobriety and at one point two whole years. I did it all by myself I have never gone to AA or NA. Now I'm facing it all again. When I quit the drinking it was really not that hard, I just stopped. I had been doing it for two years. Now I am 5 days off Norco and last week I had two drinks at a business meeting. When I go out for dinner I occassionally have a glass of wine and it has been fine. Now that I'm off the pills I feel like I want something and today I'm facing major temptation at a reception at work.

Thanks to your post and support from others I'm going to stay away from the alcohol today and stay clean and sober. I can do this! You are a great inspiration. Forgive me for spilling my story on your thread. But thank you so much for your story!!!

Congratulations again and HUGS to you!!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Congratulations! Keep believing in yourself and keep us posted.

cram315

Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
    ashamed101
    (female)

ashamed101 HB User

Another great big 'congratulations'!!!! Be proud of yourself! We are here on the boards. You've turned your life around and have been given a second chance.

Hugs,

Closed Thread