It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• addicted to vicoprofen, someone please help!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
    strawberry628
    (female)

strawberry628 HB User
    Unhappy addicted to vicoprofen, someone please help!!!!!

2 years ago i went to my doctor with an excruciating toothache. I just needed something to hold me over until I got to the dentist 2 days later. I was prescribed vicoprofen. when i first took it the pain vanished within minutes. For some unexplained reason the vicoprofen made me feel like the happiest person in the world. I suffered on and off from depression and when I took the medication it made me feel happy. I went back to my doctor 2 weeks later when the medication was finished and told him my tooth was still bothering me and the medication helped me. He prescribed it for me again and ever since then I was hooked. After always coming up with some excuse for needing the medication my doctor stopped prescribing it to me. I did the unthinkable, I have never done in thing in my life that was dishonest except seeing a married man, I stole a script from a doctor a wrote a prescription for vicoprofen. I didnt even know how to write it but I tried any way. Guess what I got caught, the pharmacy called the doctor because their was a mistake on the prescription. I was so ashamed, not to mention i could have went to jail, I have never even been inside of a police precint never mind to be in jail. I knew a pharmacist who was a friend of my family. I went to him with some sob story about loosing my prescription and she gave me a couple. I felt like dog poop because I realized i had a serious problem. I dont know where to turn or what to do about getting clean from this addiction to vicoprofen. I have no insurance and not much money. The with drawal sympton are virtually unbearable. I am just now understanding what a heroin addict or hard drug addict must feel when the can not get their fix. I never dreamed that i would find my self in such a predicament. I am lonely and afraid. Someone please help me understand what is ahead of me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
    jacritch
    (female)

jacritch HB User
    Re: addicted to vicoprofen, someone please help!!!!!

Well I can tell you it is a ride from hell to be quite frank. I am on day two and not doing so well. All I can say is search deep w/in your soul and figure out what it is you need to do to stay off the pills. Be willing to do whatever it takes to get off when you are ready. Don't go get that next script...go to a meeting. I have refills on mine and I can't refill them because I do not want to ever go through this again. I went through my first day and today I am not going to drink or drug. Life is so worth living w/o living in a fog. As you can tell, this is not my first time going off the drugs. It is the first time in my life at 46 to mix drinking, pot, and pills together. I dulled my pain...now I am feeling it and it's tough to deal w/. I wish you the best...you can do this...we can do this together.

Judy

The following user gives a hug of support to jacritch:
    far removed (12-16-2010)
    Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
    kt529
    (female)

kt529 HB User

hi, i can sooo relate to how you got hooked because the exact same thing happened to me! i was hooked on pain pills for about a year before i finally decided to get help. i'm coming up on 30 days sober and the jouney has been eye-opening, painful, but also incredible. i also took pills because they freed me from my depression--at least for a little while. can you research your area to find out where a recovery center is? the first step is asking for help. i was really hesitant to reach out, but trust me theres no way to do this on your own. find a treatment center and just set up an appt. to talk to someone--its not committing yourself to anything other than assessing your problem.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
    strawberry628
    (female)

strawberry628 HB User

Hi jacritch,

I was so happy to see that you replied to me. Well I am down to only 2 pills left, which will last me only 8 hours. I am so afraid of the w/d symptons that it actually makes me cry. I know I have to do this but dont know how. I have surf the net or call my local hospital or clinic to see If there is a program that I can get clean but in the mean time how do I handle the w/d symptoms. I seems as if i cant even function and do normal things like make my bed, have a great shower and go outside. Jac, what is happening to me? I want to stop taking these pills but I dont think I can do it cold turkey. What can i do, any suggestions. I dont have insurance.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-04-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: removed quote

The following user gives a hug of support to strawberry628:
    far removed (12-16-2010)
    Old 09-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
    fiesty2
    (female)

fiesty2 HB User

Strawberry, I feel your pain because like you I am addicted to lorcet and have been taking them more than 10yrs. I don't have insurance either and I have went ct many times because I ran out. This time I really want to quit and be free of this demon called lorcet. I am trying to taper off and it is hard, while doing this I have ran out and managed to get a few more, now I am out but I had managed to get myself way down on the number of pills I was taking. Wd's are pure torment, but with the desire you can get thru this, I am still in wd, but keep telling myself I am worth it and so are you. Take it by the minute and keep posting on this board. Telling someone you are addicted is the biggest step and I can't tell my family, but this board has been my life-line. I am a 55yr old grandmother and the shame almost eat me alive. Wd's are like the worst case of flu for most people and the mental part is terrible. Hang in there and fight like never before, I tell myself the same as I am telling you. You will be in my prayers, please keep posting it will help more than you can realize. LOL, Fiesty2

The following user gives a hug of support to fiesty2:
    far removed (12-16-2010)
    Old 09-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
    strawberry628
    (female)

strawberry628 HB User

hi fiesty,

Just like you, the shame is eating me alive. I cant tell my family because it will just become a round table talk. Instead of helping me they will only critize and past judgement on me. w/d is the worst thing I have ever experienced in my life. I want to stop taking these pill but the w/d is just a little more than I can bare. I would like to find an out patient treatment center that can help me to taper off so that I wont experience the w/d. Do you have any suggestions on what I should do. I live in the bronx, NY. I am down to my last 2 pills which will only last about 8 hours, tomorrow I am sure to be in hell not to mention the desperate mode. I am so tired of being afraid of w/d it makes me cry. I am sorry the day my doctor prescribed those pills to me. It had gotten so repetitive that he wont even see me anymore. You would think that he would realize that I had a problem but as I mentioned before I have no insurance and I use to pay him in cash. I dont think he could have written me any more prescriptions even if he wanted to for fear of the DEA asking him questions.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-04-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-04-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
    oldcow
    (male)

oldcow HB User

Hi strawberry628,
    Narcotic withdrawal takes about 7 to 10 days, but weakness, insomnia, and severe anxiety may last several months.
    To stay off Vicoprofin you will have to have a support system with accountability. You can't do it alone. A relapse may lead to your death !!
    <removed>

"This too will pass"--very usefull saying!

good luck !
    John g

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-04-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
    fiesty2
    (female)

fiesty2 HB User

Strawberry, As far as I know there is no way out of wd. Some people have used Subonex I have read on some posts, but if like me you no insurance they say the Sub is very expensive and can only get it in re-hab or from a Dr. and I don't know anything about it other than what I have read. Even with tapering it is hard because you are so tempted to take more than you should and I did it some if I got upset. There is a sticky where the moderators give you the rules about posting on here called Home Detox Plan, look at that I did and there are some suggestions, but this is something every addict goes thru with wd. Fear of wd was the main reason I kept going back to pills, now I know my fears aren't worth my life and my freedom of addiction. I wish I could tell you there is a easy way out, but there's not. You live in the bronx try to find a substance abuse meeting close or call AA, or try to get support from a friend. Please try to fight and not go back, that's what I'm doing and it's hard but I know it's worth it. I wish I could reach out and just hug you, that's what I needed, and I thank God I found this board. I am praying for you and remember your not alone in this fight, everyone on here has been thru this and their words of wisdom and caring has helped me so much. Remember I am fighting a 10yr addiction and I know I can't get thru this in a day or two. It took me awhile to get here and it will take time to get thru it. Please don't give up and keep posting. My husband is facing surgery tomorrow and I am fighting the urge to get pills but I'm not, I pray. I want to be there for him, I have to we have been married 35yrs, I pray someday I will be brave enough to tell him about this. It's my shame that's stopped me from telling him, I know he would stand by me, but right now I feel to ashamed. Sorry I started rambling but, I am very nervous. LOL, Fiesty2

Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
    strawberry628
    (female)

strawberry628 HB User

Hi old cow,

just the thought of 7 to 10 days worth of w/d makes me scared. I wish I was never prescribed these pills. I am literally at my computer in tears. I know this may sound like a cop out but I am a darn chicken. I was there was something I can take or a dr. can prescribe for me that will allow me to by pass w/d. I am at the point were I cant even seem to take a shower and start my day unless i take at least one. I am starting to wonder if this is normal. If not I am in more serious trouble than I thought. I think I can kick these pills only if I could just by pass the w/d. P.S I am new to the internet world so please excuse me if I make a few mistakes on how to post and reply.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-05-2008 at 02:45 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #10
    strawberry628
    (female)

strawberry628 HB User
    Talking Re: addicted to vicoprofen, someone please help!!!!!

hI, fiesty2,

I just wrote you almost a whole page but it seems as if I didnt reply or post it properly. I am new to the internet so please excuse me if I make a few mistakes on how to post and reply. Any how I wanted to thank you for your kind words of wisdom it makes me feel human again. I know there are some things that you cant say on this sight. Boy do i have some stories i want to share with you. I would have never imagined thats conversing with someone over the internet would help me to understand what I am going through. How could you go through this for such a lenghthy period of time. You have got to be one of the strongest people in the world or you are just one of gods real children. Heck I think you must be a little bit of both. Stay strong and keep posting. I find myself rushing home to hear what you have to say. hope everything goes well with your husbands surgery.

Last edited by strawberry628; 09-05-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
    fiesty2
    (female)

fiesty2 HB User

Strawberry, No I am not that strong of a person, I am an addict and not by choice but just like you because of pain. I had back surgery years ago,and before the surgery I was already eating pills like M&M's. I haven't been posting long either, started the end of August and found this site because I was searching for help I was at my rope's end. No one wakes up one morning and says, I want to be an addict, we all have our reasons and most of us are normal people, young and old like me. I was scared because I have been on hydros for so many years and when I would run out and go into wd's, it was the worst fear I ever had just knowing what was going to happen, like I said this is very hard for me now, but I want this to end and feel again. Like you it got to where I couldn't do anything without a pill in me. With the pills I was super Mom, wife and grandmother, the energy they gave me was the best, then after awhile I had to take more and more for the energy and pain relief. My family knows I take hydros but have no idea how many and how often. For me even if I didn't tell a lie, I still feel like the world's biggest liar, cheat and fake. I know now the pills are not worth my health and the way I was feeling. I am still wd and I hate it, as you can see I am still up at 3:30 am. I will find a way to take the pain and live with it. Please keep on keeping on and put your trust in God. I am praying for you, keep trying and posting and know we all have our downfalls in life. LOL, Fiesty2

Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #12
    strawberry628
    (female)

strawberry628 HB User

Hi fiesty2,

Its strawberry. did you note what time i was at the computer this morning. It is 10 in the morning here in NY. I went to bed around 4am with the help of unisom. How many days have you been going thru w/d. As for me I took a pill last night around 11pm and was up until 4am and didnt take another one until this morning at 9am. I have been trying to see how many hours i can go without taking the hydro. Have you ever found yourself counting how many pills you have left and how long the ones you have are going to last. Is this normal. Is this what most addicts go thru. Well I took one at 9am and because this is probably the longest time a didnt take the hydro (11pm-9am) I dont think this method is any good because 15 minutes after taking it this morning I got that happy euphoric feeling. How can I stop this thing. I feel like I can conquer my day today. I am a jerk. Imagine I have to take a pill to make me feel happy and do regular things that normal people do every day. I am trying to dose down I dont know if that is the right term, but I dont think that is good because the longer I wait to take the pill when I did take it this morning it gave me that happy feeling. I will be out of them today and have no way of getting anymore that I know of. w/d looms ahead, what on earth am I going to do. I am ready willing and able to quit this junk but I dont have a plan for the upcoming days. Can a at home detox ease the w/d symptom.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-05-2008 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply Button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
    fiesty2
    (female)

fiesty2 HB User

Strawberry, I have been pill free for 3 days. If you have that too good feeling so quick when you take a pill, try to take 1/2 and add another hour to the waiting, that's what I did when I ran out of pills. The wd is terrible, but like I said it is different for me this time because I chose to do this, this time and not because of running out. Yes I have counted pills for years, scared I would run out and how I would get more and start freaking out with fear. This time I have decided for myself I have to consider pills my worst enemy and hate them with everything in me and thank God it is working for me. They canceled my husband's surgery today because he is worse than the surgeon thought and gave him different meds and re-scheduled surgery for Sept. 19 and even with bad news I fought the pill demon, at one time I thought I just had to have a pill, but put it out of my mind and took it minute by minute. For years my husband and I have always been there for each other, I thought, but I realized I had put pills first for years, but not today and it was a wonderful feeling not to have the shame and disgust for myself I have had for years and I was there for him. You can do this, pray and fight with all you've got and I'm praying for you. Your will get thru wd, just don't give up and fight for your life. LOL, Fiesty2

Old 09-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
    fiesty2
    (female)

fiesty2 HB User

Strawberry, One more thing you are not a jerk! Also what worked best for me was to not count the hours, and try to get my mind off of it. Try to stop beating yourself up, all addicts that I know, and myself think they can't do anything without a pill in them. When your run out and start wd, keep telling yourself you can do this minute by minute and like someone told me this to shall pass. Keep hating the pills while your sick remember they did this to you and it's not worth it anymore and you don't want to go thru wd again, that's what I keep telling myself and look at the home detox sample sticky, I found some helpful things there, but nothing take it all away, I'm sorry, but it's true. Well I'm rambling again I know, but I think it helps to vent sometimes. I'm praying for you and please pray for me and every addict. LOL, Fiesty2

Old 09-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
    strawberry628
    (female)

strawberry628 HB User

hi, fiesty,

I am in hell. I am out 1 day now. I feel like every bone in my body is killing me. For once in about 2 years I am experiencing menstral cramps. I guess because of the vicoprofen I didnt feel it. I am sweating one minute and cold the next. It seem to even take alot out of me to get on the net. I feel weak, overly weak for some reason. It stinks. One day in and i feel like i cant cope, imaging 7 to 10 days. Merciful father how am I going to do it. I really start to believe that this w/d is more than the human body can indure. I started counseling on thursday and I told the counselor about the pills. He is going to help me to find a program or place where i can rid my body of this poison. running out and not having a plan is torture both to the brain and body. Having a psychological depence to something seems to be more easier than physical for me. I am off to my bedside to pray because I dont feel well. The only time I get a relief is when I am asleep and I cant even seem to do that.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-06-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: removed quote

Closed Thread