It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Why do doctors say Tramadol is not addictive

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User
    Why do doctors say Tramadol is not addictive

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have some questions. I am a chronic pain person and have realized I must take pain meds to function. My dad was an alcoholic and addiction runs in my family. I am very concerned about forming an addiction to narcotics, so I am taking Tramadol. I am reading TONS of info about it and from what I have read it is VERY addictive with horrible withdrawal effects? Why do doctors say it is not addictive? Even my pharmacist said it was not addictive? I don't get it. I've even read posts on this board about being addicted to Tramadol.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Why do doctors say Tramadol is not addictive

Hi

The doctors get their understanding from pharmaceutical reps who feed them what they are told by the manufacturer.

It takes a a lot of anectodal evidence from patients before a doctor can begin to understand the real properties of many drugs they prescribe in good faith. That's why all the lawsuits come about against drug manufacturers.

reach

Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
    kellibear
    (female)

kellibear HB User

it's true, the dr.s just believe the drug reps that give them free samples--sad, but true. i had a 9 year addiction to tramadol that caused 6 grand-mal seizures--it is extremely addictive and it also causes serotonin levels to go up so withdrawal is total hell. mentally and physically. drug companies lie thru their teeth because of greed! treatment centers are being flooded with tramadol addicts--it works on the opiate receptors just like a regular opiate. a pharmacist should know better--but i guess they don't care if they're selling the pills.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
    oldcow
    (male)

oldcow HB User

Hi,
    I don't really understand why they say it's not addicting. It is an opoid aginest of the
    morphine type. The literature warnes of addiction and withdrawal. The pharmacist
    probably saw that Ultram (tramadol) was a Rx only drug and not a controlled substance,
    thus non-addicting. The FDA classified it as a Rx only drug (my opinion this is wrong).
    The mft. possibly could have mislead the FDA into classifiing it that way, so it could market it as a "non-controlled substance". The Dr. should be familure with the product and the product literature warnes off addiction liability. Also, the patient has some responsibility in becoming addicted.
    Hope this helps.
    Take care
    JOhn g

Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 AM   #5
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

Thanks everyone for responding. You all just validated my feelings towards tramadol. I've read that Tramadol is harder to come off of then vicodin??? Is this true, or only for some? Addiction runs strong in my family and this is why i am asking this.

Last edited by 10sox; 09-12-2008 at 04:52 AM.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
    oldcow
    (male)

oldcow HB User

Hi 10sox,
    Difficulty in Withdrawing from opoids is in proportion to their potency (Normally). Vicodin (Hydrocodone & acetaminophen) is more potent as an
    opoid anlgesic than Tramadol (Ultram), thus it is more physically addicting.
    Psychological addiction can be subjective (individual), or variable. It can
    be unpredictable.
    So physical addiction to Vic. is more severe than Ultram addiction. But
    psych. addiction can vary considerably.

Take care
    John g

PS: it also depends on the length of addiction and amount taken, as well as
    many other factors.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
    holly74
    (female)

holly74 HB User

I was given tramadol for a pinched nerve in my neck right before my wedding. I had absolutely no psychological effects (as in, I didn't think twice about having run out of it). All of a sudden, about 12 hours later, I was going through absolute hell. It was my husband (then, fiance) who figured out it was withdrawal. It was HORRIBLE. And I hadn't even been taking a lot. I agree with the other posts in that since it's not considered a narcotic, doctors tell you it doesn't have a risk of dependency. Baloney.

Most people I've talked to about have said they got that crazy feeling of well-being from it, just like narcotic painkillers. It has, by far, been worse for me than anything I've ever taken. I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole ever again.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
    PattysPain
    (female)

PattysPain HB User

It is very addictive! Of all of meds I have ever taken, this is the ONE I CANNOT do without. I can't even seem to get on a lower amount of it! My mom is the same. If we miss a dose, it s a matter of only an hour or so before the w/d sets in. Makes you think you are going to lose your mind! The if that's not enough, the drug companies pulled the generic I was taking and replaced it with one that does absolutely NOTHING for me...it was as if I had stopped taking it suddenly. Now, I have to pay for the label which even with insurance is killing my pocket! More than anything, I want to be off of this med. I have an appt. with a new referral to Pain Management (finally!)next week. I have high hopes that he can help me transition to something else and leave Ultram in the past! My Advice: if you are not already on it, DO NOT start taking it. Ask for something else!

Old 09-13-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

Thank you all so much for your stories.

I only took the Tramadol for three days. Last dose was yesterday morning at 9am. By 9pm last night I had the worst headache. It came on sooo fast and I felt sick to my stomach. I really didn't think it could be from the Tramadol, but now I am wondering?? I am very sensative to some medications (had horrible rebound stomach/migraines from plain old advil)

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your stories. I have a good friend who has been taking Tramadol every day for almost a year and she wants to stop. I told her all your stories and told her to go see her doctor for guidance first.

Thanks again.
    10sox

Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
    resolution09
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

I just did a quick check on 3 websites regarding Tramadol. All three said it could be addictive, should not be used by anyone with any sort of addiction history and should not be used if you are taking any other drug including alcohol.

How could doctors and pharmacists not know this?

I'd print a few of these out and take them on your next visit to the doctor and find a new pharmacist. To me, that's scary. It's one thing to not know something obsure, but when 3 of 3 sites have it listed almost immediately in the info, something is wrong if it's not known by medical professionals.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
    katlin09
    Inactive
    (female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Just an observation, I think that there is some responsibilty to the patient, espcially someone with an addiction background to check any drug that might be prescribed to them to check out the side effects before they take it. Not all doctors are careless like this when they prescibe meds., I take roughly 12 medications a day and my doc always asks me if I've done research before he prescribes any new meds just in case he misses something.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
    oldcow
    (male)

oldcow HB User

Hi,
    The Dr. and pharmacist should have known tramadol is addicting, but oviously they didn't. The pharmacy should have given out a info. paper about the drug, or councilled and talkto the patient about the drug.
    Additionly, Addiction problems are in part the responsibility of the patient.
    John g

Old 09-17-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
    healthseeker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

healthseeker HB User

i have used it for years...i have fibromyalgia...it was explained to me that it is non-narcotic and that is why.

I have flare ups and have gone a very long time w/o needing it...so I have not felt addictin to it.

Just my experience...

Old 09-18-2008, 03:40 AM   #14
    benfan08
    (female)

benfan08 HB User

I agree with you completely, Holly74. I was prescribed Ultracet, with the generic being Tramadol/APAP, after I had neck surgery. I wanted off of the harder medications I was having to take before my surgery. My doctor told me the Ultracet was not narcotic and I was very happy to be off the others. When I got my pills filled and took the first dose, I called my doctor back and searched the internet over to see if they really were narcotic. I had the exact same feeling as your were describing. I've actually been taking them for a couple years now and they don't seem to affect me like that anymore. If I miss a few days of them though, when I start back, it is the same. I was really surprised because I wanted to get away from that feeling, yet I have tried about everything else non-narcotic and these are the only ones that help my pain.

Last edited by benfan08; 09-18-2008 at 03:44 AM. Reason: misspelled

Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #15
    kellig5
    (female)

kellig5 HB User
    Exclamation Re: Why do doctors say Tramadol is not addictive

I Will Be Glad To Let You Know That Tramadol Is Very Addictive. I Have Been On It For 4 Years I Was Put On It After A Couple Of Diff. Surger.ihad. It Has Been Hell Trying To Get Off Of Them I Couldnt Do It By Myself So I Went To A Methadone Clinic To Do It Now I Have Even A Bigger Prob. I Wish I Would Of Known What I No Now About Methadone Because I Would Of Never Went There!!!! Is Anyone Going Through Anything Like This I Feel So Alone!!!

Closed Thread