It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Abrupt Discontinuation of Amitryptiline

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
SD83
(male)

SD83 HB User
Abrupt Discontinuation of Amitryptiline

(Summary of a long-winded post: I want to abruptly discontinue amitryptiline use. Is this safe or ill-advised?)

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place, I feel this may qualify as "Recovery". If I'm in the wrong place, a mod can either move or delete this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I started amitryptiline treatment for fibromyalgia on 9/11/08. 25 mg per night. I felt no benefits from the drug, with only a minor side effect of dry mouth. Keep in mind, I am well aware that it takes time to build within your system to have positive effects.

On 9/30, they increased my dosage to 50 mg, which I continued taking when my supply of 25 exhausted. It has been 25 days now, and I am beginning to experience what I would describe as "horrifying" side effects. Besides that, I feel absolutely no positive effects from this drug at all.

My question is whether I can safely and abruptly quit this drug. To my understanding, it is not a good idea, but I cannot tolerate the side effects anymore. The dysphoria is so severe.

I had been given lexapro in the past, a drug they strictly warn about abrupt discontinuation. Against advice, I did quit lexapro abruptly, and experienced no side effects from stopping use. I realize that it is not a smart thing to do, but I was able to get away with it.

I'm just looking for input on amitryptiline and whether its safe to completely stop using it. Last night was my first night not taking any. I feel horrible today, but not near as horrible as I had while I was on it. I kindly appreciate any input anyone may have on this matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
SD83
(male)

SD83 HB User
Re: Abrupt Discontinuation of Amitryptiline

One week later, I am clean of amitryptiline. The only minor side effect I had from stopping so abruptly was slight nausea the day after. Besides that, my system handled the adjustment just fine.

I want to stress to all people out there that, most doctors do mean well, but do not let them use you as a test subject. Lexapro almost ended me, amitryptiline wasn't near as bad, but it was along the same lines.

Stay responsible, stay sensible, and stay safe. I don't want to tell anyone to mistrust doctors, but trust YOURSELF first and foremost. A doctor really can do serious damage to you.

Take care and best wishes.

Closed Thread