It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Suboxone Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
    billfisher01
    (male)

billfisher01 HB User
    Suboxone Questions

Well I have been on them for a couple days now, Yesterday I felt fantastic...Today, I had a naging headache all day long is this common? Also, I seem to be very screwed up with my sleep? I am up almost half the night! very strange, it just seems to have weird peaks and valleys I am noticing...One other thing and this may sound weird but, I have been a smoker for 21 years, suddenly on this suboxone , my cravings have started to go away for the cigs, I know this is fantastic just wondering if anyone had this happen! The taste of them really is awefull to me all of a sudden.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
    pingeye2
    (male)

pingeye2 HB User
    Re: Suboxone Questions

billfischer,

I am glad to hear that your appt. with the doctors went well and you have started on your suboxone program. The most common side effect of suboxone is headaches. I too have experienced headaches from suboxone. What has helped me with the headaches has been tylenol. I figured that percocet are combined with tylenol or acetiphanme sp? so I felt more comfortbale mixing suboxone with tylenol than say advil or aleve and also the tylenol seemed to eliminate the headaches that I have experienced, you should mention this to your doctor and see what he or she says might help with the headacehs, if you cannot get a hold of your doctor give the tylenol a try.

As for the trouble sleeping, that is also a common side effect of suboxone. My doctor prescribed a sleeping aid for me when I am taking suboxone, ambien. It was very helpful as the first week I began suboxone I had trouble sleeping so I got in touch with my dr. and she prescribed ambien and I no longer had trouble sleeping.

I dont want these side effects to discourage your use of suboxone. I know there is a lot of debate on this site but I belive the positives greatly outweigh the negatives when it comes to this medication and any side effects of that may occur are manageable. I wish you the best of luck and I just want to emphasize to keep an open dialogue with your doctor and discuss any and all problems that you may be experiencing.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
    gsutton25
    (male)

gsutton25 HB User

When I was put on Suboxone,which was about ten months ago it worked like a miracle drug I was in full withdrawal of oxycontin,which I was taking under Doctor's care for about three years. I never had a problem with it. It worked on me about 30-45 minutes
    after I took it. I slept good and and never had a headache from it. It totally stopped all of my withdrawal symptoms. It is the best med's that I have ever taken for the purpose that it was manufactured. I am still on subutex which is the same thing except it lacks the narcotic antagonist. This medicine suboxone is very good it helps people that are hooked on narcotics get off of them with little or no pain.

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-31-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
    billfisher01
    (male)

billfisher01 HB User

I want to be clear on one thing, Suboxone has definatly taken ALL my cravings away, no doubt about that. I was also hooked on Oxycontin and was doing 10- 20mg tabs a day! I have no desire now to take them, I plan on sticking this out! Thanks for the help

Old 11-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
    evaness
    (male)

evaness HB User

One point: make sure you're on an adequate dose. I was undermedicated (by choice--I didn't want to be on the drug) and was severely depressed for months. I finally got off and while still slightly depressed six weeks later, it's been manageable and I'm able to function halfway normally, as compared to before.

It seems like 8mg is the threshold dose, but everyone's different. I think the important thing is to have adequate buprenorphine blood levels so you don't experience too many highs and lows.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
    kellibear
    (female)

kellibear HB User

for me, the naloxone in the suboxone caused severe migraines--after my dr. switched me to subutex---the migraines stopped. many people are sensitive to the naloxone--headaches being the #1 complaint!

Closed Thread