It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

methodone withdrawal - sleeping problems

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
tuff times
(male)

tuff times HB User
methodone withdrawal - sleeping problems

I have been going through the exact same withdrawls. I am on DAY 16 & find the insomnia & leg termites to be the worst. I have tried everything as your husband has and nothing has seemed to help me either. I tried prescription ambien & didn't have much luck. I don't understand why I can't sleep at all. It would make things so much easier. I was on 200 mg. for 2 years for pain management. I quit cold turkey & have found this journey most miserable and torturous. I wouldn't reccomend this to anyone. Hot baths are about the only thing that helps. I find talking to others that are going through the same thing helpful because no one else can even begin to understand what this is like. If anyone has any helpful sleeping remedies, please share. I have read that sleeping can take up to 6 months to get back to normal.

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-06-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
Yossarian22
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User
Re: methodone withdrawal - sleeping problems

1st of all - you ARE doing brilliantly! 200mg is a hell of a lot of methadone to come of (how much did you reduce to before going cold turkey?)

It took me nearly 2 months - Hot water bottles & hot baths are the best. Try drinking tonic water - as the quinine is supposed to be good for spasms/cramps.

hang in there - it gets better - it just takes time.

it IS woth it though.

let us know how you are doing

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Secrets1983
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User

GREAT JOB!

Hang in there... The sleeplessness and jittery legs are the worst!!!! At least those two things were the hardest for me anyway! I could not sleep for ANYTHING! Finally my Dr. gave me xanax. Not sure why she decided to use that to get me to sleep at night... but that is what she did. It helped a little but I didn't get a full nights sleep until after the withdrawals were gone.

So stay strong! You have A LOT to be proud of! Getting of pills was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do... So GOOD FOR YOU!

You will be in my thoughts!
~Secrets

Old 02-12-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
ebird6
(female)

ebird6 HB User

hey i agree with the tonic water...anything with quinine and zinc works well...try even eating banannas...the potasium helps also. the most i have ever detoxed off of is 140...200...dang. warm baths and also heating pads work....i like using ucalyptus and lavender oil to soothe your muscles further...also epsome slat works. there is something called a hydroculator, which is a wet heating pad that you can get at a drug store. aslo, hot ice pads work good for me too. does it feel like you have a ton of energy in your legs and can't get it to stop? i used to feel that all the time and i would tighten up my calf muscles and it would be perfect relife for about 3 minutes at the most....but then i would kick and kick and kick untill i would feel like i was about to start screaming. if you can get someone to rub your calfs, that works pretty good for me. have you been detoxing at home? ive detoxed 4/5 times (one was rapid detox with an iv so i kind of dont count that), yet the last i was getting off of 90 mgs of methadone and 80 mgs of oxycodone together. that was one of the lowest dose combos i have ever been on. i have been taking methadone for 12 and a half almost 13 years. i am 24. if i can help, ive detoxed at home 2 of the times and been in 2 rehabs and that rapid detoxed once. i ended up abusing my meds because of my pain (but they have also unwillingly turned me into an addict)-& i have been on everything from tegratol, to ultram, to oxycodone as an experimental drug 4 years before it was allowed to the public. i was on this muscle relaxant that helped with my jittery legs and i cant remember the name right now....it started with a T i think....omg...i always know every med i have been on but whatever. let me know if you have anymore questions that i might be able to help with.

e

Closed Thread