It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

should an addict take one dose of pain medicine

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
memadrmr
(female)

memadrmr HB User
should an addict take one dose of pain medicine

should an addict take one dose of pain medicine for legitimate pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
StevieRayFan
Inactive
(male)

StevieRayFan HB User
Re: should an addict take one dose of pain medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by memadrmr View Post
I'm not an addict, but I have been wondering about this in the sense that I MAY become one. However, I can honestly tell you that each evening I try my very best to not take my Norco in the hope that I am making healing progress. The pain issue far outweighs the addict issue, in my book. I personally don't care what anyone says about it. I am not going to suffer needlessly, and I have suffered needlessly because of others opinions on the matter.

Choose the lesser of the two evils. I don;t know what medication you are talking about, or what your issue is. For many of us, the pain issue is the greater issue. I drank alcohol every weekend for 30 years. I've not had a drink for many months, and simply so not miss it one bit because frankly it makes me feel WORSE. Easy decision, that one.

All I can do is give you my opinion... I am no expert on medical issues. I probably should be taking the Norco 10 mil's, but I'm getting by on the 5's, so that's what I do.

I'm sure others will have better advice.

Good luck.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
Kathy90277
(female)

Kathy90277 HB User

Quote:
In my opinion under the guidance of a pain management doctor only. Addicts and recovering addicts have a much harder time when on prescription drugs for legit pain. I know only from experience because of a family member who is a recovering addict.

i hope it was ok to say that much. If you take your pain meds as directed, you should not have a problem and should not worry about becoming an addict etc. The problem arises when you start eating more pills than are prescribed.

Hope that helps-

Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
Tommy23
Inactive
(male)

Tommy23 HB User

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... THE ANSWER IS NO! That word pain is in the almost the same word as excuse. What kind of pain is it? Pain management, that word is like a worm on a fishing hook! Your going trough a test, i hope you pass it!!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
bigtom
Inactive
(male)

bigtom HB User

If you are an addict, you are incapable of determining legitimate pain, therefore, the short answer is no.
Quote:

Old 01-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Lotty667
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

I am sorry, but I have to disagree with bigtom and Tommy. I am a recovering addict and also have legit chronic pain issues. With the help of my 12 step sponsor, my physician and my family, I am able to take pain medication to alleviate my very real pain.

Being an addict doesn't render us incapable of determining, with the proper help and supervision, whether our pain is real or not. There may be times when pain meds are needed and with help I believe it is unreasonable to expect someone to suffer needlessly.

Just my opinion of course, but once a person is in recovery, we do regain proper thought processes and we are adults after all.

Liz

Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
stepbystep89
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I have to agree with lottyliz. As long as the pain meds are taken as prescribed for pain, yes, it is ok for an addict to take them.

Of course, be careful!

Step

Old 01-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
IZZY'SMOM
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

If I were an addict, I would be VERY offended by the posts here. Liz said it best. If you need it, you shouldnt have to suffer.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-03-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
mk7657
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User

An addict can take ANY medicine that is prescribed by a doctor. Being an addict just makes it more difficult to take addictive medicines responsibly.

The bottom line is that the peope who suffer with the disease of addiction are responsible for THEIR pain and THEIR recovery. Hopefully, they have recovered well enough to know that if they take addictive medicines, they run the risk that their disease will wake up. Smart addicts will put additional safety nets in place to keep this from happening. They will tell their doctors, their significant others, and any one else who will be involved with the medicine about the potential problems that may develop, about the warning signs of a relapse, about keeping the meds locked up and tightly controlled.

mk

Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
logalind
(female)

logalind HB User

Thanks for your posts. I have been battling with this issue myself. I have been in pain lately and am terrified to take anything stronger than an asprin. Even the Ibuprofen 600 scares me. I am so affraid to get addicted again. But your posts make sence. I can't tell at this point if my pain is real or in my head I am going to talk to my addiction doctor and ask her hopefully we can do something like cordazone for my knee pain. I took a shot before and it helped.

Yesterday I almost bought some vic's from a friend. I know this is not what I am suppose to do, I prayed on it and God took away the desire and the pain. I was grateful so maybe I am just wanting to use again. Gosh this is so hard but I am grateful to say I made it through with another day sober..... Keep me in your prayers.

Lori

Old 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
fiesty2
(female)

fiesty2 HB User

Memadrmr, You know that can be a tough decision. A couple of months into my recovery I broke my finger in 3 places while I was at the hospital with my husband and went down to the ER, this time I was honest with the ER doc and told him about my addiction to lorcets and he gave me enough to handle the pain, I knew I couldn't take the pain using Ibuprophen or Tylenol alone, the pain was horrific, so anyway I took them as prescribed for 2 days, but had to keep reminding myself about my problem and I didn't want to go down that road of wd again. I actually flushed what was left and that made me so proud of myself, that words can't explain. I hope this helps some, I'm not telling you what to do, just sharing my experience with you. May God bless you. LOL, Fiesty

Closed Thread