It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Alcohol withdrawel question..

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Secrets1983
Senior Veteran
(female)

Secrets1983 HB User
Alcohol withdrawel question..

Hey guys!

I was hoping some of you could answer a question for me... I have a family member who is an alcoholic and I am wondering what withdrawel symptoms an alcoholic would go thru if they quit cold turkey?

Any information would be helpful! It's my father that has the drinking problem. He drinks everyday after work. He probably drinks 6-12 beers a night. On weekends it's usually more. However, there are days when he does not drink at all.. Usually not more than one day passes that he doesn't drink... He does not get mean or anything like that... It does not affect him going to work.. His bills get paid but his health is starting to suffer now and I really want to try to help him with this issue. He has refused AA or anything like that.. Just wondering what he would go thru if he couldn't drink for a few days.

After years of this abuse on his liver it does concern me. I do understand addiction now a lot more after going thru all of this with my own addiction. A person can't force another person to do anything but I figure if I gain some more knowledge on this it would help.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
~Secrets

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
mk7657
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User
Re: Alcohol withdrawel question..

Alcohol detox is very dangerous! There is danger of a fatal seizure. Please don't let him stop on his own, cold turkey.

I would not recommend that he stop until he is under a doctor's care. Valium is commonly prescribed for alcohol detox.

Good luck Secrets. I know that you love him and would not want to lose him.

mk

Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Lotty667
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User
Re: Alcohol withdrawel question..

Not only is there a risk of seizures, but also hallucinations (visual and auditory). I had a friend who decide to quit drinking on her own and on her second day without any booze she started having hallucinations. She thought bugs were crawling all over her and she was seeing and hearing things that weren't there.

Alcohol withdrawl is extremely dangerous if not supervised by a professional. He would be best off detoxing in a medical setting if you can convince him to do so.

I hope that you are able to convince him of the need to quit drinking, but doing it in a responsible and safe manner. I am not trying to scare you, but I would hate to see you lose someone you care about.

Take care and you will both be in my prayers.

Liz

Closed Thread