It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

when to know that you've had enough

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
deskette
Inactive
(female)

deskette HB User
Unhappy when to know that you've had enough

the past 3 months, i have been pretty much having a blast. drinking and just going out with my friends ( i had gotten out of a relationship where i could never go out, so im taking full advantage of it now i suppose). i LOVE going out.. but im starting to think that maybe im over doing it. like i am getting out of control. even when i wouldnt out, i was at home drinking.
im not going out as much NOW, for example i use to be out probalby 4-5 days a week at least, now its like 2-3.
its pretty spread out now too... and im also not drinking at home every night like i had been. about 3 weeks ago, id be out from wednesday-saturday. straight shot. yet the past week i went out wednesday, friday then sunday.. anyways my point is. i feel like im doing something wrong by going out all the time. maybe because i wasnt used to the life style before? i havent even worked out in a month and its making me feel like such a lard & so unattractive, but i rather go out and drink then work out. maybe the phase has started to fall off or what i dont know. has anyone been through this? any ideas or just feedback would be nice. i love going out, but i feel like its so unhealthy. i mean, i used to work out everyday when i was with my ex, and i never went out.. now its like all this alcohol CANT be good for my body. although the past 2 weeks, i have down graded on my consumption i still feel a little concerned.
i guess i want to enjoy myself then im hoping i just get burnt out on the whole thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
waterlily28
(female)

waterlily28 HB User
Re: when to know that you've had enough

Going out drinking all the time can become a lifestyle. I was a bartender. But then drinking became a habit. Its sneeky like that. I needed to be out drinking to be able to put aside any worries I may have had. I was having fun, right, next thing you know, it felt so good, I never wanted to have any worries at all. I started keeping track of how may nights a week I would go out. Week by week I would say oh thats not so bad. Well, just for the fact that I was counting days on my calendar later let me know I was conserned about my drinking habits. There WAS a problem. I couldnt stop even tho I knew/felt I was doing something wrong.
Thank god I have been sober almost 2 years now.
So if you can feel good about working out and being healthy. Stick with that hey. A lot of people wish they could have that going for them. Dont go backwards, cuz my experience, once you do its hard to pick back up on healthy again. And if you ever want to score yourself another guy, healthy is WAY more attractive then drunk. Good Luck!

Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
deskette
Inactive
(female)

deskette HB User

yeah... Im not drinking like I was at the beginning. its nice to have a drink cause it makes me sleep better ya know. im just so bloated all the time & I didn't know if maybe I only felt like I was doing something wrong because I never really got to "experience" the life of being 21 because of a relationship. all I did was school, work & work out pretty much... and now I feel like by not working out for a month im like breaking the law. HAHA how lame is that! I can't imagine living the lifestyle.. that can be exhausting but ya never know what you get yourself into until its too late.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
BreathNoMore
(female)

BreathNoMore HB User

Hello!!! I was in a very similar situation this past year. I had just gotten out of a long term relationship where I had spent the last year or so living the same old routine: school, work, sleep, rinse and repeat. So when things finally ended with him and I, I lived it up. I was partying practically every night of the week. (literally 5 or 6 days a week.) At first I thought I had it under control, but then I realized I was partying for all the wrong reasons. I let the lifestyle overtake me: drinking, drugs, sex. I eventually fell into a deep depression and things only got worse from there. I'm glad that you are able to recognize this self destructive path for what it really is so early on and that you are wanting to make a positive change in your life. Because once you get in so deep, it's very, very hard to find your way. That is something to be very proud of.

Stay strong and Good Luck!!!

*~Krystal

Old 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #5
deskette
Inactive
(female)

deskette HB User

yeah... it is good that i realized the pattern. what i decided, since school is starting for me next week... this will be my last "out of control" week/weekend. saturday is going to be my deadline. after that day is when i dont drink during the week anymore- just work, schoolwork & working out. dont you love how the word "work" found its way into all 3 of those. HAHAHA. so anyways... thats what im going to do. usually during the school year im pretty motivated with those 3 things so in a way im kinda lookin forward to it. like i am looking forward to getting back into shape and accomplishing something besides a finished drink. HAHAHA.
thank you guys for your responses

Old 01-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
magpie1970
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

I think that you answered your own question when you asked it. When it gets to a point that you question if you are doing something in excess or have a problem with it, then you probably are.

You seem to be young and realize the consequences of things, so I would suggest getting back into your old routine, start working out again and feeling better about yourself.

Hope you have a great day today!

Closed Thread