It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Taper down on subutex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
    EasyCompany2445
    (male)

EasyCompany2445 HB User
    Taper down on subutex

I have been taking subutex for a long time, (about three years) due to a vicodin habit. I was able to taper down to very little and was just about to jump off the sub about three months ago. I began upping my dose again and I have to focus on tapering again. Tapering was not really uncomfortable and in fact it didn't really bother much at all.

My question is this, I think that the reason that my dosage went back up again is because of anxiety and stress. I moved from Southern California to Atlanta Georgia three months ago after living in California my whole life. I moved out here due to spouse's family and good job transfer. I believe that I am in culture shock right now. I get depressed very easy and am very irritable. I have heard that this can be signs of culture shock.

I hear that it is important to taper off of subutex slowly and I think that I can do it again. Can stress be the cause that I began to up my dosage. I find that when I take subutex it does kind of give a feeling of calmness occassionally.

Thank you,

Ryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #2
    DeliverMe
    (male)

DeliverMe HB User
    Re: Taper down on subutex

what has you Doc said about this?
    could be the lower the dose the more anxiety, depressed, irritable u get just like when u stop taking/ lowering MG of a narcotic? not sure,.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
    EasyCompany2445
    (male)

EasyCompany2445 HB User

I am not really sure because I had really tapered down to the point that I was taking the level of a grain of sand a couple of times a day and it didn't really seem to bother me. I think that some of the irritability is from moving across the country to a new home. But I'm not sure. My doctor was happy that I had tapered to so little and he is a big advocate of clonidine and gave me a bunch of it. He told me that clonidine has the same anti-anxiety properties as subutex and that should fill the gap nicely without being addictive.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
    g8trgrl15
    Veteran
    (female)

g8trgrl15 HB User

Hello Ryan, I am in a similar situation. I have been on suboxone for about 15 months now. I only take around 2mg a day, but it seems I cannot go any lower without the anxiety, etc. I am under a lot of stress as well. I have heard from a lot of experienced people on here that the only way to do it is slowly and alternate your doses. Best of luck

g8trgrl

Old 01-17-2009, 05:34 AM   #5
    telattt
    (male)

telattt HB User

I am on Sub and I have alot of anxiety along with OCD and depression. I find that when I take my sub it also gives me calming effect, and helps alot with my anxiety. I asked my doc about it and he said it will help my anxiety. Maybe you should stay on subutex a little longer until you are more comfortable in your current position. Just my opinion. Hope your doing well

Old 01-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
    EasyCompany2445
    (male)

EasyCompany2445 HB User

I am not really sure to make of this post. Is this a site for rehab or does it contain some information?

Ryan

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
    EasyCompany2445
    (male)

EasyCompany2445 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g8trgrl15 View Post
    Hello Ryan, I am in a similar situation. I have been on suboxone for about 15 months now. I only take around 2mg a day, but it seems I cannot go any lower without the anxiety, etc. I am under a lot of stress as well. I have heard from a lot of experienced people on here that the only way to do it is slowly and alternate your doses. Best of luck

g8trgrl

Hi how are you. I am sorry that you are battling O.C.D. and anxiety at the same time. I have a friend with OCD and I know that it can be very frustrating to deal with. It seems to me that OCD is kind of a anxiety condition too. But with regards to the subutex it seems to really work when it comes to anxiety more then anything I have ever tried and that includes exercise, booze, pills, meditation, you name it I have tried it, including vicodin.

People who don't suffer from anxiety disorders don't understand how difficult it can be and how much it interferes with one's life.

But with that aside I would like to handle my anxiety in a much more healthy way like excercise and meditation. I am pretty sure that when I settle into Atlanta a little more that I will be able to cut way down again and evetually get off of this stuff altogether. But my doctor doesn't seem to think that getting off of sub altogether is such a great idea. He thinks that if it helps with stress and anxiety that I should stay on a small dose in that it is not really going to hurt me.

I however think that it is time to start thinking about getting off of it completely, which I know I can eventually do on a taper regiment. It's not really that hard to do and I am the king of wimps when it comes to pain. I found tapering not hard nor painful at all.

Best to you,

Ryan

Closed Thread