It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• On day 3 of detox from Vicodin...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
    jmhin
    (female)

jmhin HB User
    On day 3 of detox from Vicodin...

and it goes without saying that it sucks

I was on Vicodin for neck pain for a year and a half - I knew a while ago that it had gone beyond a dependence, it was an addiction as well. Monday I took the last half of a pill that I had. I was on 3 (7.25mg) a day and it was spiraling, I knew I was headed for 4 and then 5 and then 6.

I didn't know about this board and I didn't set up a detox plan. Right now I'm drinking cranberry juice with green tea extract, taking Hyland's Nerve Tonic, Immodium and drinking water. Today has been by far the worst - the nausea, stomach pains, diarrhea, depression, joint pain - all of it has set in and I'm miserable. To top it off there's that little voice in the back of my head that tells me to just refill my prescription and this will all go away. It also tells me that I'll never be as happy without the pills - that I'm making everyone around me miserable.

Is there anything else I can take now to help? The depression is starting to get to me, worse even then the physical part I think. I suffer from anxiety issues as it is and I don't want it to get worse. I'm terrified of that. How much longer before this is over?

I feel alone - even though my husband and my mom and MIL have been beyond supportive, I still continue to feel alone.

Thanks for listening - Jaime

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User
    Re: On day 3 of detox from Vicodin...

Hi and welcome.

Clonidine, a blood pressure medicine, works wonders for the symptoms that you are experiencing. I still have some from my last detox and consider it a miracle pill. Get some from your doctor.

I admire your honesty and courage. Since the addiction was just starting to manifest itself and you caught it early, the detox won't be nearly as bad as it could be. Additionally, you won't need to go down the road that many addicts experience, a life of "Jails, institutions, or death!"

Good luck,

mk

Last edited by mk7657; 01-21-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Good Morning and Welcome!

I am sure this is the last place you want to be but you came to a GREAT place.

We ALL know exactly what you are going thru and YES.. IT SUCKS! However, you are on day 3 already and usually day 3 is the worst.. Day 4 is not fun either but after a few more days you are in the clear physically anyways. Mentally it will still take a lot of work but you are in the healing process now.

I really want to commend you for getting control of this early! It's impressive really! Most of us here didn't have that self control we should have to stop taking the pills before it got ugly! SO GOOD JOB!

Right now I know you feel terrible... Your body aches, your legs are probably beyond restless and mentally.... it's a pretty dark time. I remember going thru this and I swear it felt like it took an eternity to get better but one thing I can promise you is.. IT DOES! It gets WAY better! Yes, you are probably making everyone around you miserable.. I did when I was detoxing but in the long run the good you are doing now will WAY outway the bad....

All I can tell you is that you deserve to beat this and you CAN! Hang around here and we can all help get you thru this and give you encouragement! STAY STRONG! You are going to learn a lot about yourself in the weeks ahead and it's a lesson worth learning.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers! Hope you are hanging in there!
    ~Secrets

Old 01-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
    jmhin
    (female)

jmhin HB User

Thanks so much mk and Secrets - it really helps talking to those who understand.

Today was a bit better - I felt a little better, less nauseated although I still can't eat. I felt ok mentally until about an hour ago...now I feel like I'm coming down again and I hate it. I don't want to keep telling DH about it - I don't want to keep him stressed and worried, kwim?

I'm trying to set small goals for myself - I came off of this about 6 months ago for a week and then I went back to it. So, my goal is next Tuesday, that will make it a week and a day...seems silly I guess but it helps some.

I'm hoping I can get some more sleep tonight - I was up til' 3 am unable to sleep because of insomnia and stomach pain. Wish me luck, LOL!

If you have any tips or suggestions to help please send them my way. I know this is only going to get tougher mentally...

Last edited by jmhin; 01-22-2009 at 05:01 PM.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
    blambert57
    (female)

blambert57 HB User

I detoxed last week. Miserable. I was only on 2-3 Norcos a day for about 4 months but getting off them sucked. I totally understand how you are feeling. But....you...will...feel...better...soon ! I promise. The aches and pains, the depression, the insomnia...it will end. I just found out I have to have back surgery and I know I will be on pain meds again and it scares me. But I'm taking everyone's advice if I do detox hard again. Hang in there...it will be over soon. To be honest, it took me about 7 days to feel myself again...not to discourage you...but just so ya know. But I was 90% better by day 4. Every day will get better. We are pulling for you! Let us know how you are!

Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User

Those small goals that you are setting for yourself are a GREAT idea!

Sometimes a simple "just for today" goal works wonders for a guy like me. If I'm in a funk and craving, I'll tell myself, "Just for today, I will not use drugs. Tommorrow is another day and If I'm still in a funk, maybe I will use then. But today, I will not use." If tommorrow gets here and I still feel like using, then I'll try one more "just for today" goal. Before I know it, the craving is gone and I can enjoy my day filled with the pride of being clean and sober. After all, The cravings have come and gone, and I didn't relapse!

On my worst days, I will say the serenity prayer to myself everytime I feel the desire to take a pill. That can amount to a lot of prayers in one bad day, lol. If it keeps me clean, then I don't care how silly it might be. It's more important that I stay clean "just for today."

Good luck,

mk

Last edited by mk7657; 01-23-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar.

Closed Thread