It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I take 6 oxycontin pills a day . How to quit safely?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
    don 32
    (male)

don 32 HB User
    I take 6 oxycontin pills a day . How to quit safely?

I take 6 oxycontin pills a day . How to quit safely?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User
    Re: I take 6 oxycontin pills a day . How to quit safely?

Hello Don32 - Welcome to the group. This group has some wonderful, knowledgeable people in it.

A month and a half ago I was taking 6 Percocet pills myself. I slowly tapered down to just one pill a day in one month and I'm now trying to get down to zero. It's a hard battle, but you need to slowly taper down. That has been my problem is that I want to get off of this drug so bad, I'm too anxious and I have tapered too fast and I'm currently having withdrawal problems. I just bumped up my dose temporarily so that the withdrawals would go away and now I'm going to start tapering back down again more slowly.

Have you talked to your physician about getting off it?

Hope that helps you out. Ask questions here to get answers by people that have been through what you're experiencing now and will experience.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

I take 4, 5 or 6 15-mg Oxycontin pills per day. (Some days, I just don't keep track but I know it's at least 4 per day.) I used to split the pills and take about 10-12 mg. per dose....then lately I started taking the whole 15 mg. at once because the lower dose didn't get me the high I was seeking.

What I'm doing to taper (and this is completely unscientific) is to take .5 pill every two hours -- that's 7.5 mg. (First dose 11 AM and last dose around 1 AM.) Then, in a few days, I drag out the time to 2 hr. 15 mins. then 2 hr. 30 mins. Then, I cut one of the doses down to .25 pill (3.75 mg) and make the doses closer together for a few days; then I cut two of the doses down to .25 pill. With this close dosing schedule, I don't give myself enough time to go through withdrawals. My reduction has been no more than 7%. I haven't projected out any further than a few days, because it might be discouraging to see how long it will take to get completely off them. And if I'm discouraged, I might give up. So, I'll just continue the way I'm doing it. I am determined to see it through this time, because I feel I have no other choice. I am sick to death of my life revolving around pills.

Hope that helps....

Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
    brwneyedgrl08
    (female)

brwneyedgrl08 HB User

A great way to quit safely would be to seek professional help. Trying to detox yourself from oxycontin is a dangerous thing to try. A close girlfriend of mine was highly addicted to oxycontin, she was taking close to 10 pills a day.. she tried detoxing on her own and it did not work. She ended up seeking professional help from Recovery Connection Rehab Facility. They are lifesavers I swear, because my friend came out of there a changed woman, and she has been clean for close to 2 years now.. they have an amazing program, I would recommend them to anyone.

I wish you the best of luck...

Last edited by moderator2; 02-16-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Reading about Oxycontin I understand that it is a time released version of Oxycodone. Since I was on Oxycodone, I'm not completely sure about Oxycontin. You need to talk to a professional and maybe they can switch you to just the correct amount of Oxycodone and then start tapering you off of that, since it has a shorter half-life in the body.

Closed Thread