It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Need help getting off Suboxone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
    Sverige82
    (male)

Sverige82 HB User
    Need help getting off Suboxone

Hey All.

I've been on Suboxone for almost a year now. And 3 days ago, I just decided to stop. I was not feeling good about myself. Kind of shameful that I was using drugs I really didn't need.

And boy was that a bad move. This is the 4Th day without sub's and I feel Horrible.
    Anxiety attacks, insomnia, lack of motivation, sweating, yawning.. and my life is busy as hell, work from 9 AM - 8 PM. I am a general manager for a design center so as you can imagine, i deal with ALOT of people everyday.

The point is, I have no one to talk to, because I am so embarrassed. I am ashamed of myself for letting myself down to this hole. I'm trying so hard to deal with this but it's getting to the point where my girlfriend is getting struck by my lack of enthusiasm. And she doesn't even know what's going on, and as i said, I'm not man enough to tell her what I've become.

I really need someone to talk to about this, I don't believe in doctors and shrinks, they're in it for the money. The only people that can help me are the ones who are/have been in the same situation

So If anyone feels like I do, let me know, maybe we can go through this together.

Thanks for listening.

Arman

Last edited by mod85; 11-22-2011 at 07:23 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Sverige82
    kimkill (01-12-2011),Sleepless in RI (02-25-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
    shayeagle
    (female)

shayeagle HB User
    Re: Need help getting off Suboxone

arman
    i am currently in your situation, except my husband does know what i do and have been doing..ill break it down for ya..
    im a mom of 2 WONDERFUL kids, a four year old and an eight year old. they both have lots of activities almost every evening, and my husband works a more than full time job with a schedule that sounds like yours. So basically i do most of everything on my own, but he is very loving and understnding about my addiction. I myself am so sick and tired of being the way i am.
    Have you thought about talking with your sig other about your addiction? You would be surprised about how understanding loved ones can be about this type of stuff. my husband is the type who never even takes an asprin really, is dealing with tendonitis (sp??) in his elbow on his own..but when he found out about my problem he was surprisingly supportive of me.
    Anyways, my advice to you, right or not, is to get back on the suboxone, and taper with your doc. you might have some withdrawals, but im sure not nearly as bad as what you are going thru right now..
    wish me luck tho, im on my way to suboxone, to at least gain some of my life back!
    i wish you the best of luck on any pathh you take!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
    ANGELINMICHIGAN
    (female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

Sverige......I am so sorry to hear about your withdrawls from suboxone. I am 39 days sober from "suboxone". I have just been through a very rough time in my life with this. I have "chronic pain" in my shoulders, neck and head and in 2003 had a failed fusion surgery in my cervical spine and was told that I have fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, etc. My doc. had me several pain killers for years because of my chronic pain. I was taking Vicodin, Xanax, Oxycodin and Ambien. I didn't get high at all from these pills they only masked the pain about 40% but that was good. I decided after my body went into withdrawl for 6 months because my system or my pain needed more drugs than I was taking (my doc thought it was restless legs and put me on requip) that I was going to go off all pain medication and deal with the pain without narcotics. I went the "withdrawl clinic" route where they let you detox for 24 hrs on your own (which was absolute hell.....cold turkey) and then they give you suboxone. The suboxone calms you down almost immediately and you almost feel the same way you felt on the opiates. It makes you feel relaxed, a bit lathargic and a but fuzzy. I thought I was doing great. 7 days later they sent me home and I was so proud of myself that I had beaten the drugs......that was only the beginning, so I read after I got home, and got on the internet and these boards and actually read and talked to people about what "suboxone" really was. My "addictionologist" doctor had already starting tapering me down almost immediately after I got home. I was on 2mg two times a day and then almost immediately went on 1-2mg after a few weeks. I went to see him every two weeks for tapering and worked very closely with him. If I had tapered and didn't feel great after that two weeks then he would keep me at the same dosage. This went on until I finally tapered down to 1/2 a pill two weeks later to a 1/4, down to 1/8 and then finally 2 weeks at just "crumbs". I was starting to feel a lot more sluggish, having problems getting out of bed, just overall lazy and slow. The day after I went off of the "crumb" I was in "full blown withdrawl....it was hell"!!!! I was shaking, feverish, anxious, my legs wouldn't stay still, couldn't eat, and could not sleep for one single second. It was horrible. Upon reading more on these boards (TYPE SUBOXONE WITHDRAWLS IN THE SEARCH BAR ABOVE). You will see my story and lots of other stories. They are over a month old but you will find the information you need about what others have found out about suboxone. I know you are going through this now and I don't know what dosage you were on 'WHEN YOU STOPPED". You might have stopped way too soon. You need to taper off with the advice of your doctor.
    I don't want to scare anyone but they say taking "suboxone" you are just trading one drug for another and it may help you get off of the Opiates or whatever your DOC is but you are definitely going on another addictive drug. My withdrawls were bad (lasted at least 3 weeks maybe a bit more) and maybe others didn't have as bad of a withdrawl on the suboxone but I have seen too many people on here that haven't suffered just as bad with the sub.
    This is my opinion and I don't want anyone upset at me but I have just gone through this and it is still very fresh in my mind (and body) and now I am in Chronic Pain and have to find something that is not addictive to help with my pain.

If you have any other questions just ask.

Take care Lyn in Michigan

Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
    telattt
    (male)

telattt HB User

First off, congratulations on your sobriety. I definately do not think that you have just been taking another "drug". This "drug" has probably given you your life back, and you have not used street drugs since beginning the program. At least that's the plan with sub. I believe that sub is used to help you transition from a life of using, lying, cheating, and stealing to a life where you can be honest, trustworthy, and begina a new life. You definately cannot just jump off of suboxone. It needs to be a very slow taper. The taper could actually be done over a period of one year. And even then you will experience mild withdrawals, but nothing compared to the way you feel now. I too was in your shoes the first time I got clean. I though "why am I using another drug when I'm trying not to use drugs?", so I stopped abruptly from 12mg to nothing. I felt fine for 3 days, and then it hit me. I was in withdrawal for 2 months. Once I started to feel better I began to use again. When I looked back, the only time I could have any time of sobriety was when I was on suboxone. So I admitted myself back into detox, and began suboxone again realizing that sub was the reason for me being clean. You are not meant to be on it forever, It is simply to help you get used to a life without drugs. Once you have transitioned yourself, which you have, you must taper very slowly. It is not easy, but we are all here to help. Some do not agree with me here, but suboxone is not for them. It is for you, because you said you have been on it for a year, and I'm guessing you haven't used street drugs for that year. That means you have been clean! Yes you needed the help of suboxone, but some of us cannot do it on our own. Congratulations on your clean time! I believe you should get back on suboxone, and taper slowly, or else you may use again to help you with the withdrawals you are feeling. This is how many people relapse. I know I did. So please think of suboxone as helping you stay clean, not just another drug. I has helped you. Look where you are now i year later. Good luck, and my prayers are with you!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
    Sverige82
    (male)

Sverige82 HB User

ANGELINMICHIGAN, I have read your story, and everyone else's on these boards. That's one of the reason I decided to join. But my situation is no where near yours. You are truly an inspiration to us all. To gone through everything you have...I'm lacking words right now.

I did decide to go cold turkey because i believe that's the only way. No taper, no crumbs. This is my 5:th day now, sitting in my office with the door closed, trying to avoid people. Last night I went to bed at 11.30 P.M, my legs were feeling like a roller coaster, i finally managed to fall asleep around 3 only to wake up at 3.30, and i've been up since then. I'm colder than the weather in Siberia, I'm shaking faster than a wood pecker.

All I know is, I have never experienced withdrawals this bad - EVER.

9 hours to go...and off work i go..

Old 02-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
    Sverige82
    (male)

Sverige82 HB User

shayeagle, I have thought about talking to her, but I don't know. I think it's best if I do this on my own. Don't know how to explain it.

I need to do this, I have been through hell and back in my life, and I always managed to stand tall.

This time is no different, I will complete the withdrawal period, and once I start to feel normal again, I will share my experience with her.

I do not think you should go back on the sub shayeagle, I really don't. The drug is controlling you, It's all in your head, i believe that if you fight the craving, the pain will go away.

Best of luck to you shayeagle, no matter what path you choose, I hope it will give you a life you truly will love.

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-11-2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
    amed225
    (female)

amed225 HB User

keep up the good work arman. you can do it. stay strong and focused. a good workout, if you have the strength will help. once you get passed the really bad days exercise will help alot. that's another way to sweat it out and also build some muscle. i teach weight lifting so i had to make myself workout when i felt so bad, but pulled it off and now day 21 am feeling great. try taking benadryl, keep hydrated and look up the list on the beginning of this site for other things that help with detox. the sub withdrawal really sucks, it is much better to just taper from the DOC. stay strong, amed

Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
    Sverige82
    (male)

Sverige82 HB User

HI Amed! Thanks for your reply.

I rather not take any kind of drug, like i said, this is something that I need to do the natural way, just to prove to myself that I haven't hit rock bottom.

I have however thought about the gym, like i said in Secret's Post right under this one.
    Going to the gym and working out, and specially using the SAUNA i believe will do wonders. Just to be able to sweat out all the awful things that makes me feel this way is giving my a this wierd comforting tickle on my gut

Last edited by mod-anon; 02-11-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

HOW IN THE HECK DID I MISS THIS???? Once you responded to my thread I went to find you.... I don't know how I missed this one.... Well, now that I found you... LOOK OUT!!! I am a person who talks WAY too much!! haha

What an inspiration you are!!! 5 days cold turkey off suboxone?? HOLY SMOKES! You must be made of titanium!! hahahha Really though! Most people including myself would not have the strength to do it this way so good for you!

I am sorry you are feeling so aweful! I remember working thru my 3 weeks of withdrawal and it was TERRIBLE.. However, I tapered over 3 weeks and still suffered terribely so I don't know how you are holding up!!! And dealing with people is the worst!! I remember wanting to just hide under my desk the whole time.. It's not like I could take off work and say I had the flu for 3 weeks and neither can you I am sure! So.... lots of deep breaths and lost of posting will get you thru this.

I am really proud of you!!! Keep posting. You will for sure be in my thoughts and prayers!
    ~Secrets

Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
    Sverige82
    (male)

Sverige82 HB User

Day Six is coming and I do not look forward to it a bit.

To be honest, All day today I was just thinking about going home and just popping that cute little orange bottle like a Pringles potato chip and grab one of them.

But I did not, it's 9.00 P.M here in L.A, and I'm sitting here thinking about how to make it through tomorrow.
    I'm starting to think that going cold turkey was not the right choice. I've read almost every single threat and post about Suboxone, how everyone recommends taper. Maybe I should have, maybe not. If I make it through then I know it was the right choice, I'm just hoping I wont relapse, if I do, i will be very disappointed in myself.

I can't deal with is this weird feeling in my legs. feels like something inside my skin is moving around. And because of this I can't sleep, I can't even sit down for too long. It's kind of hard to explain. Feels like you are having a panic attack. This was something I did not expect. At All!
    Horrible horrible feeling. I'm sure I'm not the only one, so whoever is reading this, what did you do to ease the feeling?
    Man oh man am I counting the SECONDS until all of this BS will go away and I can become the Man I used to be.

Always proud
    Always Thoughtful
    Always think twice.
    Always Smart and quick in the most dangerous and nasty situations.
    Not a drug addict.
    Yes.. that day will come.

I have decided that I will go to the gym, use the sauna, get some blood flowing, and some sweat dripping. I'm almost positive it will give me strength to make it through this dark and evil path that I have chosen.

I was also thinking, how WEAK we really are, so so weak. We take ALL SORTS OF PILLS for ALL SORTS OF REASONS.
    This is wrong. For every small infection I.E, antibiotics. That's great, you got rid of the virus, now next time around, that same virus will walk through that door with an armored body suit on and the antibiotics will do nothing, because the virus has evolved and become IMMUNE. Well, that's fine, let's increase the dose, and on and on it goes, pill after pill.

I don't know why I posted this..as a matter of fact, i dont know anything right now. Just keep counting and counting until I start to feel normal again.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread, you all have been tremendous help and inspiration.

Last edited by Sverige82; 02-11-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 AM   #11
    ebird6
    (female)

ebird6 HB User

hey-

you are strong and that is very very admirable. i have a question though-
    i was on suboxen after detoxing from 11 and half years of methadone and even though i was only on it for a month...i didnt have the symptoms you did. do you know why that is?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
    ANGELINMICHIGAN
    (female)

ebird and Sverge....maybe you weren't on the suboxone long enough to feel the withdrawls that bad. You were very lucky. I was on it from Sept. 2 to Nov. 28 (I wasn't on it that long but it did take over my life after going off of it)tapering down to 1/8th of a 2mg pill and then to a crumb and after going off of it I went through terrible withdrawls for at least 3-4 weeks. I started settling down at approx. 3 1/2 weeks. Everyone's body is different and we all go through things differently. I think (and I could be wrong), once you go on the suboxone apparently the opiates are probably out of your system and you don't get the cravings for them anymore because the suboxone takes over in your brain and it is a "synthetic opiate" and it tricks your brain into thinking that you are still on opiates. I have also heard that if you take "opiates" when being on subxone that it can be dangerous!!!! So if you were only on it a short time that is probably why your withdrawls weren't so bad......This is only my opinion and some may not agree!!!! I would like to hear what everyone else thinks please. Read up on past posts. They may be old but still find them please and read up.

Take care all
    Lyn in Michigan

Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #13
    ANGELINMICHIGAN
    (female)

Sverge.....I just sent you some info on a post to you and e-bird. It might help you to read it and see how I understand what suboxone is and does.

I have been off (as you know) "suboxone" for 40 days today and am still in "chronic pain" and am working on that with my "neurologist", family doc and a pain management doc. Well I just want to say that suboxone withdrawls are not easy and you have to have a strong will and a strong mind and I know you have both. This is not going to be easy and this is my opinion only. I think first of all if you are serious about quitting then you need to get rid of your pills. Out of sight, out of mind. If you have some sitting around then you always have a back up plan. If you don't have any in the house or wherever then you know you have to be strong. I was told in the "withdrawl clinic" that my husband had to throw away all of my pills or put them somewhere where only he knew where they were!!!! That was one of the rules before they let me out and they talked to my family about it. If you are not telling anyone then you need to trust someone (outside the family) to take your pills away. I could be wrong that you don't have any in the house but when you said that you wanted to go home and open the orange bottle and take a pill that you might have some in the house.

I will tell you what I went through and what other people on the boards and the advice they gave me. I was told to eat "bananas" and drink V8 juice because they were full of "potassium" which would help with the "restless legs". There was some kind of juice, now I forget what the name of it was. Maybe you can find it on old board posts. It was also for jittery or restless legs. I found putting a heating pad on my legs helped a bit and also hot baths constantly day and night. Other people said to take Benadryl as I know you are not probably sleeping at all (their opinion not mine but it has helped a lot of people) Please check that out with someone else before you try that. I kept my mind busy and you are at work so that should keep you busy. Go for walks......check the old boards and also read at the top of the boards there is some help for withdrawl symptoms.
    I am sorry this post is getting long (what else is new). I hope I have helped. I am thinking about you and know you can do it.
    Take care of yourself and am wishing you a calm and peaceful day. It will take a while and everyone is different. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!. You will have the rest of your life to look forward to and it will be wonderful!!!!

Lyn

Old 02-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
    amed225
    (female)

amed225 HB User

hi, i keep my pills to remind me of what a nightmare they were. i would never take sub again in my life. if i had vicodin or hydrocodone then that might be different, thay made me feel great. the sub on the other hand didn't. everyone is different and different things work for all of us. i did hear the banana thing before and i also took benadryl. can't say how great they worked, still went thru some really bad days. but once they are over, and they will be over if you stay with your plan, you will feel great and will be very proud of yourself. like i said before if you have the strength go work out, or go to that sauna, do something to take your mind off of your suffering. hope you feel better soon, amed

Old 02-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
    logalind
    (female)

logalind HB User

Sverge:

First of all I want to congratulate you on your progress. Keep in mind just cuz we are addicts doesn't mean we are weak. Actually I have found some of us addicts are very intelligent and strong willed or else we wouldn't have survived in our addiction. I noticed that when I was in rehab, I also learned that we are people who are overly sensitive. When I was using I assisted the President of the Senate of the only Black University this side of the Mississippi. Others in rehab also had top level position in their companies while some were students etc. I just say this to remind you that we come from all walks of life. More importantly you are not WEAK you are strong that is why you are still fighting the good fight. I think going to the Gym is an excellent idea keep busy write read if you can. Just keep busy. I don't know if you would be interested in a 12 step meeting. I don't go to doctors or psychiatrist but going there helps me cuz I can vent and tt ppl who understand me and r going thru the same thing. You can also read up and research the disease of addiction. Cuz it is a disease one that goes into remission but, we are never cured. We can live a full life without using and it can stay in remission forever as long as we don't pick up that Drug.

Sorry going on an on I just needed to let you know some of the stuff I've learned. I have been sober for 4 months. For 2 years I have been off an on with some good lengths of time. For these last 4 months I have been completely and honestly sober and I have never been happier.... Good luck sweetheart and take care.

Love ya,
    Lori

Closed Thread