It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Change the way you think!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2009, 05:52 AM   #1
    subtrain
    (male)

subtrain HB User
    Change the way you think!

Addiction and drug dependency is a though life to choose. Most of the time we feel that we don't make the choice at all. It happens to us, right. We have tendencies others don't have. We are genetically prone to addiction. Our parent was an addict. Circumstances have put us there beyond our control. We've had a tough life or life has been too good. Reason after reason, the list can be custom made for each of us. But,.....the bottom line either has our signature or it doesn't. We choose! Do you sign on to it or do you choose not to sign?
    Yes, yes, yes, there are influences to how we make our choices. Like with any choice in life there are considerations to be made. So consider them. Look at the track record, listen to the stories and experiences of those who have chosen the life of addiction and dependency or those who have been close enough to experience and suffered with those who have chosen that life.
    In my life I know of no long live, happy, productive, enjoyable, pleasent, caring, addicts. I know former addicts who I would describe this way. Addiction and drug dependency removes all the good from your life. Sometimes slowly, sometimes fast. We are all different in this respect but, sooner or later the good is gone and if you wake up, or come to the realization of what the addiction is doing or has done to your life and the lives of those around you, then once again you have a decision to make! Do you continue this life of addiction and drug dependency or is it time to bring some goodness back into your life and the lives of those around you.
    If you are at that point in your life where you have looked at yourself, your life, the lives of those around you and that very first thought that comes to your mind is, "this sucks, I....need to change," .....well, you have taken the first step to changing the way you think. If you nurture the goodness of that first thought, run with it, plan from it, begin to build from it, your life will begin to change to be what you want it to be. It begins with your thoughts.
    We all have good thoughts and we all have bad thoughts. Have you ever had a thought where you could not believe you were thinking such a terrible thought? I have! The bad thought becomes even worst if we give it action.
    We make a choice with that bad thought as what to do with it. We can also make choice ahead of time to minimize bad thoughts. So,....what I'm getting at is this,....your an addict, me too. It is what you have been doing, me too. Your life has come to a point, mine too, where you are making a decision to continue to be dependent or not be dependent on drugs to bring happiness and joy into your life. One decision will bring about a life that is short live and miserable ,(drug addict generally do not live very long, the body and mind is designed for reletive purity and does not do well, for long, being contaminated.) the other decision can bring about a long and enduring life, filled with the grace of wonderful, continuous unimaginable experiences. Anything is possible! You make each and every choice. How much more could you ask for?
    Change your thoughts, change your actions and then you will experience the change in your life!
    Easy for you to say, right? Well, yes and no. I work at it every moment of my existence. What's amusing is that when I do it,... it is easy. When I don't do it, things become hard. The more I do it the easier it gets. Becomes second nature. Habit, sort of. (kind of like that second nature of or habit of taking that pill or that fix or that drink,...hum? that you expect will make things pleasent but, it doesn't at least not for long).
    My grandfather used to ask me when ever I had a difficult and arduous task to complete, a task that was going to take some endurance and focuss to succeed,.......he would ask, in his wise and amusing way, how do you eat an elephant? He would then wait patiently for my reply, in his steady as a rock demeaner,...one bite at a time Pop, one bite at a time, I would answer.
    Recovering from addiction and drug dependency is a long row to hoe, as the saying goes. It will begin with one thought and then that thought put into action. It will be followed by another thought and then another that you will choose to put into action or not to put into action. The whole process can be simplified and made easier if you take it one small bite at a time.
    It's working for me and I just wished to share what I know and have expeienced so that maybe you could figure out a way so that it would work for you also. Good luck and blessings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
    magpie1970
    (female)

magpie1970 HB User
    Re: Change the way you think!

Well, I have to concur. And, if you keep a positive attitude instead of complaining all the time things go a bit easier. We all have moments where we are just grouchy, but when it consumes you, you're not fun to be around and the tasks at hand are harder to do.

Buck up and deal with it. (in a nutshell, just my opinion)

Closed Thread