It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• new drug may stop all opiate wds symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User
    Thumbs up new drug may stop all opiate wds symptoms

good news to all my fellow opiate addicts out there,it seems a long time drug used for anti-nausea has shown great promise on relieving ALL opiate wds symptoms,this is the miracle pill us addicts have been waiting for.it really looks good at this time,first tested on mice and then tested on humans with herion addictons,it worked very will and went over their expectations.this could be the one we have all been waiting for people,finally being able to get off this crap without having to go thru the god awful wds.i think this drug will turn the corner for us chronic relapsers and finally get back to what life we have left.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 AM   #2
    Lugar22
    (female)

Lugar22 HB User
    Re: new drug may stop all opiate wds symptoms

WHAAAAT!!!! Please pm me the name of this drug so I can do some research. You say its already avaliable as an anti nausea drug...well Im sick right now. Wonder if I could get it on script? I know theres been other drugs looked at in the past but they havent delivered....could this be the one? Lets hope so,eh?!
    CC xox

Old 03-15-2009, 06:00 AM   #3
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

yes,its called ONDANSETRAN (ZOFRAN).you can do your own seach on it and see what im talkin about.i think this will be the future of fighting addicton.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 AM   #4
    noxid
    (male)

noxid HB User

Personally I am not impressed from journal article I read about using this 5-HT3 receptor antagonist until more research can be done. I have taken it for nausea and it did not work very well for me, but each person is different.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Thanks for the info spark Hopefully someone can benefit from your info.

emsmom

Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noxid View Post
    Personally I am not impressed from journal article I read about using this 5-HT3 receptor antagonist until more research can be done. I have taken it for nausea and it did not work very well for me, but each person is different.

yea but you didnt take it for opiate w/ds and you werent in w/ds when you took it so why should it work for you in that way.if it didnt stop the nausea then you needed a different drug.i think this may turn out to be something that will really help us in the long run,they are going to eventually find a pill that we can take that will take care of all the wds from opiates and it will be a non narcotic pill.all we will have to do is take the pill when w/d starts and take it for a couple of weeks and then detox will be over with.there are many drugs being trialed for this as we speak.no wds,i cant think of anything better than that.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Hey Spark,

I'm looking forward to getting more info on it. I'm in Canada - we tend to get new drugs alot later than you guys in the U.S. do.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing - You would be helping so many people if this all works out

emsmom

Old 03-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

This is very interesting and I do hope they are on to something here.

I am a chronic pain patient who went many months under-medicating myself due to the fear of addiction. It just doesn't seem fair that I must live with the dark-cloud named "withdrawal" hanging over my head each day.

I did take this drug while I was pregnant with my daughter 3 years ago. It wasn't a miracle drug, but it did take the edge off enough for me to function. Without it, I was dry-heaving all day long.

10sox

Old 03-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
    (male)

56789 HB User

i am also in chronic pain fibro 4 years ago .an most recently siatica. i used to say why should i suffer too . but have found the disadvantages outway the advatages of narcotics . i am trying alternatives i told my doctor unless im dying or i have a brocken leg not to give me narcotics .most doctors where i live dont give narcotics for chronic pain. other than my 2 accidents an recent siatica . my doctor would not give me pain killers for fibro . i am a chronic drunk who is sober now ,an i dont want to be a chronic pill taker. the new drug may help wd but the period of time that we take painkillers devowers our body .after just 2 months weakness tired most of the time. i thought that percs vics what ever it is was helping me sleep better .but no just sedating me for hours before real sleep comes . good luck to you

Old 03-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
    Catholic_dad
    (male)

Catholic_dad HB User

The comment that was made by the previous poster who said "I am not impressed" because he had Ondansetran administered and it didn't do anything is not taking into consideration the dosage and if what he took were therapeutic levels for wd's so his observation is not really significant. The fact is that there has been more then one experiment. When naloxone was administered to morphine dependent mice and humans actually causing wd's (naloxone is the drug in Suboxone which causes severe withdrawals to discourage abuse) the 5-HT3 receptor antagonist ondansetron significantly diminished withdrawals. It reduced 12 observable withdrawals signs in humans.

The experiment does not promise a miracle drug as one article says, "Therefore," they conclude, "treatment with 5-HT3 antagonists may provide part of the solution to significant public health problems associated with opioid use."

I don't think they are saying that it is going to completely eliminate all aspects of withdrawals but greatly diminish them. Which is fine, I will take that. To me it's kind of like comparing withdrawals to having a kidney stone and with this new drug taking it down to a common cold.

Last edited by Catholic_dad; 03-21-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
    magpie1970
    (female)

magpie1970 HB User

I think that there are pros and cons to having another pill/medication to take to help ease withdrawal symptoms.

Pro: you don't feel like poo for 3 or 4 days, you can function normally

Cons: since you don't experience the wd symsptoms for those few days, you may be more apt to use again since you didn't experience the downside

Personally, I think that you need to go through the wd's so that if you think of using again, you will remember what it was like to go without and how bad it was. Also, this is only a medication that will stop the symptoms of withdrawal, but if you are an abuser, there are reasons why you abuse opiates. You need to get into your head and find out why you use so that you don't repeat the behavior again.

Also, and this is just my opinion, I don't believe that one drug should substitute for another just to help ease your situation.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
    noxid
    (male)

noxid HB User

MagPie1970, well put. If I had not suffered symptoms I would not have gotten better. Trusty Clonidine and Darvon-N helped the unbearable.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
    10sox
    (female)

10sox HB User

For another perspective.....

I am a chronic pain patient who has to endure horrible withdrawals at times (medication changes...etc). I live in chronic pain EVERY SINGLE DAY and then add withdrawals to the mix....not a pretty picture.

I come to this board when I need help understanding what to expect from my medication withdrawals. You have all helped me sooo much.

I can understand about experiencing withdrawals and having that help an addiction....I really can. My dad was an alcoholic and he ended up in a rehab clinic once to detox. I remember how horrible that was, but I believe that was what helped him stop drinking.

10sox

Old 03-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #14
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

I have the same feelings as most previous posters. The pro's and con's on my list are the exact ones as magpie listed.

I know going thru that hell helps me stay clean! That is FORSURE! However, for some people who have a dependancy issue versus an addiction issue this may be something incredible. I think if I had a drug that could take away w/'s then I would be more apt to use because there would be less consequence. However, the other part of me wants to think I would still remain clean for the well being of myself. The pride I feel from it and the overall POWER to not let a bottle of pills control me.

I see both sides and honestly think it could be a miracle drug for a lot of people who's fear of quitting is the fear of what w/d are... HELL. So.. all in all. I can't make my mind up on this one.

Good topic!

Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
    spark-o-cet
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

spark-o-cet HB User

thanks for all the comments on this,guess we will wait and see,i really believe that one day there will be a pill that will take away any and all w/ds from opiates.it may not be in our lifetime but this would really help the chronic pain patients that dont have a deadly disease like cancer.suboxone is good but it is still not the answer we are looking for,sub still has w/ds at the end of it no matter what or how you do it.i wish they could approve a pill tomorrow that would eliminate all opiate w/ds symptoms and paws.but i think we are just dreaming,until then keep on keeping on,dont stop fighting the fight.-spark

Closed Thread