It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• What to do!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
    monistee
    (male)

monistee HB User
    What to do!

I need some advice. I've been taking methadone for five years. I was put on methadone for pain. My pain was from a disease called neurophty. It's a disease that affects a lot of diabetic patients. It causes a lot of pain in your feet and legs. It gets so bad! That sometimes I will try to walk a couple feet, and I will just start crying from the pain. A lot of times I have to hold onto the walls to help with my walking. I take a dose of methadone 150 mils twice-daily. The doses of methadone I would take, we're fine for four years. This last year has been HELL!

Neuropathy in my feet has been so bad, that I now have two broken feet! What has happened is my bones, in my feet started to crumble. My navicular bone in my feet is completely crumbled. The doctor figures it will eventually fuse together. He figures it might not be so painful then. He put me on oxycodone, and OxyContin to help with the pain. I use them for roughly 8 months. They didn't seem to work so good. Pharmacists said sometimes, certain drugs don't work that good with methadone. So what I did was stop taking them. And I started to save them for when I got off the methadone. Roughly 2 months ago I told my doctor, to put me on Dilaudid. I was told they were pretty good. I've been taking roughly 3 to 4 tablets 4 times a day. Then again, they don't seem to really work. It will help a little bit if I have a headache.

And this is where your advice comes in. I'm thinking strongly about withdrawing from the methadone. And once I start coming down, use the OxyContin, oxycodone, and the Dilaudid. And then eventually weaning off of those. I know I will probably be on painkillers for the rest of my life. It's just my pharmacist said, I'm on some pretty heavy-duty painkillers. What I want to know, is coming off of the methadone the best way to start. Your comments would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: What to do!

Monistee-
    I have neuropathy as well, and the pain is horrible. I'm really sorry you suffer so much pain.

The best advice I can give you is to please speak with your doctor about tapering/weaning you down from the methadone. This isn't something you want to do on your own without a doctors guidance & supervision. Please just talk with your doctor as I'm sure he/she can help you.

Take care & best wishes.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: What to do!

sorry to here about your pain .i have heard it is very hard to come off methadone . so i would do like the other person said an see what your md wants to do . i was told slow is good. this means with mathodone even slower .hope it works out for you .your in my prayers . scott

Old 04-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
    monistee
    (male)

monistee HB User

ozzybug- I want to thank you for your comments. Your absolutely right, I should let my doctor in on it. I just figured if I didn't let him know, might cut me off of everything. I've read a lot of stories on the boards. Where a lot of people were just cut off like that.

Is there anything you do for your neuropathy. Is there any medications that you take, for your neuropathy. If so could you please let me know if it works for you.

I really appreciate the time you took out to answer me. It means a lot!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
    monistee
    (male)

monistee HB User

56789-I've heard it's really tough to come off it. You and ozzybug are 100% right. I guess I will talk to my doctor, to see what he recommends. I know it will be a very slow withdrawal. But I think it's time to get off of it!

I hope once I start coming off of it. I hope I don't regret it. Having neuropathy, and the pain it causes. It might be the only pain killer that really helps. But I won't know unless I try.

I want to thank you for your prayers. You, and ozzybug are good people! Thanks and have a great night! Monistee

Old 04-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Monistee, I understand exactly what you're saying about not telling the doctor too much for fear of getting cut off. Last month, I told my PM that I wanted to get off the oxy....but didn't tell him too much about the reason. He was all supportive and suggested (IMO) an unrealistic taper plan. So now I'm off the taper and back on my regular dosage (or more). At this month's visit, I just glossed over what I told him last month. He gave me my usual amount.

As for the neuropathy, has your doc tried stuff like Cymbalta, Lyrica, neurontin, etc.? My PM told me these work for nerve pain. They didn't work for me plus had side-effects, but apparently they do work for some.

I don't have neuropathy, but I do have nerve pain and numbness. As I type, my thigh feels like it's on fire. Even the oxy doesn't help much, but it gets WAY worse without it....or it could be I'm just used to it and the pain is exaggerated when I cut down.

Good luck and I know you will find the friends on this board helpful, supportive and best of all, non-judgmental.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #7
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Montisee-
    I take Neurontin for my neuropathy and it works well. We started at a low dose and worked our way up to the proper dosing. It has helped me so much and my nerve pain has decreased, the sensitivity to cold has decreased and the flare-ups that still occasionally occur don't last for weeks like they did before.

As far as talking with your doctor, you can simply tell him that you are hoping to taper down on the methadone a little to see where your pain levels are. You can tell him you are interseted in trying some other meds like the Neurontin or Lyrica to see if that will help. Ask if he is willing to consider these possibilities and help you do it the right way.

Many people rave about Lyrica for their nerve pain. I was on it for a while and it just didn't give me the help that the Neurontin does. Different people react to different meds depending on their body chemistry, so you might find Lyrica or Cymbalta work well for you. There are several meds that help with nerve pain/damage.

Again, take care and just know that most doctors are very understanding when a patient asks to wean down. Make sure you let him know you want to do this slowly so that you don't suffer.

You can always come here for support which is definately a positive.

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-18-2009 at 06:07 AM.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
    monistee
    (male)

monistee HB User

I want to thank all three of you, for your sound advice. NotPerky, I'm so glad your doctor, decided to help you. The reason I'm worried about talking to him about it. Has to do with so many threads, that I have read. It seems a lot of these doctors don't mind prescribing, a lot of painkillers. But the minute people tell them they have a problem. It seems like they don't want anything to do with you. But then I got to thinking about what you all have said. It makes perfect sense. And I think about all the stories about the doctors. I figured the reason you hear all the nightmares, has to do with the fact people will write about bad experiences. Not many right about the success stories. On the 29th. I see the doctor. And I'm going to talk to him about weaning myself off of the methadone.

I'm also going to ask about the drugs ozzybug, and you have mentioned. I know that certain prescriptions work for some and not the others. Ozzybug mentioned Neurontin , really works for her. I think I will ask my doctor about putting me on it. Plus also, the other two medications, you both have suggested, Cymbalta and Lyrica.

I want you all to know I found this site by luck. And I must say it's fantastic. I've learned that there is a lot of decent people out there, willing to help! Also the information you all have provided me with. Means a lot, especially coming from people who experienced symptoms close to mine. And I want to thank every single one of you, from the bottom of my heart! Monistee

Old 04-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Wink Re: What to do!

i realey admier your courage. i think your makeing the right choice . good for you. i hope all the best for you scott

Old 04-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
    monistee
    (male)

monistee HB User
    Thumbs up Re: What to do!

56789. Thanks for the kind words. I've been reading a lot of these posts. I've noticed they all have one thing in common. And that is the support people get from caring people like yourselves. It really makes a difference! As for myself. It's good to have some place we can go, when we want to talk about our drug problems! Unfortunately, a lot of people like myself. Don't want to make my problems public.

Myself, I have been thinking about withdrawing for a long time. And I truly believe these post, encouraged me to do something about it.

NotPerky, I was reading a post. Not realizing it was yours. It was titled Oxycodone has ruined my life. It sounded like you were going through hell! I know it's not going to be easy. You mentioned, you withdrew from methadone. Could you let me know, a little more about that.

If I can get off of the methadone. That would be a good start. I know that I will be needing some form of painkillers for the rest of my life. But I need to come off these heavy-duty ones. I want to laugh again, smile more often and to feel emotions. Once again. Since I've been on these, I really haven't been myself! I want to be the old me. And I can see the support from these boards will go a long way in helping.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #11
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: What to do!

hi hope all is ok today . if you try the lyrica let me know how it works that med is supose to help fibro wich i have . an thank you for your kind words as i draw strength from it . god bless scott

Closed Thread