It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Tramadol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
    tossthepickle
    (male)

tossthepickle HB User
    Tramadol

Hey guys,

I will try and keep this short as possible but I do have some questions.....

I went through shoulder surgery on 02/03/09. I origionally injured my shoulder in April of 08. I have been on pain killers off and on since then. In May of 08 the wife and I went to Puerto Rico for a week. I actually ran out of my lortab the day before I left. I was completely fine until about day 3 and then I started feeling a lil "wierd" but nothing untolerable! I had a great time. However, on my way home I became extremely ill. I actually thought I caught something down there........ What I didn't know is that I was going through w/d..... I survived!

Well, I had my surgery and of course I was prescribed pain killers.... I caught myself abusing them. A friend of mine passed away and I took more than I should have that day. I realized I had a problem! That night I flushed the remaining pills I had......

I am now on Tramadol 50mg and it is doing wonders for the withdrawl symptoms. My question is, how long should I stay on them before I stop taking them? Tomorrow will be a week w/o and pain killers aside from Tramadol and IB 800. I am trying to go as long as I possibly can in between taking my tramadol..... For instance, last night at 1am (early this AM) I took 2 (100 mg total-what I am prescribed). I was able to make it until about 4 pm this afternoon before I needed to take any more. By that time I had pretty bad #2 going on, jittery and sweaty.

Any advice would be greately appreciated. I know I am prolly being a pansy about this and there are many out there worse off than I am but I tried to go cold turkey w/o anything and felt HORRIBLE.... I actually wanted to find a drug dealer to stop the way I felt!

Got a lil long winded and I am sorry..... In closing here is what I was on....

I started w/ 5's in April or 08- 1 at night
    Moved to 7.5- 1 at night
    Then 1 in the morning and 1 at night

After surgery

10's every 4 hours
    did that for about a month

dropped to 7.5 every 4 hours

Last Tuesday I flused the remaining 7.5's I had and now I am taking IB 800 3 times a day and a total of 4 tramadol's. Each Tramadol is 50 mg. I take 2 every 12 hours or so.....

Any help is appreaciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: Tramadol

you should be ok to taper down to nothing by now. as tramadol is not a narcotic . its worth a few days of wd wich it sounds like you have already done . good luck scottyou could go down to 1 50 mg tram twice for a few days more than 50 a day then none.they say that a 50 mg tram is the same as 5 mg hydro , tram did nothing for my pain , but its interesting to hear that there helping you taper. do what works for you , hope this helps. you will feel better soon

Old 04-21-2009, 01:50 AM   #3
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User
    Re: Tramadol

Hello there,

I took tramadol for a month. Tramadol is a synthetic narcotic. It hits the same receptor that lortab does. It is also extremely addictive. Tramadol is not for people with a history of drug abuse. Some folks on this board said it it just as hard, if not harder, to get off of. When I tapered off Tramadol, I had THE worst withdrawals. I read that it wasn't a narcotic and wasn't addictive so I took it for pain. Like 56789 said, it didn't do much for my pain, however I got addicted to them fairly quickly.

I would suggest a slow taper. You've only been on it for a week so you could take 150mg (one in the morning, two at night) for a three or four days, then take 100mg (one in the morning, one at night) for three or four days, then take 50mg (one in the morning or one at night) for three or four days. Once you've taken your last 50mg, you can take one every other day (two or three times) and you should be fine.

This is only my opinion - do some research on Tramadol. See what others have to say regarding addiction and withdrawals. You could stop tomorrow and be compleatly fine, you never know.

Let us know how it goes. There are some wonderful people on this board with alot of knowledge. Hopefully someone else can fill you in on their experience with Tramadol. I think it is just as bad as the other narcotics that are available (in terms of addiction).

Good luck, hope it all works out for you. Have you considered seeing a counsellor about becoming addicited? Flushing your pills down the toilet was a step in the right direction, however you should talk to someone as you need to protect yourself in the future. Perhaps NA meetings?

Have a great day,
    Sincerely,
    emsmom

Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
    tossthepickle
    (male)

tossthepickle HB User

Thank you guys.....

I have considered tapering but I haven't done so.....

I took my last ones @ 4pm yesterday and actually woke up feeling fine. I did take 2 IB 800 in fear that I would wake up achy as it is normal rection for me to start feeling achy and sore all over when it starts wearing off....

I will go as long as I possiblly can today and let you know how I feel and how long I make it....

Thank you

Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Hope everything goes well for you

emsmom

Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
    tossthepickle
    (male)

tossthepickle HB User

I still haven't taken my Tramadol today. 4 pm will have been 24 hours!

I am cold and have the #2's but other than that I feel well..... The last time I Yesterday about hour 13 (when I finally took some more) I began to notice high levels of iratability and, queasy feeling and body jolts as well as cold sweats......

If I can, I am going to go as long as I can before I need to take any more...

I would like to so say, I so feel for everyone else. I don't care if you chose to begin an opiate addiction or like myself you were prescribed the meds for legit reasons and when they don't work you take more.... I truly feel for ya and I keep you in my prayers! No one should have to go through these feelings! I know mine isn't as severe as some and for that I am fortunate.....

Good luck to all of you!!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
    Redneon82
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Redneon82 HB User

I was sent home from the hospital after surgery with Tramadol. Within 2 weeks, I was hooked.

I also was told that it is non-narcotic and therefore non-addictive. Wrong, wrong! I was truly addicted.

When my prescription ran out after about 7 weeks, I called my PCP. She said that Tramadol IS addictive and I should have tapered. Well, my surgeon didn't tell me that! So I had to go cold turkey.

I went through a week of horrible, awful withdrawals. Then it was over, but I will never, never take it again.

I hope your experience is much more pleasant than mine!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
    tossthepickle
    (male)

tossthepickle HB User

Since my last post a few things have changed........

Last night I finally broke down and took 2! I had too or I wasn't sleeping! I tried, really did...... I was able to go 32 hours with out any but no matter how ard I tried I could not sleep! My leggs wouldn't stop....... So, I took 2 and figured I would taper that way! I would just wait until I couldn't sleep any longer and then take them. Well, today I was extremely depressed and nearly walked out on my job. That wasn't happening so I took 2 more about 4 today and guess what..... No more depression!

I don't wanna take these any more, done with them! Here are my symptoms and if anyone could offer any advice to counter act them I would greatly appreciate it!

#2's- RUNNY! I can deal with this symptom!

Cold, always cold! This one too I can deal with to an extent until I am so cold at night I can't stand it!

Leg thingies- Feels like my legs won't stop moving and I can't get comfortable. This in turn leads to sleepless nights! I even tried taking 2 OTC sleeping pills!

Depression and Irratability- I can deal with this one as well provided I can get the sleep under control!

Once again, ANY help?

Old 04-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Tramadol

it sounds like you may have sleepless nights for awhile, the depresion will go away .but you have to stay stoped long enough, its funny they gave me that drug 200 mg to start took them off an on they did absultely nothing for my pain, this was about 3 weeks after motocycle accident . this was the first time in my life takin painkillers they gave me something stronger . but any how they say that you can get addicted to any drug , so just use the 10% taper plan .hope this will help you ,its funny they say say they are not a narcotic . but they could be addictive .an its true your not alone . this is not the first i hear about somone having a hardtime with tramadol, hang in there scottoh you could try a faster taper like on your days off as most of the wd should pass in about 3 days but the mental addiction can hang on for weeks. just know that they go away an fake it if needed. i had times wear when i was tapering a just had to keep my mouth shut because i was moody

Last edited by 56789; 04-22-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
    bigmark
    (male)

bigmark HB User

I started taking Tramadol about 16years ago for Low Back Pain after surgery
    and if I miss one I get the sweats twitching fell really bad My GP told me all those years ago that they were not addictive I now they are. This is me for the rest of my life I still have LBP but have tried patches but no joy there so I think I will be taking them to the day I die. Is there any help out there for people like me
    regards

Old 04-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #11
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: Tramadol

i live with fibro siatica an arthritis .painful but i use over the counter meds , now , lbp ya i have it an i live with it for now , with a proper exercise program, my md told me alot of people that dont exercise the mussles dont give them self a chance to get them stronger so this in turn causes more. pain , a sore mussle that does not get exercised ,gets weaker it makes some sence to me but sometimes i question it . but still keep doing it. i was 40% stronger this time last year after a motorcycle accident . 3 months since the doctor said i have siatica he said 6 months to get stronger i feel about 70%, .tramodol i just dont know it was like taking nothing for me. scott

Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Tossthepickle,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through withdrawals. It sounded like you were doing great - I had hoped you'd be able to get through without anymore Tramadol.

Here are some suggestions to help with your symptoms.

#2's - Go buy some Imodium - it will be your best friend for the next few days

Cold, always cold - take hot baths (and use epsom salts - this will also help the restless legs)

Leg thingies (I giggled at the word thingies ) - Get out and take walks. You will have to try to motivate yourself, as walking is probably the last thing on your mind. Also, instead of taking OTC sleeping aids, ask your doctor for something temporary to help you sleep. Prescribed sleeping aids are much gentler on your system and most of them won't leave you groggy in the morning like the OTC ones do.

Depression and Irratability - Exercise, exercise, exercise! Again, this is probably the last thing you feel like doing, however it is the KEY to battling depression.

I hope this helps - Let us know how things go.

Good luck,
    emsmom

Old 04-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hey Tossthepickle!

I hope you are feeling a little bit better. The best advice I can give you as I have been in your shoes before is to stay hydrated since you are having #2 issues... For your leg "thingies" which I also found amusing you called them that... HOT BATHS AND WALKS!!!!!! It will help you and I too agree to call your Dr. for an rx to help you sleep. Sleep is key and it's almost impossible while going thru withdrawals.

You hang in there!! It will come to an end!!! I promise you that. Stay strong and post it out.. That helped me big time.

We will be thinking of you so keep us posted!
    Hugs to you.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:58 AM   #14
    tossthepickle
    (male)

tossthepickle HB User

Thank you everyone.......

Since my last post I kinda gave up trying to quit! Not that I don't want to, just that I have so much depending on me! My carrear requires me to be alert and motivated.... I am a leader and when I am not on my game that whole staff suffers! One thing I have learned is the impact I can have on others with my attitude alone! Most importantly tho, my wife deserves to be happy. We have been going through a really rough patch and I have come to realize it is because I was trying to not take them and becoming so irratable that I would snap for no reason.....

Last night I started an argument about rolling the car window down. She tried to laugh it off and that made me even angrier..... I was able to realize what was going on but not before we really got into it!

My next doctor appointment isn't until the 21st.....

I am going to call him tomorrow and try to get in sooner than that. I will do as you say and ask for an rx for sleep.

I have been working out a lot here lately and it does seem to help. My wife even goes to the gym with me and it has really helped our relationship!

Once again, thank you guys.... Like I said, I had given up until I came back and read your responses! Your support is much appreciated!

I will deff keep you updated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 07:09 AM   #15
    dolejaly
    Veteran
    (female)

dolejaly HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 56789 View Post
    i live with fibro siatica an arthritis .painful but i use over the counter meds , now , lbp ya i have it an i live with it for now , with a proper exercise program, my md told me alot of people that dont exercise the mussles dont give them self a chance to get them stronger so this in turn causes more. pain , a sore mussle that does not get exercised ,gets weaker it makes some sence to me but sometimes i question it . but still keep doing it. i was 40% stronger this time last year after a motorcycle accident . 3 months since the doctor said i have siatica he said 6 months to get stronger i feel about 70%, .tramodol i just dont know it was like taking nothing for me. scott

I once was told something similar, that the pain we feel is like a toothache...What do we do when we have toothache, we poke and prod at it(and I don't know why, it irritates it more, but we all do,LOL) and that is the same way with pain, especially legs...I have found in the summer, although it hurts like heck, but I bike ride and its like the toothache syndrome if it hurts make it hurt more and it actually feels better.....can't figure out why it helps but it does.

Closed Thread