It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• new here...oxycodone problem

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User
    new here...oxycodone problem

Hi...I'm new here and I've been really impressed with the help on this board. I'm a 42 yr. old male with an oxycodone problem. I'm doing 125mg/day and I would like some advice. Should I try to taper or maybe try suboxone? I have been doing oxy for about 9 months but only at 125/day for a month. I feel so scared and ashamed. I have a very strong will power but I'm not sure that counts for much against this demon. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Re: new here...oxycodone problem

well i would not minumize that amount thats alot, i was taking 30 to 40 mgs a day , for about the same amount of time ,an i chose taper i new it was just a matter of time an 50 60 an more , i was taking it for pain from a bike wreck,i was able to taper it is up to you though , if it was to get high ,you might want to try the sub ,it is very mentaly addictive ,your doing the right thing though selfwill has nothing to do with it , if you cant taper try sub ,good luck scott

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Philly

Glad to see you aboard here. Also glad to see you investigating how to get off the Oxycodone. Good for you.

I was also on Oxycodone when I finally committed to getting clean of all opiates and benzos. ( I was also on Xanax). I was on then much longer than you (about 12 years), but my Oxycodone use was about 60mg a day when I made my plan to put my life back together. As 56789 pointed out, 125 mgs a day is quite a bit. While I believe Suboxone is the right path for some, I also believe it easily takes us from one addiction to another. I have not read any stories here on the board where it wasn't just as difficult to get off of as any other opiate. Do your research before deciding the right path for you, okay?

For me, I chose a long and slow taper from Oxycodone. Even with that, it was not by any means a symptom free path. However, my starting point was not a good one as I had had a complete breakdown before starting the taper and was already a mess. So although your dose may be higher, it seems you are in a better place to start.

I mapped out a strategy with my family doctor. The first cut was probably a 20% cut on both the Oxycodone and the Xanax. Bad start! That night I went into full blown withdrawal and experienced seizures. I truly was never before as frightened as I was that night. It took me nearly 2 weeks to begin to level off physically and mentally to any degree at all. The doctor and I tweaked the plan.... no more tapering on the Xanax and a slower taper on the Oxycodone. I came off the Oxy at about 10% each cut and stayed put for a week to ten days before cutting again. I had to break pills into 1/2s, 1/4s and even sometimes crush them to measure out a dose, but it was relatively easy to do. It took me a few months to get off. At one point about half way through, I had to stay put for nearly three weeks to get level again. I got antsy towards the end, but stayed steadfast to the 10% cut.

There were times of anxiety after cuts during which I would cry hard. I learned to breathe my way through these times and though I hated them, I was able to cope with them. Some cuts were not difficult while others were. Bowels were loose throughout so I always had a supply of Immodium at the ready. Jumpy legs at night sometimes plagued me. Hot baths helped this. Also, the second post on this board, titled Sample Home Detox, provided a wealth of info regarding helpful things during detox. Its suggestions are great whether going cold turkey or taper. Take some time to read it.

The fear. Friend, we all are terrified beforehand. Do not feel alone in this. Please understand that it is so a part of what we feel as we get ready to embark on a path that will restore our lives. Don't doubt for a minute... you can do this. The fear leaves as we involve ourselves in restoring out whole being by getting clean. It is a time when we must be selfish in order to survive. We have to concentrate on ourselves and keep gathering tools to help us. By the way, one of the biggest tools is physical activity. When we think we can not possibly move a muscle is the tiome when we have to dig deep and push, push to go for a walk, sweep a floor, workout at the gym.

The shame. Ah, another popular feeling among us! Smiles. I am going to tell you straight up here... the only shame you need to feel is the shame of not confronting a problem and working to solve it. Since you have already mastered this one, let shame go. There is no place for it right now in the mind.. there is only room in there to concentrate on how to find restoration and peace again.

Okay, Friend, enough for now. I am sure you will have more questions and thoughts. Stay with us as you work through this. You are so welcome here.

With all hope
    reach

Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
    readerroz
    (female)

readerroz HB User

Hi, Phillybro,

Well, we're in this together. I'm at 90-120 mg hydrocodone a day, but in all honesty, it's usually 120 mg. About 30-60 days ago I jumped to the 120. I really have no idea why I did a 30 mg leap instead of just going up 10 mg (1 pill), but here I am. Afraid and wondering why in the world I ever got to this point. So, I really support your moving toward detox before you bump it up again.

This board pointed out I shouldn't try to do this alone, so I looked into NA meetings and found a local area that has get togethers every day of the week. I think that's the next step after acknowledging there's a problem.

I come here early every morning then again in the evening. Until I actually walk through the door of my first meeting this is all I've got and I'm grateful I found the folks here.

Keep coming back.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Thanks to all for the response. I started last nite with my taper and I'm determined to see it through to the finish. I can't wait for the day to be free of this. I know from what I've read on here that it will not be easy, but I'm determined. I guess I'm about to find out how strong I am in this regard. I do need as much support as possible as I haven't told anyone except on here. You all will be my support. Thank you "reachout" for your words of support. "Readerroz" please keep me posted and we can be there for each other. If you want we can taper together and support each other that way. I am here if you need me. I've decided to hold off on going to Dr. for sub for now. I want to taper for a few weeks and see how far I can get - hopefully all the way.

Write back.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Welcome to the group Philly Bro!

I was also on oxycodone due to a neck injury and I was taking between 60 - 80 mg/day when I began to stop because my pain diminished. For the amount you are taking, I would suggest you consult your doctor and work out a plan. Personally, I do not like the suboxone approach, because it is substituting one addictive opiate for another. If you want to be clean, you need to get off all opiates. That means a long taper for you, dropping a little at a time and allowing your body to body to get used to the lower dose. You have to taper by reducing the total dose, not the individual pills and you will have to split pills in pieces at times to get the proper dose. Everybody's body is different and can handle the taper better or worse than the next person. You have to start on a plan, stick to it and let us know if you have questions or concerns.

Oxy w/d's are not fun and somewhere along the taper down to Zero, you will get them. I use that memory of my w/d's to make sure I never take it again. You may want to reduce down to 120 mg/day and see how your body reacts, then down to 115 mg and continue to reduce a little at a time and each time, wait a few days and see how your reacts. If you start having w/d's that you absolutely can't stand, go up to the last dose and take that a little longer and then drop down again. When you start having w/d's on a regular basis, try reducing no more than 10% at a time or increase the time you are on the new dose. You are looking at months ahead of you. Also, if the w/d's get too bad, a doctor may prescribe clonidine or Valium or a sleeping pill to help.

You're setting out on a very rough trip, but it is worth it at the end! I didn't know how the Oxy effected me and my family until I was completely off of it. I feel alive now!! Good Luck to you and let us know how you are doing. You will have more questions as the process goes along - we've been there and we're here to help.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Thanks for the reply and thoughts "denon". I am on my first day of taper from Oxy. Today I am taking 120mg and I plan to wait 3-4 days and reduce to 110mg then 3-4 days to 100mg and so on. I would appreciate any and all advice and thought as to this being the right way. If anyone has experience with this I look forward to your thoughts. Too slow, too fast, etc. Also, if anyone has ideas about dealing with the anxiety please let me know. I eat very well, excercise daily and keep busy with work. I am not looking to get "high" anymore but just seek to feel normal. I know that I am in for a long journey back to normal but I am determined. I know that is probably months away. I don't drink nor do I take any other drugs. I really appreciate everyone's responses. Most on here are very thoughtful and knowledgable and I covet your input immensely!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Your body will let you know if you are going too fast - trust me!!! I tapered too fast and I suffered withdrawals during the process, but even though I was miserable back then, I'm glad I did it now. I just wanted to get off of Oxy at the time. I'm not the type of person that likes taking prescriptions for any reason. Also, looking back... I would have worked with a addition management doctor if I had the chance. Most family doctors don't deal with withdrawals because they don't see it that often. Keep it up - it looks like you have a good plan for now. When you get to lower doses see how your body handles the changes.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Heya Philly

Seems you are off to a good start. Sounds like a good taper plan in place. In the beginning, it is a bit easier to make the cuts usually. It is when we get down to smaller amounts that we really want to stick pretty faithfully to that 10% mark. As you taper, you will get more and more in tune with when it is time to make the next cut. Remember that slow and easy is the way with a taper that gives the greatest success.

For many, the blood pressure med Clonodine has been helpful with the anxiety and with the cold and hot sweats. I was already on a med that kept my heart beating slowwer because of a heart attack so I did not use Clonodine. Many have praised its help though. For me, when the anxiety hit, I would employ different things. My first course of action was always to try and get physically busy... fold laundry, walk (as much as I was able), focus on a chore no ,matter how simple. I straightened my bookcases a hundred times! Chuckles. If the anxiety really overcame me, I practiced measured breathing and just rode it out. I often posted on the board. And, most importantly, I trained myself when it hit to consciously remind myself that it was just a symptom in the process and that it would pass. The more I was able to recognize that it is all just a process, the easier it was to cope. We do not stay in that high anxiety state forever. We truly do not. The episodes pass. I also took Magnesium supplements as it helped with the nerves. I took a 250 mg tab twice a day.

Philly, you are going to be okay. I know how high the emotions can run as we go through this process. Believe me, I know. However, the more we can force ourselves to deal with it on a practical level, understanding what is occurring in our brains and bodies, the more doable it becomes. I kept a journal in the beginning weeks and charted how much Oxy I took and when. I also charted anxiety levels good or bad and the duration of each episode. I track of each baby step that was a success (went for a walk, talked to a friend, stretched next dose by 20 minutes, etc). Each day I would re-read what I had written from the beginning and was able to see the proof in black and white that it was getting better for me.

Tackle the symptoms not as symptoms of withdrawal but rather as symptoms of healing. The change in perspective is enormously helpful. My doctor gave me a mantra: "Everyday I am getting stronger and better." My brain got the message as I repeated it many times a day to myself.

Be well, Friend. You are going to be okay and restored life is waiting for you.
    Hugs
    reach

Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Thank you for your replies "reach" and "denon". Reach you have a beautiful way about you. And it means more than you know. Wait - you do know - all too well. Anyway, I am encouraged by everyone's replies and will keep everyone posted as to my success. I am excited, but also very scared and anxious. So If anyone else has actually tapered and won - I would love to hear your story. I'm going to need all the support I can get from here. I am truly humbled by the amount of PURE love on these boards. Info, straight-talk, encouragement and support from people to people..with no agenda. I am priviledged to have found this and I am very appreciative of any thoughts coming my way.

Thank you my new friends...

Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #11
    PaulyC
    (male)

PaulyC HB User

Wow.... My first post.

Hey bud. I'm a Jersey guy here. Age 38, and have had quite a few run ins with drugs myself. Including a perocet habbit that had hit 80mg a day. It is GREAT to hear the determination in your voice to make a change. I went the Suboxone route myself since I wasnt getting the perc through propper channels and it was costing a fortune. Personally, I think Suboxone is easier and a bit safer for tapering since there is no high, and no way to splurge if you hit a point of frustration; but it is still a strong, addictive opiate that has a longer half life, and takes a while to walk away from in the end.

Unfortunatley, from past experience, this ( Opiates ) is NOT an easy drug to walk away from.

The good news.... I did it. It can be done and that feeling of clear headed, wide eyed does come back.

All of the advice in these posts are spot on !!

A few pointers for now, that worked for me. Stay busy. This was HUGE for me. The days go faster if you have a lot to do. Eat right, exercise, take vitamins.... LOTS of vitamins. From what I have read, you cant overdose on vitamins. Your body will flush out what it cant use. I took 5 X what the label said. Kick start your body!

And Beyond what you can physically do.... Think about popping into an NA ( Narcotics Anonomous ) meeting. There is no reason to do this alone. There are THOUSANDS or people going through excatly what you are, or that have already gone through it and won. I can not stress how much this was a part of me beating my habbits. And I am not a "druggie" by the term LOL. I am 38, married, self employed, father of 2, a volunteer fireman and YES, I was addicted to percocet. Thank God and my friends that I am no longer.

<removed>

Hey Bud.... Hang in there. You are already HUGE STEPS into this. You are commited to a change.!!

Keep posting man!! It will give you a place to ease your mind and find more and more pointers.

Pauly C

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-03-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: do not discuss off-site contact

Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Pauly...thanks so much for the reply. I would love to know the details of your fight. How long were you addicted? What was the suboxone experience like? Any difficulty taking your first dose of sub? And so much more. Thanks so much for your encouragement...I need it bad! We sound very similar (lifestyles) and I would love to hear back from you bro.

Thanks...

Old 06-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
    (male)

56789 HB User
    Smile Re: new here...oxycodone problem

good luck with your taper , should you need it, the sub it will be there sub is nothing like full opoids an its to bad some have a closed minds to this med wich is not a sub , it is a tool that goes with councling selfhelp an so on, i did not like suboxone either , but i have a friend that just could not get off his $200 a day habbit relapce after relapce , he could go no longer than 2 or 3 days , it has been 35 days , with hardly no wd , i researched this for him ,he does not have a computer , i can see the change in him , yes like any other opoid , he will need to taper off 1 day , but with alot less wd then methadone or oxy or H , in his case , the med is designed so that it cant be abused , as easy as most opoids , the taper is real slow so that the wd is 8 to 10 times less for some , its almost imposible to overdose on , an only has a minamal ceiling effect my friend says it just makes him feel normal , i say what do you meen normal he said like life was before he started drugs , some do have a hard time finding the right dose , my friend hit on the right dose within hours , an a few weeks of min discomfort , he said it took all his wd symtems away , an his energy is alot better i know i work with him , it does not drag him down , the taper take it slow if you can you can do it , you may need more support than just this board oh best of all no mental cravings , an it acts like a painkiller for some with pain issues depression , these are not what the med is for but my friend said hay it takes care of his cronic back pain , an depresion

Last edited by 56789; 06-03-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey There Philly

Just stopping in with wishes for a good day. Hope all is well.

reach

Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
    phillybro
    (male)

phillybro HB User

Well last nite was a little scary for me. I took my last dose of oxy at 830 and fell asleep on the couch watching a movie. I had stretched out my doses to like 5 hrs. for the past 2 days and I also cut by 10%. Not too much i thought. Well by 3am I woke up to go up to bed and wham! I was hit with a dizzy feeling followed by really rapid heartrate for around 2 mins. It was incredibly scary. For a split second I had thoughts of going to the ER. But I calmed myself down and stayed up til morning. Today I called a sub doctor who actually answered the phone. She has been prescribing sub for 7 years and I had a lengthy talk with her. Very cool! I was completely honest and told her everything. She said that if I wanted to I could start sub on Tuesday. I totally want to taper off these things and can handle feeling bad, but when my heart starts racing like its gonna beat outta my chest...that's another thing. Now I'm seriously considering suboxone...Please...any advice...reach? Pauly?

Closed Thread