It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Taper from oxycodone - round 3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #16
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Taper from oxycodone - round 3

Hey There

Well. now.... a big "Atta Girl" to you!

NP, pointing out a lesson here to you.... we can get through the uncomfortable times. It may not be the best feeling as it occurs, but riding out a symptom does much to make some endorphins flow with our happiness in meeting the challenge. The brain heals a bit more with each success. It also teaches us slowly to stop reaching for a pill at the slightest provacation. As this habit forms, we are so much better prepared not to reach for them anymore as we walk off the drug. Instead of finding reasons why we should use, we begin to get greater joy by not finding excuses to use.

Remain steady and true to your taper plan. You are moving along so well. And honestly, you have already faced the worse symptoms and are handling them. There will not be any more surprise symptoms along the way. There is a rhythym of ups and downs to a taper...begin to recognize them with a practical eye. Understanding the pattern makes it much easier to deal with it.

So proud of you
    reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

You're right -- I think the worst shock to my system was going from 70 mg to 38 then 33 then 28 in a matter of three days. I wonder if that was really my doctor's plan (when he drastically reduced my scrip). He's probably sick of my saying "I want to get off" and then not being able to do it. If this works, I really gotta hand it to him for forcing the issue.

You're not going to believe this, but today I feel great. I actually am doing some light cleaning/organizing (yes, I did pay the bills over the weekend)....I know it will make me feel better if my environment is neater and more organized. I've been wallowing in a sea of clutter, and because I've been feeling so lousy, I just keep making more clutter. But today I was able to make a lot of headway in cleaning up. Maybe doing some dancing yesterday got the endorphins out of hiding!

Gotta keep on truckin'! Even though it feels like I'm on a low dose now, I've got to keep in mind that I'm still on the equivalent of over THREE 5-mg Percocets a day. So I've still got a ways to go....but today's little "energy burst" has really given me hope that maybe I CAN function without them!

Last edited by NotPerky; 06-22-2009 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Back to feeling not-great today. I'm stiff and my back is cracking when I move certain ways. Yesterday's energy is gone. I did cut my early morning dose out, so maybe that's it. (It was only a sliver, and it was only to eliminate the restlessness so I could get forty more winks. So of course I woke up at 5:55 AM and had to take a tiny bit of Ambien so I didn't end up taking the oxy early.)

Today's plan is to take four doses, 5 hours apart, of 3.75 each....total of 15 mg.

P.S. I just blew the 3 PM dose by taking it at 1:50 PM. I have an appt. with a dr. today re a spinal cord stimulator implant....this is too important to be antsy, nervous and sweating. I will try to catch up later when I can afford to feel like crap at home.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 AM   #19
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Just checking in. I've been able to stick to the 15 mg for the past few days. I still feel like crap though -- very stiff, even though I forced myself to go out and get some exercise last night. Hard to move. Back to feeling that weird kind of "out of it" feeling. I don't know why, since I've only dropped from 21 to 15 in a week's time. Then again, I'm such a wimp when it comes to side-effects. The things that other people can "shake off" end up incapacitating me.

That said, I am still going to try to cut another 10% today. I called my doctor to ask for a small scrip of 5 mg Percocet, which are large pills that can be easily split into 1.25 mg pieces. We'll see how supportive he is, or if he thinks I'm just drug-seeking. He's the one that thought I could taper over four weeks by going from 4, 3, 2, 1 15-mg pills, then dropping to zero (from 15). I'm thinking he's not going to understand my taper plan calls for way smaller reductions than that.

Wish me luck and as always, thanks for your support and concern.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #20
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Heya NP

Honey,

1) an hour early is not blowing your taper. Chuckles. Lighten up on yourself. If it happens, just get back on schedule next dose.

2) don't rush the cuts. Make sure you fell fairly level before cutting. This prevents failure and is a surer way to make sure that once the cut is made, it stays made.

3) 21mgs to 15mg in one week is pretty steep at this point. That is a 30% cut nearly! Baby steps, NP, baby steps!

4) concerning the doctor... he can only work well with you if you are totally honest. Tell him you feel pushed into going faster than your body and brain can accomodate. I am pretty confident when I write that as long as he sees you making steady progress all will be well.

5) there is nothing to prove by hurrying. You know your goal. It is a mistake to get too antsy as the end approaches. Slow and steady wins this race. Okay?

Thinking of you
    reach

Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #21
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Hey Reach,

Yeah, I know I'm not taking the "slow road" on the taper. The thing is, I guess I really don't care if I level off before making the next cut. As long as the symptoms aren't too horrendous, I want to keep going and feeling a sense of progress and hope. I don't want to get "used to" a certain dose, start feeling better, then go through it all over again....know what I mean? I really don't think I WILL be able to feel better while I'm tapering. My body is so stiff....it's been artificially propped up by the Oxy for so long. This last 15 mg seems so small (compared to my usual 60-75 mg), yet so large.....quite an accomplishment in two weeks (pats self on back), light at the end of the tunnel....yet it's still so far away. I just want my life back....right now, it's like I'm in a state of limbo -- still taking the Oxy, but not getting that feeling of "normal", much less "energetic".

Well, just babbling now....I'm up really late watching CNN on the Michael Jackson coverage....so sad, he was such a cute kid. But gotta go to bed before my last dose wears off....as always, thanks and hugs.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #22
    slinky1
    (female)

slinky1 HB User

3) 21mgs to 15mg in one week is pretty steep at this point. That is a 30% cut nearly! Baby steps, NP, baby steps!

Reach is right.... It sounds like you are tapering way too quickly. SLOW down and take baby steps!! You are in my thoughts....

Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #23
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

<removed> I found that opioids suppress appetite among other things. That is quite true in my case. Almost zero interest in food. Could be depression, or could be the opioids. In any event, I have lost a bit of weight during the taper (and I can't afford to lose much more). I look forward to the day I enjoy and relish food again.

Today's update: My PM doc did agree to my request for a small scrip of 5/325 Percocet. Geez, I forgot how huge those pills are! Ick....I hate swallowing pills. But anyway, they definitely will be much easier to split down into half- and quarter-pill doses.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-26-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Please do not speculate about other people's situations.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #24
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Hey NotPerky... Watch how fast to drop towards the end. That was when I really had bad w/d's because I pushed hard to get off. I was dropping 50%+ at a time after a few days on a dose and I really suffered because of it. See what level of w/d's you can tolerate and plan your dosage drops around that. I would still recommend holding to the 10-20% rule if possible. My worst time was below 10 mg/day, but that was because I didn't listen to the people here.

I was taking a single dose at a time and suffered 15 hours later. Break your doses down into 2 or 3 doses a day. So at 15 mg/day, that is 3 - 5/325's. Next drop to 12 mg/day, which is 3 - 4 mg doses or down to 10 mg/day trying 2 doses of the 5 mg pills. See how you handle it and continue to drop down until you feel you are ready to go cold turkey. Your body will tell you if you are dropping too fast or if you need to stay at a dose a little longer to get used to it. It's a struggle, but the end result is SOOOOooo much worth it. Good Luck!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #25
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Oh.. and yes - I lost weight while on Oxy because I didn't care if I ate or not or wasn't hungry. I almost immediately put on 15 pounds after getting off (or during detox), but I'm losing it as I become more active and getting my muscle strength back. That was my biggest disappointment (mostly due to my injury and being in bed for 6 weeks) was the amount of muscles mass I lost. More muscle = more calories you burn and the more weight you will lose.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #26
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Hi Denon -- yeah, I figure I'll gain weight once my system gets back to normal. I really hope I get my desire for food back, because eating toast and water ice is getting old.

I'm varying my taper plan a bit from what you recommended. I'm using a combo of "stretch the schedule out" AND "reduce the dose". So today, for example, I'm dosing every 5 hrs. but trying for 5-1/2. Instead of 3.75 each dose, I'm doing 3.75, 2.5, 3.75, then 2.5. It was really important to me psychologically to get under that 5-mg-per-dose level (since 5 mg represents one big-a** Percocet each time, which is not insignificant). I don't really map out the plan any further than a day or two.

(BTW, I still think your writing is fine :-).)

Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #27
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

I tried stretching between doses and it didn't work well for me, but I was stretching the time when I was taking a single dose a day. Not understanding the drug back then, I see that it was stupid for me to do that. You plan has a much better approach. Once you get between 12-15 hours since your last dose, you start feeling the w/d's and that was where I went wrong. Good Plan!!

Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #28
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Yes, I agree it would be difficult to go 12-15 hours between doses. At this point, I've gone from every 2-1/2 hours to every 5 hours, so that's an accomplishment (for me). Even at that, I start feeling hot/sweaty/antsy approaching the 5-hour mark. So I like the idea of tapering the dose down further, until it gets so insignificant maybe my body won't notice when I start stretching the schedule out.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:53 PM   #29
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

I got down to 10 mg/day yesterday, split into four doses of 2.5 each. Yayyy! I am staying at 10 today. Not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow....like I said, I'm still doing this a day or two at a time.

Yesterday, I was able to swim a little...felt good to move my bones. But I was still sore and stiff last night, same as I've been since I started tapering. My back cracks with the slightest movement....weird. I hope that stuff goes away eventually. I also went to the store last night and ate a proper dinner.

I'm still getting the clammy/sweaty/antsy/hot flashes occasionally, usually in the last hour before my next dose....or sometimes when I just think about stuff that's upsetting or overwhelming. The good news is, I was getting those same hot flashes even when I was taking the Oxy....so it's not like I'm tempted to take one to stop them. That's the one thing that is very helpful during this taper: Over the last few months, I have felt like crap no matter how much Oxy I took. And I think just the challenge of quitting has fired up an endorphin or two....so hopefully I can see it through this time. I have come TOO FAR (and further than in past tapers) to go back now....

Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #30
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Sorry to keep writing today, but I feel pretty lousy. Denon, didn't you have stomach pains while going through WD? Tonight I suddenly started having bad stomach pains for no apparent reason. I thought of you. Maybe this is just another symptom? Not sure why I feel so lousy today since I've been at 10 mg for a few days, but perhaps I should just stay there for another day or two. So close.....yet so far.

Closed Thread