It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Taper from oxycodone - round 3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #46
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User
    Re: Taper from oxycodone - round 3

Hey there RR, yes I do understand what you're saying, but as you know, the pain is greater during the withdrawal process. The body is used to functioning only when it has 5 mg, then 10, then 40, then 60, etc., of opioids. Start taking them away, and the body becomes incapacitated. The pain is worse because the body doesn't know how to deal with it without the support of narcotics. I don't think I can make any future pain-management decisions based on how I feel now. I'll have to be oxy-free for a few weeks to really assess where my pain level truly is. The fact that I've had some days, during the taper, in which I had little "bursts of energy" gives me hope. The other thing is, I have to get my stomach and appetite back to normal. Can't live on water ice forever.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #47
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Hey there NotPerky - I'm trying to catch up after being away for a while - this last part, going from 5 mg/day down to 2.5 mg/day was the worst for me and I had withdrawals the whole time. Finally going cold turkey at 2.5 mg/day wasn't as bad though. But I was doing things wrong and not properly splitting up my doses equally throughout the day like you are doing. That makes it easier on the body to handle the lower dose. Keep plodding along and keep that final goal in view. Now that I'm over it I can look back and see how miserable I was and how good and alive I feel now. It was a struggle and it was worth it to finally severe the oxy cord and become free.

Trust me... every little ache an pain in your body will be amplified when you get down to the lower levels and once your finally get off. All of the pain centers that were being blocked by the Oxy start transmitting the pain to your brain again. I still ache (6 month post-Oxy), but these are normal injuries and pain that I have in my body and I am able to live with the inconvenience of not doing the things that I used to do because I have pain. Just in comparison though, the pain I feel now is 1/100th of the pain I felt during withdrawals.

In the end you will look back and see how much better you feel once you are off of the Oxy and can experience life normally. It is so much worth it!!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #48
    redrockrag
    (female)

redrockrag HB User

You are my hero and have your head in the right place. I can't tell you how impressed I am of you. I am just not. I have a week before my next script and I am not sure I can turn it down. I'm planning on giving it to a friend and seeing if I can get some help. You are such a wonderful role model. Thank you. Sharing with the board is of such benefit to us all.
    rr

Old 07-16-2009, 10:29 PM   #49
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

I've just noticed how irritable I am. My son told me I'm "always mad", I've gotten banned from a message board, I was told I was "bitter" on another board, I had a nasty e-mail exchange with someone who wrote to our newspaper and he told me was glad he wasn't married to me, I had a little dust-up with some friends last night, and I haven't spoken to my mother in four weeks. Wow. I know I was becoming shrewish in my last days of Oxy because I was so miserable and depressed, but I'm like out-of-control now. I'm not feeling great, but then again I'm not in severe WD either. Think it's just depression, or could it be that the severe reduction in Oxy? The fact that I'm feeling this way about myself is making me even more depressed. I know I'm not normally the most easygoing person, but all these recent incidents have me really worried.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #50
    redrockrag
    (female)

redrockrag HB User

Hang in there. I have hidden away with books the last week. No one to yell at but I live alone and that is lots easier than you have it. Try and do what relaxes you. You'll be back.
    rr

Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #51
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Hey Redrock, our posts just crossed. Thanks for the kind words. As you can tell from my last post, my head is still in the "right place" with the taper, but my nerves are so frayed I'm about to explode half the time. Besides all the of the physical and emotional upheaval of the taper, it's also due to a family situation (with my son and my mother) that has me feeling alternately mad, depressed, guilty, despondent, or all of the above. I just feel like such a b****....and then I get more depressed because I hate myself for being this way. (Yes, I am on Wellbutrin, have been for years.)

Sorry, I sent that before I meant to. Anyway, all of this just reinforces my decision to get off the narcotics, because I know they were already ruining my relationships. I'm telling myself that the frayed nerves are due to the taper, and I'll get back to normal soon.

Last edited by NotPerky; 07-16-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added something

Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #52
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Hello all...checking in. After five days of 5 mg, I cut down to 4 mg (or thereabouts) yesterday. (Hard to know exactly when you're basically measuring out dust particles.) You would think at this low level, I'd hardly notice, right? Noooo, I'm a mess. Mainly depression, and lots of crying and despondency, and anger/rage at stressful things going on in my life, but pain/stiffness too. Fun stuff, huh. Based on my track record of previous reductions, I should feel a little better tomorrow. After all, that was a 20% reduction even though it was only one lousy milligram. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, and I appreciate the support.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #53
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Notperky:
    Do you generally have pain all the time? I mean chronic pain? You might want to inquire with your doctor about this. There is a different anti-depressant called Cymalta that can be effective for not only depression but nerve pain too. It's just a thought and you might not have to suffer as badly. It does not work for everyone but you should ask your doctor about it.

How in the world do you cut a 5mg pill down to 4mg?? I suppose that you are using a pill splitter. Anyway, keep up the good work and let us know how things are going. Do you have a date where you should be completely done with the taper? Just think very soon you will be completely free of the opiates.

brian

Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #54
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Hey, where is everyone? On vacation? :-) Hope you're all doing OK.

Brian, I have 5 mg oxycodone IR capsules that I am dumping out and measuring into 1-mg portions (or at least as close as I can get). The pharmacist has told me this is OK because the capsule itself is not needed; they're not extended-release caps.

I have tried Cymbalta and many other drugs for nerve pain. None helped and all had side-effects that I couldn't tolerate. BTW, I had a terrible time getting off Cymbalta, even after weaning down to "grains". Yes, I do have chronic pain but need to get off all narcotics and anti-inflammatories to save my stomach, which is really annoyingly sensitive.

I don't have a taper schedule (it's one day at a time), but I do have a new tactic. Rather than going down a full milligram at a time (which can be a drastic % reduction at these low levels), I think I will reduce a TEENSY bit every day. Like, a few dust particles. I have got to look out for my emotional stability, but also I've got to get off this stuff! I need my appetite back and get my system back to normal, whatever that may be....

P.S. Maybe something's wrong with my computer or display, as I'm not seeing any posts at all for the past few days....that's why I asked if everyone was on vaca. Hmmm....not sure why.

Last edited by NotPerky; 07-23-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added something

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #55
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

I think the whole forum was down for a few days - I'm finally seeing posts again.

Tapering like you are doing is a good idea by just reducing a little each day. So long as you have enough pills to do it, it will be the easiest on your body to adjust. From what I have read and seen on the forum is to taper 10-20% at a time with some time period, usually a week or two. but, I like your idea of measuring out a little less each day. Keep us informed how that is working once you get down to the lower doses.

Good Luck to you!!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #56
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Well, I've been pretty incapacitated for the past five days with my usual complaints -- pain, stiffness, feeling like a truck ran over me, occasional hot flashes, not able to eat much. My car hasn't moved since last weekend. My son (30) may be a source of stress, but at least he's here to help me....don't know how I'd manage without him.

That said, I'm still tapering a little each day. If I'm successful today, I'll be down to 3.5 mg. I want to get OFF this stuff, so my body can start to adjust and heal.

But here's the good news -- guess what I did today? Flushed about 100 15-mg oxycodone pills down the toilet!!! I finally did it. I have enough 5-mg's for the rest of my taper, and I didn't think it was good to keep that other stash around. First off, because you don't want to have a lot of temptation when you're trying to taper; secondly, because this means I CAN'T go off the taper without having to call the doctor for more meds; but mostly, because I'm too emotionally unstable, if ya know what I'm sayin'. What if I go off the deep end during one of my crying jags? Better to get rid of 'em. I felt a little bad because this is legitimately-prescribed pain medication that my insurance company paid for and someone could probably use it. But I think "flushing" is an important symbolic gesture and I'm glad I did it!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #57
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

You're doing great! Flushing the pills is a BIG step along the way too. I was never able to reach that stage and in fact I still have some of my Percs. I used to keep them on my desk in front of me to prove that I was stronger than the pills and be able to resist the temptation, but decided to put them in a safer place were kids and other adults couldn't get to them.

Just stick to your tapering schedule and let your body adjust to the lower dose. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you will jump off and start the new process of staying drug free.

The whole time I was below 10 mg/day and the closer I got to 2.5 mg/day the more run down and achy I felt, but I was dropping my doses fast to get off of it. Everyone's body is different and will handle it differently, so listen to your body and drop your doses accordingly.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:31 PM   #58
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

Here I am again....Endless Taper Woman. Today I'm down to 2 mg, divided into three doses -- 1 PM, 7 PM, 1 AM. I'm still stiff and feeling like my body is 100 years old. It hurts to move. I can barely stand up, and certainly not upright. I can't lift my leg to get my "capri's" on. I can't bend over. My neck and shoulders are stiff. My lower back is on fire. I still can barely eat, but I forced myself to go get Prilosec (and ice cream) tonight. The hot flashes start at about the 4-hour mark, and by 6 hours I'm really agitated. When I finally take my little "dust smattering", it settles me down but doesn't address the pain and stiffness.

PLEASE do not let me forget that I felt this way even while still taking the Oxy!!!

I'd like to just jump off completely, but I'm too afraid. The thing that is keeping me going is this: I detoxed from methadone 30 years ago, and I specifically remember I felt 100 years old for quite a few weeks afterward. So I'm thinking this is my body's normal reaction to opiate withdrawal, and that things WILL get better.

I just hate being incapacitated (physically, mentally) for all these days.....weeks.....I am praying every night and even hung my rosary over my bed to get me through this.

I think I will hold at 2 mg for the next few days. Even though I'm <5 mg, I did reduce 50% since last week....quite a big reduction. I've got to get adjusted.

Thanks for all your support, as always.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #59
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Keep it up - nice and slow. Stay at 2 mg/day for a few days if you feel like you have to. The pain and stiffness may be real pain and stiffness that you just didn't realize you had while taking the full dose of Oxy. I'm almost 6 month clean and I ache to the point that some days I can hardly walk, but that's just plain old age creeping up on me. I didn't feel any pain when I was max'd out on Oxy - I could whack my thumb with a hammer and not feel the pain. The reminder of my withdrawals keeps me clean though!! I don't ever want to go through that again!!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #60
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

You might want to try taking an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen, aspirin, or Aleve to see if that might help some of the bad aching pain. It would be worth a shot right? That would also help to get you off the oxycodone quicker if you didn't have the bad aching feeling and stiffness. You should also take a multi-vitamin with high doses of b-vitamins. The drugs have a way of completely sucking the nutrients and vitamins out of our bones so when you are starting to withdrawal this is why your bones hurt so much. Also, there are alot of natural juice drinks out there like 100% juice that would provide you with alot of vitamins and natural antioxidants.

Keep up the good work and soon you will be completly off the of the oxycodone. Just keep making baby steps forward and don't go backwards.

brian

Closed Thread