It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Taper from oxycodone - round 3

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #61
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User
    Re: Taper from oxycodone - round 3

Hi Brian, coincidentally enough, I am on a prescription anti-inflammatory already....HOWEVER, I went off it a week or so ago, because my stomach was such a mess. I didn't know whether it was the anti-inflamm, or the reduction in oxycodone, so I decided to stop the anti-inflamm too. Well, I do think that's one of the reasons I was aching so much -- actually, my arthritic hands even hurt (and they never hurt before). So I got myself on Prilosec and re-started the anti-inflamm yesterday. I feel much better today. At least I can get out of the chair without a major ordeal. Or maybe it's because my body's leveled off at 2 mg of Oxy. I dunno....so darn confusing. But I don't think it was a good idea to stop anti-inflamm AND Oxy at the same time. Soooo, while I'm feeling a tad better, I'm going to try to get dressed (hair/make-up), go out tonight, do some errands too, and then start tapering down again.

I do take a huge-a** multi-vitamin and two calcium pills daily. I hate taking pills....well now, that just sounded ridiculous, didn't it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #62
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotPerky View Post
    I do take a huge-a** multi-vitamin and two calcium pills daily. I hate taking pills....well now, that just sounded ridiculous, didn't it.
    that made me laugh too funny. At least you are taking pills that help you instead of hurting you at this point. I don't think it would be a good idea to stop the anti-inflammatory either. That would be setting yourself up for a relapse. Just remember that: "our disease wants to see us SUFFER as much as possible and after all that suffering to eventually KILL US".

brian

Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #63
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

I just read that Endo Pharmaceuticals, maker of pain drugs including oxycodone, said second-quarter earnings were 47% below those for the year-earlier quarter. I think it's because I decided to taper.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #64
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Too funny, NP, too funny!

Thanks
    reach

Old 08-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #65
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

You tapering and me off of the Oxy caused the decline!! LOL!!

As I said before, once I came off the Oxy, everything hurt and still does. That's because they are real injuries or real arthritis, that normally hurts and NOW I can feel it. When it hits me bad, I take Advil and it will reduce it down to acceptable pain levels. Nobody said that we would be pain-free. I hurt because of old age and things I did when I was younger that stressed my body. It's normal pain that people my age have and live with. So, I accept it and live with it.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #66
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

I'm down to 1.25 mg today. Not 1.25 pills -- 1.25 MILLIGRAMS. Not that I am bragging, because I cannot believe I am still not able to pull the plug. Nooooo -- there's me, splitting my little 5 mgs of powder into quarters, then splitting the quarter into three doses....basically a little fingertip of dust.....pathetic. And believe it or not, I am still experiencing WDs (albeit mild) -- occasional hot flashes, sneezing fits, watery eyes. I know it's not psychological, because I can't make myself have a sudden sneezing fit. I am soooo afraid to just jump off....even at this ridiculously low dose. But I am reducing .25 mg every day....I'm not holding at any particular dose, because this just has got to end. Yesterday I was able to get myself up and out....today I couldn't imagine going out. So at least there are occasional bright spots. I have a whole backlog of things I have not had the energy to get done during the taper....and I mean some serious things.....so I'm hoping there's no long protracted period of incapacitation after I get finished the taper.

As I mentioned, I've been very withdrawn from family/friends during this time, but I've managed to "put on the happy face" and make some calls to a few strategic people, just so they don't suspect anything's wrong. I have mentioned I'm getting off my "pain medication" and "anti-inflammatories" due to my stomach problems, and that I'm more pain so that's why I've been kind of MIA. Plausible explanation, huh? Certainly have not told them I'm hooked on oxycodone and going through withdrawal! Ha, that's all I'd need -- that rumor circulating around.

Now, I must remind you, I am a total wimp who feels side-effects from everything. Miss Delicate System. You should have seen me trying to get off Cymbalta, after having been on it only three weeks. Hence, even though I am on just a "dusting" of oxy, I will still not be surprised if I feel worse when I'm totally off it.

All right, I'm not gonna post again until I'm done. You guys have gotta be sick of hearing about this by now. Be done with it, woman! :-) (But don't get mad if I write again while I'm plodding along though, OK?)

Old 08-02-2009, 02:16 AM   #67
    kewood
    (female)

kewood HB User

NP,
    Great work! How do you know you're down to 1.25mg? Do you have a tiny scale or are you just cutting teensy pieces off the tablet? I'm very impressed! If you need to keep cutting back more and more and more until you are at 0.1mg before you stop, you go right ahead. You're doing amazingly and I'm really in awe of you! Remember to take all of your vitamins too! I'm the same way about taking honkin' horse pills, I hate it yet I've no trouble at all chewing up 8 or 10 Norco and swallowing that nasty mixture down....since I know what I'll feel like 20 minutes later....but that's the past, for now I am quite content to swallow my horse vitamins and let the subutex dissolve slowly under my tongue!!
    Keep it up and your sense of humor is awesome in all of this. I really believe that laughing at ourselves and eachother to get through this is really healthy for us all!

Take care,
    KEW

Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #68
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Keep going NP, you are doing it and will soon be off of them for good. Once you decide that this is the last pill, then flush the rest of them. You must do that or it will be a relapse waiting to happen. good luck and keep us posted.

brian

Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #69
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

I know I said I wouldn't post again til I'm done my taper, but I'm just giving a quick update. I finally decided to go back and see how long I've been on this never-ending taper. Tomorrow will be a full eight weeks. In honor of the occasion, I will make tomorrow my last dose. I'm taking less than 1 mg now. The thing is, I'm still having WD symptoms like hot flashes, sneezing, watery eyes occasionally, but the main problem is lower back pain and my thighs are really sore, like I walked a mile....so therefore it's difficult to walk at all. But, when you know there's still another "dose" out there waiting (even if it's miniscule), it's hard to just suck it up and move on. I need to get some groceries (I haven't had the energy to go out), take my last dose tomorrow, flush the rest, get the oxy out of my system and start the road to recovery.

When I was in rehab years ago after a rapid detox from methadone, I was a mess for about a month but had no choice -- I had to suck it up. If there's nothing available to take, you've got to force yourself to feel better on your own.

To answer Kewood's question about how I'm splitting the pills -- it's a very scientific process involving a 5-mg oxy capsule, a plate, a razorblade, a calculator, and yellow stickies. Ha ha....no, it's not scientific at all....I just open the capsule, dump the 5 mg onto the plate and try to portion it into fractions as best I can. It's really just dustballs at this point. When I take my dustball, I hope no miniscule particle gets stuck in my teeth -- that could be .000038 mg I'm missing!!!

Finish line in sight -- wish me luck (and strength and willpower), guys!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #70
    ReD4Life
    (female)

ReD4Life HB User

Keep going NotPerky! If you read my thread I started today about my taper update, you will see I made it to the end of my taper 3 days ago and WOOHOOO! it feels so good. I had some darvocet, and it was just sitting there, looking tempting, but I had a rush of willpower and I just grabbed them up went to the bathroom, dumped and flushed. You could do that with all but tomorrow's dose of hydro while you are feeling the strength maybe?
    Congratulations on making it so far. I am amazed that already in 3 days I don't think too much about the pills and when I do, the craving feeling passes quickly. I am glad there are none here to tempt me in my weak feeling moments because most of the time, I feel ecstatic that I don't have to have them anymore!

You are worth SO much more than that poison powder! You have been doing the hardest part in trying to maintain the taper with the pills sitting there tempting you. That 1 mg will not even be missed by your body, and when you can feel that, your mind will follow!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #71
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

YES, it is now time to DO IT!!!!!!! Make sure you flush the rest of the pills after taking that last dose. If you dont' think that you can do it, then have someone else flush them for you. I am very amazed that you have been able to follow the strict taper, especially to something that you were addicted to. That is truly amazing and you are very strong minded and courageous. Keep it up, flush, and don't look back.

brian
    p.s. You can always take something OTC like Tylenol, Advil, Aleve, or just plain old Bayer aspirin and see how that works on the pain, you might be wonderfully surprised.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 PM   #72
    deviphish
    (male)

deviphish HB User

NICE and congratulations for you !!!
    Remember one step at a time and we are all here for you !!!

GOOD LUCK along the way "keep on trucking"

DEv

Old 08-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #73
    NotPerky
    Veteran
    (female)

NotPerky HB User

OK, guys, here we are: Last day of taper. I haven't taken any oxy today, and my final dose will be a miniscule "dustball" of

Old 08-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #74
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Go NP, it's your b-day, we're gonna party like's it's your b-day and you know we don't give a f if it's not your b-day.
    Actually consider this your anniversary day because this is the day that you will be free of the oxy and will consider your clean date (no changing dates). This is it and we are here for you during the sucky mild withdrawal, post acute withdrawal symptoms, etc.

As for the sleep, I have felt this to be a very frustrating part as well. I was taking generic Benadryl(which is in most OTC sleeping pills) to help me sleep. I have also tried Melatonin supplements in the past as well and had good luck. Your brain is probably lacking in Melatonin so supplementing with some of that might be a good idea. Just run it by your doctor or pharmacist first to get their approval. Welcome to the world of "being clean". You have arrived

brian

Old 08-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #75
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Way to go NotPerky!!! We are all so proud of you!! I remember my last dose, but I didn't have the courage to flush the pills and I had two 3-day relapses in the first month. One was craving, the other was for real pain that I had. Not having the pills around is the best thing to do. I still get pain (like I've had the last few days), but I just push through it or if I need something I grab a few Advils to help out. I jumped off at 2.5 mg/day and I didn't really have too bad of withdrawals. My withdrawals were dropping from 10 mg/day to the 2.5 mg. I hope you don't have any since you tapered slowly. Way to go!!

Unfortunately, I hate to break the bad news, but your next phase begins today by staying clean. I found the first month was the worse and each week it seemed to get easier and easier. I know that I'm never out of the woods and that the cravings can reoccur at any time and if and when they do I just need to get over them by staying busy and support. So, we're all here to help you along the next path. I'm really proud of you!!

Closed Thread