It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• I need help, I'm addicted to Nubain...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
    paonessa
    (female)

paonessa HB User
    I need help, I'm addicted to Nubain...

Hello everyone...

For the past six years I have been addicted to Nubain (It's an injectable medication for moderate to severe pain). I want to out. Anyone can help me? PLEASE!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
    readerroz
    (female)

readerroz HB User
    Re: I need help, I'm addicted to Nubain...

Is that an opiate? I'm not familiar with it.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
    paonessa
    (female)

paonessa HB User

Nubain is a synthetic opioid, it's potency is equivalent to morphine. It was prescribed to me six years ago for chronic pain. I started injecting every 8 hours as prescribed but before I knew it, I was already addicted to it. My life has been miserable since then. I would really appreciate any advice o how to stop and how to deal with withdrawal. Please anybody help me....

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Welcome

I am sorry to hear what you are going thru! I have not heard of that drug either so I guess the best advice I can give you is to seek medical attention to get yourself off of this drug. Now, I am not sure of your situation and if that is possible. Maybe you could share a little bit more so we would better know how to assist you.

Being addicted to anything is a living nightmare but it can be overcome. There is hope! There is always hope so don't forget that. What helped me the most in the begining stages before I actually quit was reading all the posts on this board. I read and read and it made me feel not so alone.

This board is great! Stick around and we will be here to support you!

Take care of yourself!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
    paonessa
    (female)

paonessa HB User
    Smile Re: I need help, I'm addicted to Nubain...

Thank you secrets for your words and support. I am really trying to do this on my own. I know it's not gonna be easy, but just like you said, I've been reading other posts and it kind of makes me feel that I am not alone in this living hell (that's the best way to describe what i'm going thru). It's been getting worst because I've been drinking a lot. I pray to God to give me the courage I need to be clean at last...

Old 08-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #6
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

You are welcome my new friend!

I understand doing it on your own.. That was my way of doing it too. Well, not fully on my own because I had my dear friends here on this board but other than that..... I suffered silently in real life. It was so bad at times I thought I might lose my mind but I didn't! You would be amazed at how strong we can be as people..... We just lose sight of that because the drugs are in control. They take over our thinking.... completely at times.

I too will pray that God gives you the courage you need to be clean. To be free from that living nightmare is better than you could ever imagine! So FIGHT, and FIGHT hard because you are SO worth it. The drinking is only going to make it worse. Right now you need clear thinking..... it takes a huge leap of strength to start! I will be right here to hold your hand the whole way thru! When you are ready to jump let me know so I can take my place beside you!

May God's blessings be with you!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
    paonessa
    (female)

paonessa HB User
    Unhappy Re: I need help, I'm addicted to Nubain...

Hello guys! Today is bad, bad, bad...runny nose, wattery eyes, weak, nauseous, diarreah...Last day I injected myself was Saturday night. I have been tossing and turning in bed all night, just thinking how to get my next fix. I really need words of support and wisdom because I feel like I'm breaking apart, please....help me!!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Oh honey,

What a miserable feeling! Boy, have we all been there! It's unexplainably bad! That is for sure..... I hope you are still hanging in there because if you just hold on.... it will start to get better!

Can I ask you a question? Did you stop injecting by choice or because you ran out of meds? This will help me determine how to help you thru it best.

Right now, the pain you are feeling is extreme but it will go away. Your body is just trying to figure out how to work "right" again so in a sense it's rewiring itself and that causes the brain to send these signals thru our bodies that are at times unbearable! I remember how terrible it was. I really do!

Can you give us an update with how you are doing please?

Thinking of you!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
    paonessa
    (female)

paonessa HB User

Hi Secrets:

Today I feel so ashamed of myself. God knows how hard I've been trying to stay away from needles, and do it on my own, without any help. Yesterday night I failed. After three days, I thought I was losing my mind. Got on my knees and prayed for hours, and at the end, I failed. I stopped by choice, because I still had Nubain, but I refused to inject myself again. Today I feel worthless. I think I'm never, ever gonna get over this curse........so sad, so depressed, can't even look at myself in the mirror.......keep praying to God for mercy.......Please my friend, you are the only person in this site that has advised me, please don't give up on me. Hope to read your answer soon. God Bless........

Old 08-11-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hey there!

Shame, what an ugly feeling.... I have been there myself MANY times... Don't worry you are not alone. You may feel like you have failed but you have NOT! You had a slip up! I have had a slip up in recovery! Most people do. What I was told by a lot of people was that having a slip is a learning experience more than anything! It teaches you many things about yourself but the best thing to do even though you feel guilty is to move on from it and forgive yourself. You are only human and addiction is EXTREMELY powerful!!! We win some we lose some but if our eye is on the prize the whole time than we are succeeding and moving forward.

Prayer is a powerful thing and I personally have found it to be very helpful in recovery. A member of this board gave me some great advice when praying abotu our addiction... When praying... ask for your obsession to be removed. I do this over and over and over again every day! It helps it really does!

Wipe those tears and pick yourself up because no matter how you feel right now, I can tell you are a good person! Write some more!!!!! It will help!

I am here for you!

Hugs!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #11
    Wild Irish Rose
    (female)

Wild Irish Rose HB User

Paonessa, I don't know anything about injectables, but is there any way you can lower your dose step-by-step, the way it's possible do do with pills? Maybe then you wouldn't have to have the unbearable WDs and could keep the worst away by tapering down in steps.

Is it possible for you to do this under medical care, like Secrets suggested. I'm just thinking a doctor might be able to come up with a plan for you that would help you get thru this with less discomfort than just going CT.

I also know what you mean about the shame, but just by you wanting to get off this drug, you should be very proud of yourself. That's the first step to getting clean.

Please keep updating, I'm thinking about you, and wishing you the best.

rose

~If you're happy all the time, you lose sight of what really matters***my son Jim

Old 08-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #12
    brianpain33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

The withdrawals are very bad for about a week and you were about half way there. The mental addiction and cravings can be just as bad or even worse than the physical part as you learned pretty quickly. It can really make you feel like you are losing your mind. Before I really knew much about addiction, I was going to commit myself to a mental institution because the cravings were so bad and I thought that I was having a mental breakdown and would go absolutely crazy. I know now that the craving is merely a thought and I have control over what I do about it.. I can focus on the craving which will only make it stronger and last longer until I get to the point of talking myself into using again.

Please try not to beat yourself up to bad over using again. I messed up recently and have not admitted it until NOW. I felt the guilt, the shame, like a failure but I realize that I slipped up and need to hop back into recovery.

If you really decide to try and go cold turkey, then you can't have ANY of the drug around. Get rid of it so you have no access to it. But before you do that get a couple boxes of Immodium(for diahrea). You will need it, plus some soup, vitamins, gatorade, pedialite, and maybe something really light like ramen noodles or some crackers to snack on. You won't feel like eating but you have to try and keep the fluids going, take as much Immodium as needed to stop the diahrea (I was taking 6-8 pills per day). It gets better after about 7 days but you won't feel awhole lot better for about 2 weeks.

Do you have any friends or family around that you could stay with and they could help you? I had to stay at my mom's and could barely do anything. Keep posting and if things get bad, get a doctor to prescribe Suboxone becauase that is always another option to get off the Nubain and it helps to STOP withdrawal and block cravings. Keep fighting, God wants to see us happy and clean.

brian
    p.s. the other option is to tell your doctor about your addiction and get into a rehab facility. I forgot that you are drinking alcohol too which is part of the addiction and you could go into seizures if you stop drinking cold-turkey if you are drinking ALOT every day.

Last edited by brianpain33; 08-11-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
    paonessa
    (female)

paonessa HB User

Brian, Rose & Secrets...

Thanks for your advice. I'm really starting to feel loved, like I've found a new family in you guys. Wanna know something? This is the first time I'm really open about my addiction. Nobody knows about this war inside of me, not my family or friends. My ex-husband was the only one that knew something wrong was happening, and I believe this contributed in our divorce. He could'nt deal with the mood swings and all the ugly things that come with addiction. Yesterday, when I read your posts, I started to cry. For the first time in years I realized I'm not alone. Last night I threw away a vial of Nubain that I still had and all the needles. I felt so strong, so in control. I visited my mom (she's my best friend). She said to me "I don't know what you are going thru, but I want you to know, I'm here for you" and she hugged and kissed me. I felt protected in her warm embrace. Today, once again, I start from cero. GOD IS WITH ME!...I love you all....please, include me in your prayers....

Old 08-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hey Sweetie,

First and foremost I will promise to remember you in my prayers. This entire board is always remembered in my prayers nightly and I also pray special prayers for the people who are suffering the most in withdrawal and just starting out on their journey! So no worries, I have got you covered my friend

I was so happy to read your last post! This is like a family and I am glad you are apart of it! What a treasured addition!

You are not alone! I know we are not there to sit with you and hold your hand and bring you soup but we are right here to support you in any way we can. Your Mother sounds wonderful and that is so great!

CONGRATS for throwing away the Nubain and needles! That must have been so hard because I have flushed pills before and that was SOOOOO HARD that one time I actually cried a little over it. Or maybe a lot over it to be honest.

You are going to have moments of such strength but be prepared that the in control feeling you have now will not always be there.... There will be moments ahead of you that you feel so weak you think you will break but in those moments come here! We will pick you up!

Keep writing and we will keep reading! I am so glad you feel welcomed! It makes my heart feel so warm!

May God give you strength, determination and love for yourself to get you thru this journey!
    XOXOXOX

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hey,

Are you okay? It's been a couple of days since we last heard from you! How are you doing? No matter what the case may be you are always welcome here and I would love to hear from you as I know the others would as well.

Hope you are hanging in there. May God give you the strength, courage and will power to fight this drug! I will be praying for you with my family tomorrow.
    XOXOXOOXXO

Closed Thread