It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Withdrawal from Fentanyl and Norco cold turkey

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
    mamared
    (female)

mamared HB User
    Unhappy Withdrawal from Fentanyl and Norco cold turkey

This is my 2nd day. Day one was pretty mild because I think I still had so much medicine in my system. Today it's tough. I feel so sick and am so tempted to take a Norco. Can a person really do this at home?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Withdrawal from Fentanyl and Norco cold turkey

Hi Maramed

Glad to see you with us.

Boy, Fentanyl is one strong narcotic. I am not sure it is at all wise to try and come off of it cold turkey. The Norco would be hard enough alone, but to come off both at once is a monumental task.

Are you under a doctor's care? I really think you should be to attempt this. A doctor can help. Please don't try this alone at home. The withdrawals will be horrendous.

Get in touch with ytour doctor and set up a plan together. It is the best way to go.

Besy wishes
    reach

Old 10-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Hi mamared - I'm with reachout - have your consulted a doctor about this decision? Fentanyl is about 100x stronger than Percocets and I would expect that the withdrawals would be very severe, especially coming off of both drugs at the same time. You should talk to your physician about this. I would suggest a tapering approach to get off of both of these drugs. Come off of the Fentanyl first and then the Narco.

What made you decide to come off of both drugs at the same time? How are you doing today?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

I agree mamared!!! I would not be doing this without MEDICAL ATTENTION!!! I don't know anything about Fentanyl except that it is really strong stuff... I would not want to stop that cold turkey!!! Go get some help for your own safety!!

Blessings and luck sent your way!

Old 10-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
    melissa512
    (female)

melissa512 HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Withdrawal from Fentanyl and Norco cold turkey

CHECK INTO SUBOXONE TO HELP YOUR WITHDRAWAL.

I used to take morphine for my chronic pain. Anyone who has takens pills /used a patch knows about the addiction associated with this form of treatment for pain. My "tolerance" becuase so high that my doctor took me off the two forms of morphine that I was taking and started me on Suboxone.
    It worked great. I took it for over a year and never built up a tolerance. After stopping the Suboxone I am now currently only taking Tramadol, and it has really helped.

The reason for this post is to warn peole about Fentanyl Patches. Luckily I never had to start using them. If I hadn't had a doctor start me on Suboxone I might be using them now.
    My Dad died March 17th of this year, cause of death: Accidental Death due to Accute Fentanyl Intoxication. When a patient uses the 75mg patch after 24 hours his blood level should have been 1.1 to 2.6. My Dad's blood level was 7.9, all from the one patch that he had on at the time.

Please consider this when talking to your doctor about your pain management. Coming from me, someone that is constantly in pain even with the tramadol.

I WOULD RATHER BE ALIVE AND IN PAIN THAN DEAD FROM THE MEDICATION FOR THE PAIN!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
    mamared
    (female)

mamared HB User

Well I made it to the third day and the withdrawals along with my back pain that I take the medication for became so bad that I went to the ER (after calling my MD) and now they have put me back on my meds until I can talk to my doctor about help. It's hard, I have back pain and need relief but can't stand being on all this pain medication all the time. I see my MD on the 3rd.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
    mamared
    (female)

mamared HB User

I agree about rather being alive than hurt by the medication. I will ask my doctor about the suboxone and see what he says. I also want to pursue treatment for my back to get rid of the original problem. So sorry to hear about your dad dying from the Fentanyl. That scares me to death, it does seem like it works better at times than others and I have wondered about fluctuating dosing.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
    Dale38
    (male)

Dale38 HB User

i TOOK ZANAX FOR TEN YEARS AND STOPED COLD TURKEY IT TOOK ME ABOUT 5 DAYS OF HELL . NO SLEEP AND BAD THOUGHTS IF YOU CAN CALL A DR AND GET SOME HELP I DID IT BUT MAN IT WAS TUFF GUESS ITS HOW STRONG WILLED YOU AREhOPE YOUR OK, AND YOUR BRAIN NEVER FORGETS

Old 10-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Hey guys, just wanted to point out that yes fentanyl is very strong and is approximately 80 to 100 times more than morphine, it isn't given that way. That's why it is given in micograms. For example, the 25mcg patch/h is equal to 30-80mg of percocet. What that means is that the patch puts out 25mcg of fentanyl every hour and over a 24 hour period that equals 30-80mg of percocet. So in an equianalgesic dose it's not far off the other meds.

The reason why the patches can be an issue if misused is that it holds 3 days worth of meds in it. If someone would take 3 days worth of morphine or percocet it would be way too much.

Not denying that it is a strong and powerful med, just putting it into perspective.

Thanks
    Melissa

Old 10-21-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
    Dale38
    (male)

Dale38 HB User

i KNOW I AM ON PAIN MEDS ALSO AND WONDERING HOW LONG? gOOD LUCK FRIEND ON YOUR ISSUES

Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
    kekette12
    (female)

kekette12 HB User

I have not written on this board for a long long time----I was put on Duragesic (fent) for my failed back fusion and fibromyalgia back in 2005....I was on fent for well over 18 months....lost my insurance and could not afford to see the doc, or pay for the meds....plus I HATED being tied to a prescription yet again...I went cold turkey off 75mcgs----If you can afford it, and have a doc willing to help do NOT do this yourself....again...do NOT do it alone. I was miserable sick for well over 5 months....yes...5 months before I could eat normal food without barfing. The extreme withdrawls lasted 4 weeks....yes, that's 4 weeks of insomnia to the point of hallucination, insanely bad diarhea, puking my guts out for no reason what so ever---blood pressure soaring, heart almost gave out, it was pure pure hell. If not for my wonderful parents pulling me through I would have commited suicide...and that's no lie. Fent withdrawls are nasty---please don't do it yourself.....I havent even thought of looking at this board in years....I come here tonight to find your story...hopefully you get what I'm saying...please dont do this alone!! Good luck...and definitely get off the fent if you don't need it----this is one tough bird to kill!!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #12
    tyvin
    (female)

tyvin HB User

Beware! Going off two meds such as these at the same time gots my legs crawling. The Patch will be the hardest to go off. And if your going to do it, do the patch first. Fent patches 1/2 life are 72 hours. So the first couple days, hey, you think what's the big deal. Then horrifying reality sets in. I would imagine the norco is for break through pain. If you want to be clean for an employment drug test, don't worry, you don't have to stop taking anything that has a legal perscription. What happens is the testing drug company runs the urine and records it. It is the law that the drug company call you first to verify if you have legal Rxs.
    They will then contact your MD for verfication. Ater the results are sent back to the employer it will be negative for drugs. No employer can make you disclose what kind of meds you might be on (privacy). Also people whom are on methadone(with no legal Rx) should not worry too much due to the test for methadone level is super costly. The bummer about methadone is its 1/2 life can go up to 36hrs staying in the blood up to 2 to 3 weeks. Anyway, are you going off because there is no pain? If there is pain, hold up your head proud and deal with your meds. I might have digressed from your post, but it is still good information. Every person I have read about having questions/experience developing into withdrawal, I will write to the people remebering my own induction into Hell. There is a large group of us that are connected through this Withdrawal Phenomenom. We need each other; We are each other. May the Gods bless you and yours and let's have faith in ourselves and each other. I emailed other people I know about you, so please know there are many positive people in Hawaii supporting you with good thoughts. With love and hope.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tyvin For This Useful Post:
    Inpaininoregon (10-11-2012)
    Closed Thread