It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Day 5 without Norco!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
    tx05
    (female)

tx05 HB User
    Talking Day 5 without Norco and doctors are telling me I have the flu

I never would have thought that I'd be addicted to Vicodin. I remember the first couple times I was prescribed this drug and how sick it would make me and here I am 10 years later with an addiction to this drug.
    I've been taking Norco's almost everyday for the last 2 or more years, anywhere from 1-5 a day. It all started with Soma's for my scoliosis, when I built up an immunity to those over years I started on vicodin. At fist only when I was in pain.....then before I knew it I was taking them first thing when I woke up because the nausea and diahrea would set in like a freight train. In the last 6 months I've had 2 outbreaks of shingles so that didn't help my situation. Like other people's stories they made me super happy, lot more productive, outgoing and just plain great. I knew I was addicted to them for awhile and didn't see it as a problem until recently. I decided I would not be controlled by them anymore. So when I ran out of my prescription this Saturday I went cold turkey, not knowing the withdrawls were going to be so awful.

Day 1-3 seem to have been the worst for me but I'm still dealing with a great amount of discomfort. Not that much depression.
    Went to my doctor thinking I had the flu. The next day I had to go to the hospital for fluids. The hospital did say I have the flu. I didn't want to say anything to my PCP or the ER about my addiction. I wanted to discuss that with my pain management doctor and still haven't been able to.
    So I guess my question is are the doctor's wrong? And how long will this last?

Last edited by tx05; 10-29-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: More info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
    tx05
    (female)

tx05 HB User
    Re: Day 5 without Norco!!!

I've had the flu plenty and I don't remember it lasting this long. So crap I have the flu and withdrawls? I just don't believe it.

Last edited by tx05; 10-29-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
    mel486
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mel486 HB User

Hi tx05 - welcome to the group. You most probably are experiencing withdrawals, which mimic flu-like symptoms - vomiting, diarrhea, shaking, achy muscles - especially thighs and back, yawning, goose bumps, plus others symptoms. They usually last 5-10 days and you should start to see them decrease soon. The next stage you will go into is the physical and mental cravings. Once you get through the withdrawals, post back and we can help you with the next round. It's nasty in the beginning and takes a while to really claim that your are detoxed. Good Luck!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
    tx05
    (female)

tx05 HB User
    Re: Day 6 without Norco

Thank you so much for the support denon.
    I've never even been in a forum before.
    The hardest thing for me right now is being sick in the morning and the insomnia. I would love to get a good nights sleep but I know that will come in time. After all this misery that comes with these nasty pills it would be insane for me to take another. Not worth it. Do you have any advise on what can help with the insomnia?

Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

tx,

Welcome! GOOD FOR YOU! I am so sorry you feel so crummy though! Been there and done that and I feel so much sympathy for anyone going thru it. I had such a hard time with not being able to sleep and then having to get up every darn day for work... I was a train wreck.

Sleeping.... Hot baths before bed to calm the legs and body.. As hot as you can stand them. Throw in some epsom salt too for good measure.. It's good for the muscles. Then, my Dr. at first gave me 10 xanax to try to help with the anxiety and sleep. it didn't do much but it helped a bit. Otherwise, I used unisom, any other over the counter sleep med. I usually doubled the dose to even come close to making me sleep. (not sure if that is safe) And usually I only slept for short intervals.. It was so frusterating. I then would get up and take a middle of the night bath... If you have a hot tub or anything like that.. UTILIZE IT. I would have killed for one thru it all but no luck I made due without it.

In the morning when it was time for work.... I would drink coffee to try and get me going... I was exhausted the whole time. I cried a lot but got thru it and I was and am still proud of how far I went.

Granted I am taking meds now for a knee injury but have come to the conclusion that it hurts while I take the meds anyways so I am trying to take the least amount possible because I know what a demon this can turn into and I can't go thru that again... I just can't.

POST as much as you can.. That helped me and still does. I hope some of this information helped you.. Ask any others questions you have and we will do our bests to help

Take care and God bless!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
    perkinsk
    (male)

perkinsk HB User

tx05-
    Just finalized by tapering plan with my doc today. I went from 60mg/day to 40 in 9days. Now 40mg to 20 mg/day in 19 days. At 20mg he wants me to jump off and CT. He has supplied me with all the necessary pharma to make it thru the withdrawals. (Paroxetine HCL 10 mg - relaxant, twice a day at ground zero detox, Clonidine HCL 0.1 mg for high blood pressure during detox - helps you sleep at night, and lots of vitamins for the next two weeks leading up to the event. Hope your doc did the same. Keep me informed of your progress. Keep the faith.

Closed Thread