It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Need to know if i could be addicted to this

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
    animallover1009
    (female)

animallover1009 HB User
    Need to know if i could be addicted to this

I am not sure if it is even possible but i was wondering, does anybody know if it is possible to be addicted to the Vicks nasal inhalers taht are meant for stuffy noses? I have been using this every day at least 2x a day for the past year or two(i am not sure honestly i didnt even notice it until a few days ago.) if you know if it is possible please let me know and also, i would like to find out what side effects could come with using it so much.

p.s. people-
    sorry if this is in the wrong spot this is my first time on this website so im not sure where the best spot was to put this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
    JD57
    (male)

JD57 HB User
    Re: Need to know if i could be addicted to this

It is possible to be addicted to anything.
    I was addicted to the nose spray to clear a stuffy nose several times in my life.
    This got to the point I was using a bottle every week.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
    caberg
    Veteran
    (male)

caberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB Usercaberg HB User

I doubt it's physically addictive, but more like a habit. Like a habit of biting your fingernails. Personally, I would be concerned with long-term use of any over-the-counter medication, unless specifically prescribed by a doctor (even then, I would be reluctant).

Old 12-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

A few years back, my brother-in-law became depemdemt on on e of the over the counter nasal sprays. I can't remember which one. Anyway, the point is that my sister-in-law somply called a doctor's office and told them her husband needed to see the doctor because he was addicted to nasal spray. No one at the office, including the doctor even blinked an eye. The doctor simply worked with my brother-in-law and helped him to get off the spray. My brother-in-law needed the help and was sucessful in getting off.

Good luck
    reach

Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
    BrittleBones
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

You can count me among the nasally impaired!! I have been using Vicks 12-hour Sinus Spray for 15 years!!! Actually, I liked this brand because it contained menthol vapors which added to the overall effectiveness of the product. Wouldn't you know that they re-formulated this otc drug and took OUT the soothing menthol vapors!! So now I have to use the new nose spray and then use Vicks Vapo Inhaler (the one that's the size of a lipstick and you place it in the opening to your nose and inhale) just to get the "soothing vapors". If I don't do that, the stuff doesn't work at all. Now, I'm sure most of you are shaking your head and wondering what kind of an idiot would go through all the trouble and expense of combining two nasal sprays to get the desired effect. Well.....your reading her post. Just can't breathe without my nose spray. So yes, it isn't exactly an addiction but it becomes necessary to use it over and over again because you develop a "rebound" effect. The answer to getting off "the stuff" is to see your doc and get a prescription for a steroid-like nose spray that won't do a darn thing for you until you've used it for a week or more. But it DOES work to free you from this "addiction". Gotta run - need to give myself a spritz of spray!! BrittleBones

Closed Thread