It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Methadone...Cold Turkey?? Need Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
    Deerod
    (female)

Deerod HB User
    Unhappy Methadone...Cold Turkey?? Need Help!

Hello all, I am new to this forum and I need some advice. Here's my story.

First let me start by saying that I am a recovering methamphetamine addict. I was hooked for years and one day I got sick and tired of being sick and tired so I quit cold turkey. It was hard, rough, the withdrawls were something I will never forget but it has been 14 years! Time flies by and if I ever did anything right in my life, it was getting off drugs! Now I have a family member that needs help and although I do a lot of research and I realize everyone suffers withdrawls differently, I find myself a little lost.

My loved one was addicted to pain pills which led to heroine. Boy was that rough! I got him into the Methadone maintenance program and he of course promised he would be off real soon which didn't happen. It has been just about 5 years and yes, he has managed this last year to taper down now to 15mg recently a few days ago. It has been a slow taper. I believe he was up to 125 mg. He is also feeling what he says is withdrawls now. Back aches and can't sleep and mood swings with a bit of depression. I honestly thought tapering would take away withdrawls but I guess I am wrong.

We have discussed Seboxone numerous times since the program he is on says this drug takes you off methadone completely and it is a fast taper. In my research this evening I have found out this isn't true and a few places I called said that Methadone doc's and Sub doc's are one in the same. They try to keep you addicted for the money.

Here's the BIG problem now. I lost my job last week and I am the only one working. I pay 98.00 a week for his methadone and I have no more money. I got him into a psychiatrist today and explained his whole history including the methadone. She ignored the methadone and prescribed him Cybalta for depression. She, as a psychiatrist CAN...I believe prescribe Seboxone right? Why she didn't, I have no idea. Do I need to address this with her? We are running out of time and can he quit cold turkey from 15 mg if needed or are we in big trouble.....

Is it best to go with Seboxone or cold turkey?? Please help and sorry for such a long letter.....

Deerod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
    Deerod
    (female)

Deerod HB User
    Re: Methadone...Cold Turkey?? Need Help!

Well I was hoping someone...anyone knew a bit about methadone addiction and if quitting cold turkey would be a major problem on a low dose, (15 mg). Also, if I should get his new psychiatrist involved in this recovery effort and prescribe seboxone. Maybe there is a better way to go...I just don't know anymore and am completely confused. Any help or suggestions would be so much help right now for me. I am for some reason having a hard time coping especially since I have been the one working, up until recently, and struggling to keep this family afloat. Now I am becoming depressed.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

hang in there-someone will answer as soon as someone who knows about it comes aboard.
    Takes a few days sometimes

Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

im on 100mg of methadone...was on it back in 1984 for short heroin addiction.....swore id never take it again but now am terminal and need it for pain...i did the suboxone/subutex/bupenorphine thing for couple years...had to detox off of methadone 2 times in life...1984 i didnt sleep for 12 days...took a month/half before i was cleaned out....back in 2005 i was on for chronic pain and had to detox off.mistaken took suboxone 1 day into not havin my methadone and went into acute w/d's...thats when bam-your in bathroom w/diahrea,goose flesh,leg cramps everything...took me a good month half to two months before my system was cleaned out.....my suggestion is hes down this far and sounds like hes gonna have to get off is not a choice of his cause your buying....he has to want to quit and is low enough on dosage where he aint gonna die,however everyone is different...what always got me is how afraid us addicts always are of w/d ing...if we could just say im gonna feel like crap here it goes,and suffer for a week or threee,life is there and is so much better than living the horror of addiction,trying to cop the dope,ect......i wouldnt do the sub thing again cause the w/d's are the same as any other opiate and can be as long as methadone w/d's...it kinda prolongs everything includidng the madness and then ya relapse if you are week.....chefob1

Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #5
    katlovesdogs
    (female)

katlovesdogs HB User

WD CT from Methadone is going to take a while as the Methodone has a long half life ( stays in body long time and takes long for half of the med to be used up ). That is why it is ut used to help heroin addicts. They can take methadone and not crave anything for up to 24 hours.
    Suboxone works on another part of the brains opiate receptors, blocks all cravings PLUS has Naloxone so if one took a pain pill they wouldn't get any effects of the pill.
    Some people state Sub itself can be addicting which is true since it too works on opiate receptors. The problem is finding a Doctor certified to presribe Suboxone. It isn't like regular narcotics at all. Some ER'd have Doctors who are licensed to prescribe, some Pain clinics as well since a lot of time they will wean their patients off narcotics. Even with Sub it has to be a a gradual wean ing so the WD;s aren't horrible. If your friend has any methadone left, he may want to start a fast taper. Anything is better than nothing at all. Stock up on Benadryl, Immodium Aleve to prepare for WD's.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
    Deerod
    (female)

Deerod HB User

Hi chefob1..
    Thanks for the reply. Appreciate that. Sounds like you are very familiar with the whole methadone/Sub and detoxing thing. I'm sorry to hear about you're cronic pain, that can be rough and I hope whatever is working, helps you.

I believe he is ready or atleast he says he is...well sometimes anyways if that makes sense at all. It really depends on the day or mood. If all I know he may be telling me what I want to hear. I carry him for a week at a time for his Methadone meaning he picks up once a week. I told him on Monday (pick up day)that he should start the taper and he claims it is such a small drop already in his bottle. I'm not sure he realizes how serious this is that this Sunday night is it. I know he will withdrawl and it know it may be harsh, I did withdrawl off crystal meth 14 yrs ago and it was real hard but I had the mindset of...I am done. I never looked back. You are right, he has to be ready and I hate to know what will happen if he is not and is just saying he is. I try not to believe that a person on methadone likes it that much to not realize what life is all about drug free. Some stay on the rest of their lives. How they afford it, I don't know. It has financially burdened us for years now. I know I may sound selfish but at times I can't help but wonder if I could have saved both my cars I lost because with 400.00 I could have made the payments. Who knows and right now my main concern is his health. Methadone is a topic of our daily conversations and I hate it. If he could only realize that there is a whole new world out there and waking up feeling good and ready to start the day without worrying that if he dosen't take his meth he can't function. Let's just hope like you mentioned....he is strong mentally.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
    Deerod
    (female)

Deerod HB User

Hi katlovesdogs...
    Cute screen name, I love dogs too and have a few I have Border Collies and an American Eskimo!
    Well I guess Suboxone is out of the question now. I was going to try to take the money from the Methadone and pay for that instead, that never happened. He does have Benadryl so that's good. I will have to pick up the Immodium and the Aleve. I have been told by him that the bone pain or what he says is like electric jolts going threw his legs is the worse part of it. I know the feeling, I remember. I am also assuming the Aleve may help. Also, from what I have been reading...I would also assume that hot baths and showers help as well. Another issue that I forgot to mention is that I don't have health insurance and I researched treatment facilities but I have yet to find one that dosen't want payment or insurance. Stuck between a rock and a hard place as the saying goes. I think I will call our local hospital and maybe they have some advice as to where he could go. Thank you very much for your advice, appreciate that.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where he could go or where to look please let me know.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
    katlovesdogs
    (female)

katlovesdogs HB User

Hot showers help as does baths, Imoodium actually will help some with WD's as it does something to the opiate receptors. Benadryl helps with sleep. There are teas that are good... Sleepy Time teas with Cammomile helps with sleep.
    A short stint on Sub will be fine but like all opiates after a while, your body craves it. Some people have whittled down to specks as they tapered off

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM   #9
    youngone00
    (male)

youngone00 HB User

Hi, your best bet is to talk to him and get him into a detox/rehab. I know you said you looked into a few places and they all want insurance/payment, but there is other options. Call your county health department. Explain he is addicted to methadone and needs help getting off, and they should be able to get him in some place either in or close to your area pretty much immediatly.

Closed Thread