It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Home opiate detox

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #1
    KingOfNY1216
    (male)

KingOfNY1216 HB User
    Home opiate detox

Hello, I'm new to this blog and I am only here because I have no one else to talk to for the time being. My name is Seth and I am a 23 year old opiate addict, I have been messing with OC 80mg and Roxycontin 30 mg on an off for about a year. I had experimented in the past but as of the past 6 months it has gotten way out of control and I have had enough. I want to stop in the worst way and I believe my only option is to do it cold turkey at home. I have a part time job that I only work 2 or 3 days a week so I feel that is something that will not get in the way much. My mother passed away when I was a teenager and live with my father. He is all I have left and have ****** him off beyond belief, but I know that under all the horrible things that have happened as of late he still loves me and wants to help. I have spent all my money on this and simply am drained not only financially but emotionally. The shi* really hit the fan tonight and that is why I am on this blog. Tomorrow will be the day when I wake up and actively start trying to quit opiates cold turkey. Any advise or kind words someone could give me would be really helpful as I start my journey to recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Home opiate detox

Hello Seth

It is good to meet you and know that there is a desire to stop the opiate abuse. In all honesty, it is not an easy task at all, but with the right motivation, it can undoubtedly be done. I used slow tapers to come off opiates and then benzos. However, many also choose cold turkey as the path and that is fine.

First thing I would suggest is that you read the second thread on this board titled, "Sample Home Detox." It is actually written for a cold turkey detox although I also used many of the suggestions there on my tapers.

The physical symptoms will be the consuming ones during the first week... diarreha, restless legs, sleeplesness and anxiety are usually the most pronounced. After the 5th day or so, a period of depression will set in as the brain rebalances itself to produce chemicals that do the job the opiates had taken the place of during use. Understanding why the depression is upon you allows you to fight it. Lots of physical activity is about the best way to combat the depression.

Detox is the first part of the process.... aftercare of some kind needs to be the second part or falling back into addiction is almost a sure thing. NA, AA, private counseling... whatever might work for you. Every addict has inside himself a grief, a hurt, an issue that we do not want to deal with, but must in order to move on in our lives. It is vital that we take care of the issues. Aftercare also provides the tiome for a change in thinking. Drug abuse is a coping strategy... and a crummy one. We need to teach our brains a better way to cope and think during stress. For me, a counselor was able to help me work on this.

I wish you well and hope you keep in touch with this board.

All best wishes
    reach

Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #3
    KingOfNY1216
    (male)

KingOfNY1216 HB User

I can't begin to tell you how much your kind and encouraging words mean to me. I hav barely spoken to my father in 2 days and I feel this blog can help me get out my feelings. The reason I'm not tapering is because quite frankly I don't have that option. I am financially strained and can't even afford the drugs even if I wanted them. If I do get some money together I will re fill my Xanax prescrition as I feel this will help me. I have detoxed once before, but it was only after a couple of months of straight use so it probably wasn't as bad as what I am/ what Iam about to go through after a solid 6-8 months of abuse every day. Any ideas on what to expect since I feel that compared to most stories I hear, my drug use has been for a fairly short period of time. Do you think it might not be as bad as someone who has been using for let's say several years? Any other advise would e greatly appreciated. It's day 1 for me and I don't feel terrible but I am definately craving. I slept literally all day and I will probably be awake all night as a result of that. I know this time that I haveto stop no matter what and the first initiative I have taken is basically telling my friends that I was getting high with what I plan to do and that they aren't going to be seeing much of me anymore. Thanks again for your kind words and I will be updating this everyday until I feel that I am nearly better.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

Any ideas on what to expect since I feel that compared to most stories I hear, my drug use has been for a fairly short period of time. Do you think it might not be as bad as someone who has been using for let's say several years?

King, I would say to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. After 6 months, the opiates have already embedded into muscle and bone. The brain will send out 'search parties' looking for any remnants. This can cause some physical discomfort and anxiety. Spend as much time as possible reading and learning here about the process of withdrawal. Understanding why symptoms are occuring goes a long, long way in being able to handle them. Also, as far as the symptoms, try not to think of them as symptoms of withdrawal as much as symptoms of healing. Each symptom we endure brings us a step closer to restoration and healing. Every day you will be gettingstronger and better.

Prepare for the bouts of anxiety by practicing breathing techniques and using exercise to help them pass. Anxiety will not kill us, although it can feel that way as we endure it.

I am proud of you for saying adios to friends that use. I am not dismissing them as worthless, but they have no place in your life if you intend to get sober and stay sober.

Please look into some NA or AA meetings. The support you will find in them can help enoumously.

Stick to it... you can do this.
    reach

Old 04-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
    KingOfNY1216
    (male)

KingOfNY1216 HB User

It's bedtime for me on day 2 and I feel ok. I have been craving all day but other than that have not experienced true wd symptoms. My father and I spoke all day and that alone makes me feel better and he said he would do everything he can to help me. He gave me an ambien to help with sleep tonight and I feel so much better having taken it. Is re filling my Xanax prescription a good idea? I do admit I have the tendency to abuse them but they will help. I suppose tomorrow is another day as I will more than likely start to feel the physical symptoms. I already am in a sense because had I not been given the ambien to sleep I would be up all night craving and also because of the fact that I've slept so mich through day 1. I will keep this updated every day. Thanks or being here.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #6
    Secrets1983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Secrets1983 HB User

Hey King,

WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME!!! So glad you found us. Detoxing is a miserable physical experience but it's also a leerning experience of a lifetime!!! I swear, I remember detoxing like it was yesterday and it gives me goose bumps all over my body and I am so thankful for the memories! Mostly keeps me on the straight and narrow.

I wanted to wish you well and also tell you that I am praying for you. I pray for your strength, your willingness to learn more about yourself and for endurance!!!!! Please write as much down here as you can because it does help clear your mind. I have probably written millions of words while I have worked on my recovery.

It's nice to meet you. Hang in there!

Blessings.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #7
    KingOfNY1216
    (male)

KingOfNY1216 HB User

Hey everyone, this is going to be a short post since I'm not feeling too well right now. I feel ok but have had all the basic physical side effects such as sweats diareah and just all over uncomfortableness. A frend of mine gave me 5 suboxone. I'm hesistant to take one because I know even though it can stop withdrawal symptoms and make you feel normal it's also another opiate. I do not want to go from being hooked on one opiate to another. I have five 8mg sublingual tablets. I was thinking if I start taking them tomorrow morning I can slowly taper down over a 5 day period or longer and go from 40mg that I have total and start with a full one on day one and go down from there as needed. Any advise in this? Thanks again for all the kind words and support.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
    marinella
    (female)

marinella HB User

Seth, you should not go cold turkey, it's not a good idea, since you work part time you should be able to take a few days from work and sign your self in into a detox center that usually provides free detox, they work , <edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-06-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 04-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #9
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Seth

Honey, I have got to say to you in all honesty.... do not self medicate with Suboxone or anything else. Yes, it may help but there will also be a withdrawal from it. Even more importantly, self-medicating is what landed you in this place in your life. All addicts are self-medicators, regardless of what sunstance we choose.

The real need is to get off the drugs and work on why they became a coping stategy for us. What hiiden issue is not being dealt with. The death of your mom? ( death was a large part of my abusing). Fear of something?

Seth, please, please listen to the advice... until the underlying issues are dealt with, addiction will keep a terrible grip on us. Now, as you are withdrawaing, is the time to start working on the issues of your life.

Manana
    reach

Old 04-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
    texoma20
    (male)

texoma20 HB User

i feel for you,a guy told me lyrica was amazing for withdrawls from opiates you have to up the dosege alot,i have took it and it helps with the fits,i will pray for you

Old 04-29-2010, 03:07 AM   #11
    BB07
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

depending on what dose your body has become used to you must titrate down from there.
    decrease the dose daily down to 0. you will feel sick for a few days, w possible vomiting, diarreah, and sleeplessness. most people need help to do this. you should do this under the care of a doctor.

good luck

Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
    onedayatatime22
    (female)

onedayatatime22 HB User

hello kingofny, i have just read your story of home detox, well i did the same thing but i quickly tapered and now completed and approx 3wks clean, did it on my own and i worry that i havent seen any more replies or questions from you, i pray that u did it but can u let us know how u r doing...my prayers r with ya bud....u can do it.....

Closed Thread