It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• "What about mixing Adderall, Xanax, Vicodin, beer,.."

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
    Jackbeanstalk
    (male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
    "What about mixing Adderall, Xanax, Vicodin, beer,.."

...pot, and SSRI's? My brother (who went to Germany for 2 years in the Army) came back about 10 years ago and seemed to be different, distant and moody. After being checked out by the Dr.,s, he was diagnosed w./PTSS, ADD, and some chronic pain and Depression. They put him on Adderall 30mg.X3 a day, Prozac 10mg., Wellbutrin 300mg., Xanax 0.5X4 a day. The Pain Dr. put him on Hydrocodone 5/325mg.X4 a day. He drinks 10-12 beers a day and smokes weed. His worried wife showed me his scripts and told me the rest. This has gone on for a few years now, he goes "in to hiding" where we hardly hear from him for a month or more, his tolerant wife let's us know things, but I'm wondering what all this will do to him. He's done "handyman" work with no regular job for years, most likely because of all the stuff he's taking. After reading some of the posts on this board, it's scaring me, wondering how come he isn,t sick or dying or going to just drop dead, yet he can still work a hard manual labor job when he has to and never gets sick. Anybody got info on this scary situation? Jack Beanstalk

Last edited by Jackbeanstalk; 04-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
    AnotherDayDone
    (female)

AnotherDayDone HB User
    Re: "What about mixing Adderall, Xanax, Vicodin, beer,.."

I'm sorry for your family, this is a tough one.

Mixing alcohol with any of those meds is a dangerous and it's by pure luck he isn't dead. Not only can he go to sleep and not wake back up because the mixture can make you stop breathing but the alcohol is a depressant so he's making himself more depressed which probably causes him to drink again to numb the pain. That is a lot of beers a day...I'm on a similar cocktail of medications and my PsyD told me it's like a death wish, I'm playing with fire when I drink any alcohol at all.

Can you get him help, he desperately needs some intervention. His wife is right to very concerned.

Is it the same Dr who prescribed him all those meds? Obviously the Dr doesn't know about the alcohol intake. His wife should call the Dr to discuss it with him and see what the next step should be.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
    Jackbeanstalk
    (male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User
    Re: "What about mixing Adderall, Xanax, Vicodin, beer,.."

As far as I know, the same Dr. prescribes all his Meds (it's a VA Dr.) and I don't think he knows about the weed and beer but it sounds like he needs to. I have tried talking to his wife about him, she's not familiar with most of his situation because she has a slight case of Downs Syndrome and processes things in a different way. She can't fully comprehend things pertaining to his problem so we sort of look after them but it's getting harder as we all (meaning his 2 brothers and 2 sisters) have our own situations to deal with and we just can't keep up with it all. We have wondered and worried about him just going to sleep and not waking up but we can't keep tabs on him, our own families, and our own obligations to them. I thought about sending a letter to his Dr. but I don't know if that's the way to go or what. Thanks for the response, JB

Last edited by Jackbeanstalk; 04-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Closed Thread