It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Oxycodone/Oxycontin dependence help please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
    musicman3
    (male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User
    Re: Oxycodone/Oxycontin dependence help please

Jeff, Take immodium. It will help and it does not effect your withdrawal. I would rather you take the immodium than take the opiate to get you through!! Immodium has always helped the bathroom situation for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

Thanks, maybe I'll try the immodium. As for the previous poster's recommendation of aspirin PM with the muscle relaxant. Robax has the same thing, which I had considered trying, but in my daze (really really hazy, and the ativan probably doesn't help that) I've been a bit concerned about mixing medications and keeping track of when I've administered them.

I may try the robax or aspirin PM for the muscle relaxant if the restlessness continues into the night tonight though.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
    musicman3
    (male)

musicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB Usermusicman3 HB User

I cant wait to put myself through this next week again! I know exactly how you feel. The reslestness is awful and draining. I couldnt even play a game on the computer. I have xanax and ambien to help me through and I will not have to worry about work because I am off for 2 weeks.

My main issue is I get so dehydrated that I end up in the ER. I had to go there last week because I couldnt keep anything down. I told them I had my yearly anxiety attack/ gastroentirits. So they fluid me up and give me IV benzos to relax me. So I am just going to have to make sure that I drink fluids and try to eat no matter how much it is going to suck.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
    needshelpchris
    (female)

needshelpchris HB User

Jeff, your story is similar to mine.....and let me tell you, I had my appt thursday (had to be opiate free for 24hours prior) and started Suboxone.......I am ME again!!! Go get yourself help, you will be so happy you did just don't wait 7 years like I did.......

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-17-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #20
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

The problem with Suboxone and Methadone as far as I know is that you have to be tested and have opiates in your system before they'll agree to put you on a regimen. I know that's true of methadone where I live, but not sure about suboxone. Also, I can get methadone from "other methods" if required. I have a friend who uses said methadone to get through the first days of a WD.

Somehow I feel like I'm far enough along that I should just power through it. I just hit the 48 hour mark and by pretty much everything I've read online, it doesn't seem to get any WORSE after this for most people, just how long it lasts is up for debate.

On a side note that's probably related to the WD, I'm getting some really strange urges and sensations. Not really bad, just strange. The two most compelling are:
    1. Sex drive increase x100. I'm currently single and wouldn't have the energy to do anything about it anyway, but still pretty strange.
    2. I have an almost unsupressable urge to write music. I play the guitar and write music occasionally but I haven't in some time. For some reason I have an urge to do it but I'm way too exhausted.

I may actually pick up the guitar the next time I'm up for a bio break and see if playing helps at all.

I've also had some weirdly euphoric feelings. Not like a drug induced euphoria, but the feeling you get when everything is just working out really well in your life. Kind of like an excitement but without the nervousness....

Either way it's a pretty strange experience. I'm sure the things I mentioned above are a byproduct of my brain trying to function normally again, but it's pretty interesting nonetheless.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

Oh musicman, also about your dehydration, I'm sure you've already tried the following, but in case there are any new ideas, they might help you. These experiences come from one time years ago where I contracted e.coli. I didn't know what it was and it was 2 days before I finally went to the emergency room (and another week and a half in the ER of utter hell). During the time before I went into the ER, I was vomiting or dry heaving every 3-5 minutes without a break. I also had the runs very badly. One of those "sitting on the toilet while holding a bucket" moments. Both of these things obviously are a recipe for severe dehydration which I knew was a possibility.

The great thing about water is that it passes through the stomach without being digested. This means that even keeping down water for a few minutes before vomiting will actually get you some needed water.

Try soups if you can eat at all. Jello is another great one as it's almost all water. Also ice cubes if you have nothing else. For me, there's something about the liquid being really cold that helps for some reason. Those giant freezies were a lifesaver.

For any extended period of time, water alone is probably not enough in that state. You need electrolytes. One thing I've always wanted to try is making gatorade popsicles or cubes.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
    kaus
    (female)

kaus HB User

okay so reasoning for your day 1 walk in the park... simply because you probably still have enough of the oxy in your system to keep you feeling not too bad... as the days go and so do the oxys, the worse the withdrawls will be..... understand? as the oxys go out of your system you will feel worse.. yes 72 hours is the timeline of it getting out of your system but ... being someone that was also addicted to the oxys, and have gone through it time and time again i will give you MY advice and you can chose what you would like to do with it....... IF... you can do it "cold turkey" all the power to you , but i dont know anything about your situation : like how many mgs you have been using or how long you have been addicted to them.. i will give you my experience... Last october i found myself in a complete disaster and landed myself in jail ( lets just say because of the oxys) i ended up being in jail for 31 days before i got out on bail... i did my last 40 , 20 minutes before i got arrested.. so my night in the holding cell wasnt soo bad, the next day i spent the day in court and was transported to the jail.. by the time i got there i was feeling the withdrawls a little more. i went to sleep for the night and by morning i was a mess.. i dont need to explain the withdrawls because you already know what they are .. the jail gave me a cocktail to help with the withdrawls (immodium, gravol, and something else to help with the restlessness .. i cant remember what it was called) they gave that to me for 14 days, by then .. it was over.... HOWEVER it was only the PHYSICAL part of it that was over..i still thought about it all day every day... by the time i got out (31 days later) i wasnt thinkin about it as much and i promised myself i WAS NOT GOING TO DO IT.... at day 45 . i ran into an old friend... they offered.... i took... put myself right back into the hell i had finally just gotten myself out of ( i should tell yu that before my arrest i was taking anything from 5 to 6 80s a day or more.. whatever i could get.... so i tried going to N.A. , addictions outreach, whatever addictions services i could find and even though i was able to tapper myself back i couldnt get past the last 20 mgs or so. even though i hated what i was doing i just couldnt stop.... SO , i ended up going on to Methadone, i take 85 mgs a day and have been off of the oxys since march. i finally feel NORMAL again!! so, MY ADVICE TO YOU IS, think of your situation.. how addicted are you? if you DO quit cold turkey do you think that you have the self control to keep yourself from going back? Because there is alot more to an addiction than actually doing a drug! And i know what some people probably think about Methadone, its just a substitute for another drug, but from someone who is on it , would you rather be jamming pills up your nose or however you take them , trying to come up with money or ways to get another pill a couple times a day, trying to find someone to get them from etc (whatever your situation is) why not atleast take a trip to a clinic and talk to a DOCTOR who KNOWS more about it than any of us do, ( trust me it will be worth it) even if you decide not to go onto the methadone or suboxone they might be able to offer you more supports to help you through it !! You asked in one of your posts if you can even go on methadone at such a low mg intake and someone replied that you have to have it in your system to be accepted onto the program, not true, the will give you a urine test , yes and even though you might not have any in your system at the time if you could.. would you?Plus you will also have to do blood work before going on the program. Im sure that when you talk to the doctor and explain your situation , they would be more than willing to help. the difference in your situation with such a low intake is that methadone might not be right for you because it is intended for people who take more and have a harder time getting off them (like me) so Suboxone might be the right choice for you ... they would simply put you onto the suboxone and taper you off of it. Im not trying to tell you what to do, im simply trying to give you insight and options ,so please dont mistake that.like i said it is up to you what you decide to do with this.. Somehow this ended up being more like a novel (sorry) i hope it helped !
    < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 10-18-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Please do not post personal information, such as real name and/or email.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #23
    needshelpchris
    (female)

needshelpchris HB User

I agree with kraus, you may get through the withdrawals, but the cravings are what got me everytime I tried to quit. So I decided to go the Suboxone route. And, yes, people on this site will say "you are just substituting," however, I no longer have cravings, only had to go through "mild" withdrawals......and within 15 mins of my first dose I started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm also no longer thinking all day about how many I have left, how will I get more, who will have them......? All those feelings have passed........
    In the end, it is YOUR decision, bt this is just my experience good luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-18-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

I definitely wouldn't judge the method in which you handled your addiction. My belief is that the "dependence" is the part I'm dealing with. I have no cravings for the drug itself. That's sounds misleading, but what I mean by that is the only craving I have for the drug is due to the fact that I know in my head it will make this pain go away and that all I have to do is walk into my bedroom and have some. This is not a strong urge at all and feels more like the way it feels to want a tylenol to make a headache go away.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #25
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

Update day 3.

Well I told work I had a doctor's appointment in the morning and that I would be working from home after. I just didn't want to take any more of the drug even if it means losing my job (Which it probably won't). I didn't get any sleep last night at all. Maybe two hours total of really torturous sleep. The restlessness is by FAR the worst aspect of this detox. Nothing else even comes close. Tonight I think I'll get some robax (muscle relaxant) and see if that does it. Other than the restlessness, I feel a little better today I think. I tend to feel worse as the evening progresses so it's hard to tell now, but I really think I may have turned the corner.

I'm really tired, I'm sure due to lack of sleep as well as detox. Anyway, not a lot to report today other than the fact that I did end up missing work, and that I THINK I might be starting to feel better.

Seriously any additional tips on the restlessness would be greatly appreciated. It's hell at night...

Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #26
    musicman3
    (male)

You are doing well Jeff. 72 hours is the turning point and it slowly gets better. I was actually feeling a bit better last week, but as I said, I have had 10 days of a lot of work to do and it wasn't safe for me to continue the detox while travelling the country.

The restlesness is the worst. That is why I take as many hot baths as I can stand. I will be so glad to get this over with. I juts have to make it through 5 days and then I do ok. Even though I have the ambien and the xanax, they really do nothing.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
    michellemenace
    Inactive
    (female)

michellemenace HB User

jeffster;

Why do you think they call it "kicking the habit" lol.. it sucks! I remember trying to sleep, but it felt like an electric shock going through my body (especially my legs) i hated it.

good you're quitting it keep it up!

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-18-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #28
    michellemenace
    Inactive
    (female)

michellemenace HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by musicman3 View Post
    Jeff, Take immodium. It will help and it does not effect your withdrawal. I would rather you take the immodium than take the opiate to get you through!! Immodium has always helped the bathroom situation for me.
    I was going to suggest that.. it does help and you should totally try it...

Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #29
    michellemenace
    Inactive
    (female)

michellemenace HB User

jeffster;

my roomie is on methadone and also takes lorazepam daily for anxiety and because he takes the lorazepam daily , they wont give him carrys so he has to go to the clinic EVERY day to get his drink. Its like being on a leash.. so going cold turkey is probably the best (if you're able to) with methadone (here anyway) you have to **** on cam (for some people thats an issue) just sayin..

Last edited by mod-anon; 10-18-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 10-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #30
    jeffster
    (male)

jeffster HB User

It's relatively easy to get methadone "carries" where I live and I know people who have made use of them.

I'm far enough along now that I'm not going to use anything. Still restless, but most of my other symptoms are under control now.

Closed Thread