It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• New here & need help with vicodin taper getting off them!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
    beginagain31
    (female)

beginagain31 HB User
    Question New here & need help with vicodin taper getting off them!

Hello everybody… I am new here Just wanted to introduce myself & tell my story as I begin my road to recovery. I am a Certified Nurses Assistant & “use to work" @ a Nursing home. That was until I had a horse accident on June 7th. I was bucked off my quarter horse & ended up being knocked unconscious. We live out in the country so I laid in a ditch until a neighbor lady who lived about a mile down the gravel road drove by & saw me. She called 9-1-1 & told me not to move until the ambulance came strapped me to a board & gave me O2 as my body was going into shock. They rushed me to the nearest hospital where I tried telling the ER doc my whole right side was all messed up because every time I went to stand up I “went to sleep” passed out. I couldn‘t walk & my hip hurt very bad. ER Dr. did x-rays & told me I broke 5 metacarpals in my right hand but other than that I just had “abrasions” & would be very sore. I was put on vicodin for pain. I was taking (2) 5-500’s every 4 hours. I was referred to an orthopedic for my after care once the swelling went down they put a cast on my right hand. After 6 weeks the cast was removed x-rays taken still not healed up as much as it should have been so a new cast was put on and another follow-up visit was scheduled. At that time I was still limping I c/o hip pain & demanded an x-ray at my ortho appt. the ortho did an x-ray & an MRI or u/s of my right hip & detected a hip fracture (which the ER missed) By now my cast was removed from my hand & I was put on crutches & given percocet. I had started to feel a little better over time as far as pain wise & cut back on the percocet. This is when I started to feel really crappy; where my whole body ached; I felt nauseas, had diarrhea, no appetite, & at first thought I had the flu until I felt like I was crawling out of my skin, very high anxiety, couldn’t sleep, hands were shaking & so on. At my next follow up appt. I told my Dr. how I was feeling but c/o right foot pain. & sure enough a “stress fracture” was found in my rt foot. D/c’d the percocet but given more vicodin & a walking cam for my foot. About 6 weeks ago I woke up @ 3:30 a.m. in extreme pain in my outer right hip. I went into ER where I was diagnosed with Trochanteric Bursitis I was given a RX for more vicodin & Naproxen Sodium & told to follow up with my dr. I made an appt. I “was told & thought that I was scheduled today for a ”cortisone injection Well; when I went into my appointment I never got a cortisone injection but my Dr. said she will refill my vicodin & added Tramadol which is generic for Ultracet. I was also referred back to an orthopedic dr. (They will be calling me to schedule that appointment) She told me I have to start tapering off the Vicodin or I may end up in rehab. If I couldn’t “cut back” When I went to fill the Tramadol/Ultracet the pharmacist told me that this medication may interfere with my Paxil I take for depression (something about effecting the serotonin levels) & to watch for side effects. I gave my last refill of 60 count pills to my husband & asked him to help me monitor how often I take then & to help me wean/taper off them because when I have them in my purse it is too easy to take them & not pay attention to what time it is or how often I take 2 at a time each day! What scares me most is the anxiety I know I will feel. Oh & I have also been taking remeron, alprazolam/xanax & clonzopin for the past 4 years for anxiety when I was diagnosed with depression & anxiety & panic disorder. I am also aware of how addicting benzos are because when I was pregnant I was suppose to get off them & quick. So I know what anxiety & panic attacks do to a person. My main question is… What is the best way & how do I taper & wean off this nasty drug that helped me so much in the beginning but is now being my worst nightmare? Also what do you know about Tramadol & Paxil as I have yet to take the Tramadol? & I want to get back to work asap but am very afraid. Sorry this ended up being so long & Any positive encouragement & advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
    rosebuddy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB Userrosebuddy HB User
    Re: New here & need help with vicodin taper getting off them!

Hi,
    tramadol is generic for Ultram which can also be addicting even though it's not classified as a narcotic. (Just do a search of ultram or tramadol on this board.) I tapered off of Percocet (oxycodone) and then used the Thomas Recipe which is simliar to detox at the top of this board. I am on day 34 and feeling fine. The xanax and klonopin will help with the withdrawals.
    Keep your chin up and be determined and you can do this. Prayer helped me also.
    I have a blog if you want to read it. It starts with day 1.

Closed Thread