It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

quitting suboxone and oxycontin cold turkey

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
johnl2
(male)

johnl2 HB User
quitting suboxone and oxycontin cold turkey

I am quitting suboxone and oxycontin cold turkey, I took them days apart because of the long half-life of suboxone. If I couldn't get one, I'd get the other, and it's been this way for a long time. I am doing my best to stay clean and I was wondering if anybody has any tips on staying sober and chugging through it. I have been clean for 2 days today at 5pm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
POLLY POCKET
(female)

POLLY POCKET HB User
Re: quitting suboxone and oxycontin cold turkey

Hey!! Awesome on your efforts to fight this!! Unfortunately, I have no words of wisdom-I went cold turkey, I am on day 4. I just got"mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore" attitude!!!
What helped me was to wean to a really low dose prior to the cold turkey. This takes alot of willpower- so I really had to plan. I also took some time off from work.I didn't know how I was going to do , or how sick I would get.I found that alot of my problem was habit, waking up, taking 2 percs to get my day started etc..I woke up this morning and actually felt good, I felt normal. I remebered that this is how I use to feel all the time.Going to the gym in a little while. I know that I am not out of the woods, but today , I feel like I have some kind of control...today!!!This message board gave me strength.I will be praying for you!! I hope you do the same for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to POLLY POCKET For This Useful Post:
johnl2 (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
johnl2
(male)

johnl2 HB User

Thank you for the kind words. I will def be praying for you too. Are you detoxing from subs? Anyway, I find this message board to be very helpful as well. It's just nice to have somebody to speak with and reply to you. Have fun at the gym, that always makes me feel better, and you hang in there as well.

The following user gives a hug of support to johnl2:
POLLY POCKET (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
POLLY POCKET
(female)

POLLY POCKET HB User

No.. I wasn't on subox...That would have been the end to my military carrer, I think. It's amazing how these Dr's get you hooked with no regard to the long term affects/addiction that can happen. In the military , they hand out percs like crazy. They brag about having a great sub abuse program..but if you seek help through these programs , your labeled and booted out. A real catch 22. So I have been fighting this by myself. When I found this site, it really gave me hope. I did not feel so all alone.
All I can say is.. you are stronger than you think you are. This will pass. There will be an end to it. Just know that it will be tough..and sometimes unbearable. But you have the power inside to do it. Think about your past accomplishments,look for that fire in your belly that is there, it may be hidding right now..but it is there.
Your thoughts will be preoccupied with the addiction the physical pain along with the mental urges. Fight it. You have the power..in you!!! This time next week you will feel diferent , think different and really be proud of yourself. The desire will never go away , I don't think. But each day that goes by, you become stronger,
You are in the process of retraining your mind and body.
You have the power..this will pass..I promise!!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
johnl2
(male)

johnl2 HB User
Talking Re: quitting suboxone and oxycontin cold turkey

Thank you so much for that boost!!! You just made me feel so much better about stopping. I'm not really sick yet, because suboxone has a 36 hour half life, which means it takes 3 days for it to stop working completely. So after day 3 I'll be in lots of pain, and at that point, I'm gonna need all the support I can get. Thank you for being there, I think we should all be here for each other. This is the right way to do this, together, ppl from all over the world reaching out to help one another. I really like this forum. I hope all is well with you, and just like me, you have it in you as well to stop, and put this addiction down for good. It's possible, and I know it is because somebody like me stopped for 2 whole years.

Closed Thread